nerdmann
9 years ago

He got hurt on the 1st series of the 1st pre-season game his rookie year.

He never had a chance to "light it up", by the time he was healthy enough, he was to far behind to make any great contribution.

Now he is a starter coming back from injruy, hopefully he can pick up where he left off and keep improving.

"Dom doesn't like rookies"
Just another of the internet myths you love to hang on to.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Dude had a "kill shot" on the QB, so the RT tripped him. Dude was looking VERY good all camp.

If you'll recall last year, Dom stated he didn't want to play rookies. His defense was "too complicated." Not me saying it, Dom.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

I only call Datone that because -so far- he has been injured more than he has played.

and I've seen that movie too many damn times with this team to expect his career to go any better than any other of TT's injury-riddled high picks.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

The only games he's missed so far are the previous three . He played in all 17 games for us last year but as the year went on his role on defense was steadily decreased to the point he wasn't even being used on passing downs and he played more ST than on the defense.

Green Bay Packers' Week 15 playing time breakdown 

As Datone Jones' playing time has decreased on defense, it has increased on special teams. The first-round pick is now on the kickoff return unit.

Mike Daniels sack for loss of 7 yards 

Mike Daniels sack for loss of 6 yards 

The above clips come from about the midway point in the season. He doesn't seem to be slowed on his second effort attempts vs Minnesota and he seemingly has no problem planting his feet vs the Eagles LT on his sack. I can't find the weekly medical reports from last year but on his player profile on ESPN the only news articles listed after week 8 are snap counts from Demovsky. I find it hard to believe that his ankle injury that occurred in August was that bad to effect his play even in late Nov/early Dec and if it was he had no business being active. My guess? He couldn't maintain the 295 weight he came into camp with after packing on over 10 pounds between the draft and TC (not to mention usually rookie problems like technique and assignments).

At 6 feet 4 inches and 295, Jones looks every bit the part of a model defensive end for the 3-4 defense.

"Definitely carries his pads," coach Mike McCarthy said Sunday after watching Jones practice in full gear for the first time.

"Everybody's different, everybody's built differently. You look at the way they carry their pads and the way they move in pads...I thought Datone looked very good, very comfortable. He's in good shape."

Jones weighed 283 at the combine in late February and 277 on March 12.

Packers first-round pick Datone Jones looks the part 
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
sschind
9 years ago

I could draft the best player in the world. Then a meteorite could fall from the sky and crush him. Does that mean I can't evaluate talent? No. Get real.

Maybe you long for the days of Tom Braatz. I don't.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I never said that. You said you didn't blame Ted Thompson for the injuries and I simply said it doesn't matter who you blame the fact is he was a first round pick who gave us almost nothing and now he is gone and in my book that makes him a bust or at the very least it was a wasted pick. You brought up the ability to evaluate talent and I think the fact that both laser and I pointed out that it wasn't a bad pick at the time would mean we agree with you on TTs ability to evaluate talent. At least in this case.

If you don't want to call him a bust because of injuries I'm fine with that. I don't think players who have great years after missing a year due to injury should be considered for comeback player of the year. However, you can't tell me that a pick that produced almost squat was not a wasted pick.
nerdmann
9 years ago

I never said that. You said you didn't blame Ted Thompson for the injuries and I simply said it doesn't matter who you blame the fact is he was a first round pick who gave us almost nothing and now he is gone and in my book that makes him a bust or at the very least it was a wasted pick. You brought up the ability to evaluate talent and I think the fact that both laser and I pointed out that it wasn't a bad pick at the time would mean we agree with you on TTs ability to evaluate talent. At least in this case.

If you don't want to call him a bust because of injuries I'm fine with that. I don't think players who have great years after missing a year due to injury should be considered for comeback player of the year. However, you can't tell me that a pick that produced almost squat was not a wasted pick.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

These picks were invested. When you make an investment, you don't always win. No investor or trader has a perfect record.

To say something is "wasted," suggests that, instead of picking someone, Ted just threw that slip of paper in the garbage. That is not the case. Ted gets us high percentage picks. Look at how ridiculously he goes after the "safe" players year after year. AJ Hawk. Jordy Nelson. "All steak no sizzle." That's what they say about Ted. Justin Harrell is the exception that proves the rule.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
9 years ago

These picks were invested. When you make an investment, you don't always win. No investor or trader has a perfect record.

To say something is "wasted," suggests that, instead of picking someone, Ted just threw that slip of paper in the garbage. That is not the case. Ted gets us high percentage picks. Look at how ridiculously he goes after the "safe" players year after year. AJ Hawk. Jordy Nelson. "All steak no sizzle." That's what they say about Ted. Justin Harrell is the exception that proves the rule.

It was a pick that didn't help the Packers win. Therefore, it was a wasted opportunity to improve the team, which means it was a wasted pick. Any opportunity to improve the team that doesn't work out is a wasted opportunity, regardless of the reasons why. I'm not blaming Ted Thompson for the pick, but it was still a missed opportunity to improve the team.
Laser Gunns
9 years ago

Nobody is suggesting that he should have a perfect record, just that with this particular pick, it turned out to be a complete waste.

What did we get with the 32nd pick?

Nothing.

Half a healthy game, followed by a lot of unavailability, and a few bad to unremarkable turns in spot duty.

That is the very definition of a bust.

Bust: a failure; a flop.
- American Heritage Dictionary

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
nerdmann
9 years ago

It was a pick that didn't help the Packers win. Therefore, it was a wasted opportunity to improve the team, which means it was a wasted pick. Any opportunity to improve the team that doesn't work out is a wasted opportunity, regardless of the reasons why. I'm not blaming Ted Thompson for the pick, but it was still a missed opportunity to improve the team.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

So you're not attempting to provide analysis of what the problem is, you're just bitching about it?

Zero2Cool
9 years ago

So you're not attempting to provide analysis of what the problem is, you're just bitching about it?

If it is the latter, that is acceptable, we're here for everyone. Even you, when you shit yourself trying to statwhore us.

Derek Sherrod was starting to pick things up prior to his injury. After the injury though he looked like a giant building trying to turn. His being cut is not much of a surprise. Although when looking at the OL it sure doesn't say much for some of the others.

# name position height weight age
72	Gerhart, Garth	C	6-1	310	26
63	Linsley, Corey	C	6-3	301	23
73	Tretter, JC 	C/G	6-4	307	23 
70	Lang, T.J.	G	6-4	318	27	
71	Sitton, Josh	G	6-3	318	28
65	Taylor, Lane	G	6-3	324	24
69	Bakhtiari, David	T	6-4	310	23
75	Bulaga, Bryan	T	6-5	314	25

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago

I'm not bitching about anything. I'm stating a fact. Derek Sherrod was a wasted pick because he didn't improve the Green Bay Packers and didn't help them win. That's not bitching. Now that he has been cut, it's simply true. I was a big fan of the guy. I thought he had the potential to be very good. But it didn't work out, so it was a wasted pick. That is my analysis of the situation. Personally, I think he could have developed into a good player had he not gotten injured, but he did. The Packers could really use a solid contributor from that draft pick, just like many other picks.
sschind
9 years ago

Call it what you like nerd. Whatever floats your boat.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.