all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
I've wanted to get this off my chest, and I won't start a different thread.

What we learned: Bob Sanders DOES NOT need or deserve to be fired.

What we learned: McCarthy's play calling is fine... he knows the pulse of the team, plans for the opponent, and calls plays that will put his players in position to make plays.

What we learned: Importance of execution. Bob Sanders of Mike McCarthy can only put the players in positions to make plays. At the end of the day, the players have to be the ones to execute, to do their jobs.

Lack of Execution can make the coaches look disorganized and unprepared, proper execution can produce great results (as it did yesterday).

This team has all the makings of being a good team: tremendous veteran leaders, emerging playmakers, a youthful willingness to learn and improve, and a great coaching staff.

This is a heck of a team, as long as they execute as they are supposed to, stick together and play as a unit, not a one man show. Our coaches are so under-rated that it is sad.

This team was not going to stay down forever, contrary to what people believed after losses to Atlanta, Tampa, and Dallas. This team, IMO, is right there in terms of ability to compete with elite teams like Dallas, but only if they execute at a consistently high level.

/end of rant against those who dared to doubt this team. :ramboface:
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Pack93z
15 years ago
What I learned.. if Brett gave the Colts tips on this game.. he has no future in the consulting business. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
15 years ago

I've wanted to get this off my chest, and I won't start a different thread.

What we learned: Bob Sanders DOES NOT need or deserve to be fired.

What we learned: McCarthy's play calling is fine... he knows the pulse of the team, plans for the opponent, and calls plays that will put his players in position to make plays.

What we learned: Importance of execution. Bob Sanders of Mike McCarthy can only put the players in positions to make plays. At the end of the day, the players have to be the ones to execute, to do their jobs.

Lack of Execution can make the coaches look disorganized and unprepared, proper execution can produce great results (as it did yesterday).

This team has all the makings of being a good team: tremendous veteran leaders, emerging playmakers, a youthful willingness to learn and improve, and a great coaching staff.

This is a heck of a team, as long as they execute as they are supposed to, stick together and play as a unit, not a one man show. Our coaches are so under-rated that it is sad.

This team was not going to stay down forever, contrary to what people believed after losses to Atlanta, Tampa, and Dallas. This team, IMO, is right there in terms of ability to compete with elite teams like Dallas, but only if they execute at a consistently high level.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

AADP .. While I agree with you assessment that neither need to be fired, I can tell you this.. look at the last two weeks of playcalling, both defensively and offensively moreso.. and tell me you don't notice a huge difference in the mix.

Also.. missing is the intensity of the team, which in my opinion is part of the coaches responsibilities.. making sure the team is in the proper mindset.

Much better the past two weeks.. I for one never asked for either to be fired, but no one is past criticism on this football team the looked flat post the Dallas game.

I think the coaching staff have done a much better job these past two weeks. INTENSITY.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

AADP .. While I agree with you assessment that neither need to be fired, I can tell you this.. look at the last two weeks of playcalling, both defensively and offensively moreso.. and tell me you don't notice a huge difference in the mix.

Also.. missing is the intensity of the team, which in my opinion is part of the coaches responsibilities.. making sure the team is in the proper mindset.

Much better the past two weeks.. I for one never asked for either to be fired, but no one is past criticism on this football team the looked flat post the Dallas game.

I think the coaching staff have done a much better job these past two weeks. INTENSITY.

"pack93z" wrote:

93z, my thing with playcalling is that when players are executing, and playing with intensity everything looks to be the right call. I don't think McCarthy changed his philosophy in two weeks, but I do think he did have a more aggressive nature in this week's game. But that's not to say he was calling plays that didn't allow players to make plays during the three losses, our execution on ST, D, and O fell short. When you have high pad level, aren't running crisp routes, etc. then obviously the calls will leave something to be desired because players aren't executing properly.

