steveishere
9 years ago

When I talk about free agents, I'm generally talking about outside free agents. That is, players that didn't play for the Packers the past season. Resigning a teams own players generally keeps the core in tact, but signing outside free agents to fill in gaps (e.g. Pickett, Woodson, Peppers) can seriously address obvious weaknesses. Resigning a teams free agents isn't likely to address weaknesses from the previous season. Without substantial outside free agents, most the pressure is on the draft and/or UDFA. That makes it tough if one isn't drafting very well every season.

I have no interest in Ted signing players just to sign players or just to be active in free agency to say that he is. I want him to sign players that can help this team, and I think there are a few out there every couple of years.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

That makes no sense though. What was a weakness last year is irrelevant. What matters is what the team looks like in it's current form. When we signed Sam Shields as a FA we needed a starting CB. We could have let Shields go and sign Aqib Talib (for example) and you guys would get all excited but the end result is we signed a starting CB where one was needed regardless of what the players name is.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

That makes no sense though. What was a weakness last year is irrelevant. What matters is what the team looks like in it's current form. When we signed Sam Shields as a FA we needed a starting CB. We could have let Shields go and sign Aqib Talib (for example) and you guys would get all excited but the end result is we signed a starting CB where one was needed regardless of what the players name is.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

no what dodd says does makes sense. If GB has 3 quality WR and one of them becomes a FA and they resign him they still have 3 quality WRs. If they entered the offseason with a problem at TE and they sign their WR then they still have a problem at TE.

One can also ask why did their player end up as a FA in the first place? If they sign their former player then obviously the player didn't have an issue with staying with the Packers. They could have signed the guy the year before he became a FA. So does it really count when they sign a player they could have signed a long time ago? To some degree but not so much.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Not only that, but Ted is arguably best in the league at finding these "gem" style players. So much so that it creates a feedback loop, where players know they have a chance if they come here, so they're more interested in doing so.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
hardrocker950
9 years ago

no what dodd says does makes sense. If GB has 3 quality WR and one of them becomes a FA and they resign him they still have 3 quality WRs. If they entered the offseason with a problem at TE and they sign their WR then they still have a problem at TE.

One can also ask why did their player end up as a FA in the first place? If they sign their former player then obviously the player didn't have an issue with staying with the Packers. They could have signed the guy the year before he became a FA. So does it really count when they sign a player they could have signed a long time ago? To some degree but not so much.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I agree. For an example - Ted passed on all the safeties in FA and drafted Haha. While Haha has been pretty good - if he had turned out to be a bum, everyone would be screaming for Ted's head on a platter for not picking up a FA[palm]
DoddPower
9 years ago

I don't know. The Packers weaknesses have been consistent over the past several years in my opinion. Safety, offensive line, line backer, and the next tier of defensive line, etc. I think the previous seasons made that very obvious. Most of those weak areas were weak the previous season and have remained that way through the past few seasons and to some extent, into this season. I don't think last years weaknesses are irrelevant at all unless they were actually seriously addressed. And by seriously addressed, I don't mean a few more MD Jennings, Carl Bradfords, Thorton, Banjo, etc. I'm talking more about a Julius Peppers or at least a draft pick that shows some significant progress and ability. That hasn't happened enough to these positions. How long has the Packers offensive line, safety, and linebacker been a weakness for the Packers now? Those still aren't positions of strength. Far from it. Ted found a starting left tackle in Bacteria. That's great, but he's still not good enough, from my perspective. He might be able to get there, but he's just average at this point.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

When I talk about free agents, I'm generally talking about outside free agents. That is, players that didn't play for the Packers the past season. Resigning a teams own players generally keeps the core in tact, but signing outside free agents to fill in gaps (e.g. Pickett, Woodson, Peppers) can seriously address obvious weaknesses. Resigning a teams free agents isn't likely to address weaknesses from the previous season. Without substantial outside free agents, most the pressure is on the draft and/or UDFA. That makes it tough if one isn't drafting very well every season.

I have no interest in Ted signing players just to sign players or just to be active in free agency to say that he is. I want him to sign players that can help this team, and I think there are a few out there every couple of years.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

So signing outside players to fill gaps is good, but resigning current players to avoid weaknesses developing is not?

If Packers had signed Byrd to address safety, but allowed Shields to walk... That would have been good Free Agent work on Ted's behalf? Our team would have been better?

Not sure I agree.
DakotaT
9 years ago
Maybe what pisses off the pro-Free Agent boys is that the first week of free agency is when Ted decides to take his vacation. That speaks volumes as to what our top personnel guy thinks about free agency. I'm pretty fiscally conservative myself, but sometimes you have to overpay to bring in the talent that puts you over the top. I would sure rather do that than overpay for mediocre players like Brad Jones and Burnett. Just because their salaries match what the rest of the league is paying doesn't justify the money paid to the pedestrian player.
UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago
WHile thoroughly highjacking this thread to FA discussion, it is important to me to remember that activity is not progress. Signing FA does not mean improvement.

A good friend of mine is a Bears fan. Sad, but true. He was excited last winter when the Bears signed a FA safety. Bear's safeties were arguably worse than the Packers last year. So he saw activity and was excited. The FA they signed? MD Jennings. Activity? Yes. Progress? No. He was cut in camp. The signing appeased the fan base, but it had no impact on winning ballgames.

I would prefer Ted Thompson spend his time on winning ballgames and not on making the fan base happy. If we win ballgames, most of us are happy anyway.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
In my opinion signing your own FAs is required to maintain the Status Quo. Should we have needs beyond our current Status Quo this is when we need to either draft or sign FAs from other teams.

I commend Ted Thompson for his work at trying to keep the core together and sign some of the key guys, but has that actually improved the team or just prevented it from getting worse?
steveishere
9 years ago

In my opinion signing your own FAs is required to maintain the Status Quo. Should we have needs beyond our current Status Quo this is when we need to either draft or sign FAs from other teams.

I commend Ted Thompson for his work at trying to keep the core together and sign some of the key guys, but has that actually improved the team or just prevented it from getting worse?

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

If they are FA then the team is already worse. When this coming FA happens and the only RT on our roster is Don Barclay it would make the team better if we signed Bulaga. It's the nature of the league that there is no such thing as status quo. You'll never have the same team twice, some guys walk and some you have to bring back but bringing a player back is not the equivalent of doing nothing. We could have let Sam Shields leave in FA and signed a S but then our starting CBs would have been Tramon and House. I'm not sure that's a whole lot better than Tramon/Shields to go with our drafted S.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.