QCHuskerFan
9 years ago
I was against this move. I am happy to say that Game 1 results are good. But as was mentioned above, this was not a good measuring stick for performance. I hope I am wrong long term, but not willing to declare that yet based one one game against a bad opponent.

I may have been the one to impune Clay's smarts. If so, I didn't mean his intelligence. More his mindset regarding playing within the system and staying disciplined. He tends to freelance and makes big plays as a result. But it also means losing contain when he shoots outside or inside. The defense is designed for that when he is in his passrush mode. But it can't be tolerated in the middle. Run D is about gap control.

Before we celebrate this as a success, let's see how it does against a quality opponent that has had a week to plan for it.

But Game 1 worked!
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

The defense is designed for that when he is in his passrush mode. But it can't be tolerated in the middle. Run D is about gap control.

Before we celebrate this as a success, let's see how it does against a quality opponent that has had a week to plan for it.

But Game 1 worked!

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

His aggressiveness in the rush game can be used as a positive when combined with Hawks caution to back him up.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Pack93z
9 years ago
I care less where he lines up.. but if Matthews puts in that type of intensity game in and out.. he is going to look like his pre-hype days coming into the league. He just looked like he had an extra gear last night.

His game is based on speed and beating guys with it, and he hasn't developed much past that. But when the guy is flying around like that last night, he is going to be successful.

Is it just me or do you hold your breath as well when you see Matthews chasing someone down from behind, will the hamstring go "pop"?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dyeah_gb
9 years ago
I like the move. I would get so frustrated when CMIII overcommits on the rush and breaks containment. Putting him at ILB will require him to be more thoughtful about his position on the field. For example, there were a few plays where he is rushing up the middle but then stopping in his tracks to try to adjust to pass coverage. It seems he is using alot of energy on these plays that would be better spent anticipating the play earlier in the process. Having him continue to develop the smarts and awareness to adjust to the offense will be a positive. I assume he rushes outside just to make a b-line for the QB and he has backup to keep the play contained.

Finally, can't wait to see to see a replay of CMIII on stopping the reverse :)

Edit: Lets see if this works:

UserPostedImage
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

I like the move. I would get so frustrated when CMIII overcommits on the rush and breaks containment. Putting him at ILB will require him to be more thoughtful about his position on the field. For example, there were a few plays where he is rushing up the middle but then stopping in his tracks to try to adjust to pass coverage. It seems he is using alot of energy on these plays that would be better spent anticipating the play earlier in the process. Having him continue to develop the smarts and awareness to adjust to the offense will be a positive. I assume he rushes outside just to make a b-line for the QB and he has backup to keep the play contained.

Finaly, can't wait to see to see a replay of CMIII on stopping the reverse :)

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

UserPostedImage

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
This move could not have been made without Perry's improvement at OLB. It was the right move to make for this game. Let's see how it is used against other opponents. And perhaps there are even more tricks they have up their sleeves as the season goes on and certain players emerge.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

All of the plays, where I saw him rushing and stopping were for a reason. He noticed the RB wasn't blocking meaning he was heading out in the pattern. Which shows he has good awareness of those around him, not just putting blinders on going after the QB.

Would be nice to know what his assignment on those plays was. Was the RB his responsibility, and was he doing what he was supposed to be doing on those plays.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago
Let's not forget who was responsible for this. Capers and MM. Those same coaches that were blasted 2 weeks ago for the inept defense.

I don't think they are as bad as it seemed after NO game. Neither are they as good as they seem after beating the bears.
9 years ago
Love what I saw but I'm gonna have to see this experiment against an NFL team
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
9 years ago

It was quite evident that Clay Matthews III isn't strong enough. He was manhandled by the Guards when they got their hands on him. As for being smart enough, I don't remember anyone saying that. As long as he can squeeze by the Guards without them touching him, he's going to continue being a menace. I like him in coverage more than any other LB the Packers have tried on the inside.

And my goodness does A.J. Hawk look thin as heck. I think Tim Masthay has more bulk than he does.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

There are very few 250lbs LBs who can handle 310lbs guards, so I don't really fault him for that. You'd like for the NT an DEs to keep those guys busy. Something our small and versatile DEs and average NT aren't always capable off.

His aggressiveness in the rush game can be used as a positive when combined with Hawks caution to back him up.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I agree. When you get Matthews to sit back and react, I fear he'll turn into another AJ Hawk, rather than a real addition to the ILB group. I feel like this kind of aggressive counterweight and sideline to sideline play is what they had in mind in the off-season when they were hoping to draft Shazier.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.