porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
Sunday’s victory over the Chicago Bears was Green Bay's most complete effort in over a year.

The passing game returned to its elite status, as quarterback Aaron Rodgers dismantled Chicago’s secondary. The much-maligned offensive line kept Rodgers upright, while the receiving corps finally played up to its potential. Jordy Nelson was spectacular, catching 10 passes for 108 yards and two touchdowns. Randall Cobb added 113 yards and a touchdown on seven catches. Cobb’s performance is especially noteworthy after last week’s dud against Detroit.

The Packers scored on six of their seven possessions, with a blocked field being their only failed drive of the game. In fact, Green Bay didn’t punt in this game. Neither did the Bears. For only the second time in NFL history (1992: Buffalo at San Francisco), there was no punt in an NFL game.

The running game remains shoddy, with Eddie Lacy rushing for just 48 yards on 17 carries. Solving the rushing woes remains crucial to Green Bay’s long-term success. Lacy seems to lack the quickness he demonstrated a year ago, indicating he may be regressing.

The defense, however, turned in another encouraging performance. Yes, Chicago gained nearly 500 yards of offense, but a majority of the gains came in the first half. The Packers played much better in the second half, allowing less than 200 yards of offense and surrendering zero points. They also intercepted quarterback Jay Cutler twice and sacked him once. Green Bay’s defense has now played well in six of their last eight quarters.

You don‘t make or break a season in September, yet the last few weeks have been trying times for Packers fans. Perhaps we should heed the advice of Rodgers and take a week to relax.

Turning Point

Trailing by just four points, Chicago drove down the field in the final minutes of the first half. With no timeouts and just nine second remaining, head coach Marc Trestman opted to take a shot at the end zone. Cutler found tight end Martellus Bennett at the goal line. All he had to do was power his way into the end zone and the Bears would've gone into halftime with the lead, yet rookie safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix managed to tackle Bennett short of the goal line. Time ran out and the Packers went into the half with a 21-17 lead. They proceeded to outscore Chicago 21-0 in the second half.

Unsung Hero

A big difference between this week and last week was the offensive line’s pass protection. The Bears were without defensive end Jared Allen, but they did upgrade the defensive line in the off-season by signing defensive lineman Lamar Houston and Willie Young. Neither registered a sack against the Pack. Houston didn’t even make a tackle. The offensive line finished the game without allowing a hit on Rodgers.

Stud of the Game

Rodgers was nearly flawless on the afternoon, completing 22-of-28 passes for 302 yards and four touchdowns. Rodgers improved his career record against the Bears to 11-3.

Looking Ahead

A Thursday night tilt against Minnesota marks the end of Green Bay’s three-game stretch against divisional opponents.

Minnesota quarterback Teddy Bridgewater led the Vikings to 558 total yards against Atlanta, their most yards since 2004. Bridgewater injured his ankle, though, late in the fourth quarter of the 41-28 victory. His status for Thursday’s game is unknown, though recent signs indicate he'll make his second career start on Thursday.

Keep an eye on Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes. The 2012 first-round pick features the size and speed to compete with Nelson. I suspect Rhodes will shadow Nelson for much of the game, forcing Rodgers to look the way of one of the other receivers. The Packers may need another big performance from Cobb, especially if the running game continues to struggle.

Please visit Row12.com  for weekly articles done by myself on college and fantasy football. We also have a great staff of writers that cover every major sport.
warhawk
9 years ago
Very good Porky.

I would say on the "Looking Ahead" section that the Packers have to play better than the Falcons did last week or they will lose the game. That was awful. They didn't harass Bridgewater back there nearly enough and the coverage was a joke. I don't care what QB is out there when receivers are running wide open it's a pretty easy game. Not saying he didn't make a few tight throws too but the highlights reel showed guys just running wide open for the most part.

I give up looking at past games by teams and trying to determine how that might mean the next game will go. I was all over the Packers against the Bears because it was pretty obvious they really needed a win. I look at this week pretty much the same. A division game at home with a .500 record is just not one that a team can afford to lose.

Will the defend the run better? Will the offense perform two games in a row? I don't know.

Packers are the better team>Division game>at home>need this W= Packers win.
"The train is leaving the station."
Smokey
9 years ago
Who is Porky88 and who ordained him Minister of information? Not that he is right or wrong, but I want to see a Doctors qualifications before I allow him to treat me. What are Porky88's qualifications ? Did he ever play the game? [vikes]
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
9 years ago
Porky has a keen football mind. And his input is always appreciated here.
You can agree or disagree with his opinions.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago

Porky has a keen football mind. And his input is always appreciated here.
You can agree or disagree with his opinions.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Wanting to learn about someone does not suggest agreement/ or disagreement. Many who claim to be so called "experts" are not. I know a marine from another forum that also wrights for a Fantasy Football web site. Much of what he writes is just his opinion or a result of twisting the stats.
I'm sure Porky is an honest poster, but I'd still like to know a little about him. Did he ever play the game ? Is he a professional writer or an amater like most of us ? What area of the Country is he posting from ? etc.
UserPostedImage
Gilligan
9 years ago
Good analysis Porky.

I have enjoyed your take on the game. I checked out your sports site and now visit it frequently.
You may be a Packer fan here, but your outlook is very objective and very well informed.

Keep up the excellent work!
I am chosen by many but taken by no one.
Smokey
9 years ago
Reading more into what someone writes, than they actually wrote , is often unfair. I never said that Porky was good or bad. I would however my questions answered .
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
9 years ago
Thanks for the read.

Well done young man!

R.P.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
macbob
9 years ago

Reading more into what someone writes, than they actually wrote , is often unfair. I never said that Porky was good or bad. I would however my questions answered .

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Your questions are patently offensive. The offensive nature of your questions makes your posts look like an assault on Porky's right to be posting on this site.

Who is Porky88 and who ordained him Minister of information?

Smokey wrote:

What are Porky88's qualifications ? Did he ever play the game?

Smokey wrote:

Who does he have to be to post his Packers opinion/analysis on this website? What qualifications do you require him to have, Smokey?

If having played the game is a requirement to express our opinion on this site there will be very few people posting.

Many who claim to be so called "experts" are not. I know a marine from another forum that also wrights for a Fantasy Football web site. Much of what he writes is just his opinion or a result of twisting the stats. I'm sure Porky is an honest poster, but I'd still like to know a little about him.

Smokey wrote:

Wow. Porky's a dude posting on a Packer fan website. (Sorry, Zero...THE most AWESOME ass-kicking Packer website on the PLANET).

EVERYTHING that's posted here is "just his opinion". We may try and use stats to back up our arguments, but that doesn't make the statements any less an opinion.

Did he ever play the game ? Is he a professional writer or an amater like most of us ? What area of the Country is he posting from ?

Smokey wrote:

What area of the country is he posting from??? What does THAT have to do with anything? Guys from all over the world post here.

Did he ever play the game? Do you mean at the professional level (and if so, do you mean to say that only former professional football players can post their analysis here)? Do we have to have been NFL players, or is playing other pro leagues acceptable? CFL? Arena Football? Lingerie Football (ew, Porky...now I've got to scrub my brain with a wire brush).

Ultimately, why does it matter at all what Porky's background is? Read his analysis. Either you agree or you don't. Post a comment about the parts you agree/disagree with and start a discussion.

Personally, I appreciate the time and effort it took Porky to analyze the game and provide his analysis. Thanks, Porky, it was a good read.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.