Part of the blame has to be on Sanders and McCarthy for that lack of execution, and as you pointed out the lack of intensity that was present during the three losses. But to get caught up in notions that this D scheme is too simplistic to work, Sanders isn't creative, we are too vanilla, the ZBS is the root of o-line problems, etc. is just plain silly. To call for Sanders to be fired to wake up the players who aren't doing their job in the first place... that's misplacing the brunt of the blame, IMO.

Coaches have to be held accountable, but you can't shift all the blame to any one coach on this staff. The coaches haven't changed completely in the past two/three weeks, they still believe in the philosophy, principles, and fundamentals they believed in during the three losses. The players are just executing way more than they had been, doing their jobs, controlling gaps, etc.

People who felt it was time to panic, a major change was needed to get things in gear were simply overreacting. To doubt a team this talented and well coached.... well it should not happen. People should have realized it was not a matter of 'if the ship would get righted', but 'when it would get righted'.
zombieslayer
15 years ago

The Packers' first five drives went 13, 8, 11, 10 and 12 plays, and Green Bay had a season-best 19 first downs in the first half.

Bam!

And that's exactly what I was saying about an O, how the O can make the D better. That O will suck the life right out of the opponents.

Notice how our D was completely lit up in the 2nd half that game? They were nice and rested, and pumped up. The opposing O gets desperate, and Ds love to exploit desperation. Desperate Os do stupid things.

AADP - Mike McCarthy changed his playcalling. It WAS bad earlier this year. Now, he's starting to be AGGRESSIVE again, something he wasn't earlier in the year. I hope he keeps this up.

As I've said a hundred times, I loved the Mike McCarthy of '07. He was awesome. It's good to see him back.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

AADP - Mike McCarthy changed his playcalling. It WAS bad earlier this year. Now, he's starting to be AGGRESSIVE again, something he wasn't earlier in the year. I hope he keeps this up.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Zombie, was McCarthy being aggressive when he called a run on third-and-10 inside the red zone with the Packers up by double digits?

If the Packers had lost, McCarthy would've been called out for that play. However, given the possibility that our team was stifling the Colts in all aspects of the game, McCarthy realized that 3 points would be satisfactory.

Which goes to another point: how do we know Rodgers didn't change the play to run? If he did, it's hard to say McCarthy got conservative, because technically it was Rodgers that decided to play it safe.

That's my larger point overall, when things are going your way the calls seem perfectly fine. When there is no execution, and you have no rhythm on offense, it is so easy (and unfair, IMO) to put blame on the coach and his play calling.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Maybe that wasn't a run play called and Aaron audibled to a run instead?
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Definitely possible.

Which would then make it unfair to say McCarthy was calling bad plays during the losses. How do we know Rodgers wasn't one to audible calls / choose the more conservative option in a run/pass option during the Dallas/Tampa/Atlanta losses? We don't.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Definitely possible.

Which would then make it unfair to say McCarthy was calling bad plays during the losses. How do we know Rodgers wasn't one to audible calls / choose the more conservative option in a run/pass option during the Dallas/Tampa/Atlanta losses? We don't.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Exactly! Which is why I softened my stance on ripping into McCarthy's play calling because he gives the QB the latitude to change the play.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Definitely possible.

Exactly! Which is why I softened my stance on ripping into McCarthy's play calling because he gives the QB the latitude to change the play.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I agree, but I think there is a general tendency amongst fans (and I'd venture a guess fans of all teams, not just the Pack) that coaches get too much blame when things go wrong.

I just got so ticked off reading some people start thinking this team is dead and buried. Come on, don't give up so easily on a team that went 14-4 only a year ago with so many of the same players and all of the same coaches.

I'm just basically ecstatic with the win still, I mean I'll be honest I'm believed this team had it in them but got tired of waiting for them to show it on the field. Then they did. And I feel like I'm on top of the world. You know, sort of like having a pleasant surpsrise, this team made me so happy yesterday. Of all the games this season, I'd have least expected this game to be the one all the lights finally came on for good, in light of the Colts performance last week.

HELLL YEAHHHHHH!!!!! :whipitgood:
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.