MintBaconDrivel
9 years ago
Davante Adams said something about Aaron might not like him saying anything about the "signal". You can bet this was Aaron's way of saying STFU kid.

GREEN BAY — Davante Adams apparently didn't see a sign from Aaron Rodgers on the fake-spike play that helped the Green Bay Packers beat the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

The rookie wide receiver may have thought he saw a signal from his quarterback, but Rodgers said Tuesday that he never did anything to let Adams know that he was throwing him the ball.

Rodgers said Tuesday on his weekly radio show on 540 ESPN and ESPNWisconsin.com  that he never let any of his teammates know that he was planning to fake a clock-stopping spike and improvised the play on the fly. While he made eye contact with wide receiver Randall Cobb before the play — and Cobb consequently ran a pass pattern — it wasn't until after he'd gotten the snap that he and Adams connected.

"I yelled 'Clock!' which means spike, and I didn't spike it and threw it to Davante. Anything that anybody else has said about it, my apologies to those people, but it is probably slightly exaggerated," Rodgers said. "That's really what happened."

Asked after the game about the signal Rodgers gave him about the fake-spike play, Adams said, "It's real subtle, because he's doing it so other people are going to be able to pick up on it. He's doing his job, and I've got to make sure I see it because it's on me if I don't do it right."

Said Rodgers Tuesday: "I don't know what he's talking about, and that's the truth."

Whatever happened, it worked. Adams caught the pass, taking advantage of the large cushion cornerback Cortland Finnegan was giving him to get 12 yards before getting out of bounds with 6 seconds left at the Dolphins 4-yard line.

"The last thing I did [before the snap] was make sure we had a legal formation," Rodgers said. "So I looked out to the right and made sure we had a legal formation and as I did, I noticed that the corner was way off of Davante. Knowing that we had second-and-6ish from outside of the 10, I thought we might be able to get some cheap yards. And all that is happening in a very short amount of time, and you've got to make a quick decision.

"[If] you spike it, you have two plays. You fake spike it and get out of bounds, he got 12 yards. Obviously there's a big difference between two plays from the 16 and two plays from the 4-yard line."

On the next play, tight end Andrew Quarless caught the game-winning touchdown.

"I was glad Davante was looking at him," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of the non-spike. "Because I've known Aaron, when he does the fake spike in practice, when they don't look at him, it's not a good thing."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
It is amazing how many renditions there is on a single play. Every day the story seems to change a little.
UserPostedImage
porky88
9 years ago

Davante Adams said something about Aaron might not like him saying anything about the "signal". You can bet this was Aaron's way of saying STFU kid.

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel 

Teams know about it now. If it's there, they'll find it during film study. That might be why Rodgers is downplaying the issue.

Or perhaps Adams really is full of crap. It was a pretty cool moment regardless of how it came to be.

yooperfan
9 years ago
Calling teammates liars can't be good for the chemistry.
He could have let it slide.
Laser Gunns
9 years ago
I don't get why lie about it?

I saw it, diddnt know if it was anything at the time.

But anyone with a recording can go look at what the signal was.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
sschind
9 years ago
Here is what really happened. Rodgers said right away that when he first looked Adams wasn't looking at him and he just hoped he would look before he threw it or something like that. The receivers are supposed to be paying attention to the QB at all times watching for signals but for this there is no signal. Being a rookie Adams just assumed there would have been a signal and he missed it but rather than get into trouble for not knowing it he said he caught it at the last second.

OR

Rodgers and Adams cooked this whole thing up. Now teams will be preoccupied looking for a signal every time the Packers are in a clock the ball situation and there is no signal or is there?
sschind
9 years ago

I don't get why lie about it?

I saw it, diddnt know if it was anything at the time.

But anyone with a recording can go look at what the signal was.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Or can they.

Was there a signal or was it a dummy signal? Maybe there really is no signal and Rodgers just made a signal so other teams will think there is a signal and Adams saw a signal and thought it was the signal when it really wasn't the signal because there isn't a signal but he said he saw the signal rather than admit he didn't know if there was or wasn't a signal.

Maybe there is a signal and Adams spilled the beans that there is a signal so now teams will be watching for the signal so Rodgers had to do damage control and insist there is no signal.

It's crazy I tell you, crazy like a fox and there is not a signal thing you or I can do about it.

I gotta go now, the guys in the white coats are signaling that my time on the computer is up.
Cheesey
9 years ago
Here's what REALLY happened. Aaron Rodgers sent a telepathic message directly to Adams.
That is the REAL story!
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

I have no idea what happened... but I know when watching it... I found it really really odd that Jordy Nelson in the slot didn't get out of his stance while he was looking around after the ball was snapped while Cobb burst out into a pass pattern right away... which made me think something was signaled... as normally after the ball is snapped (even on spikes) the WRs get out of their stance and do something... even if it's just to go back to the huddle. That might be nothing... but it seemed odd to me.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (57m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.