earthquake
9 years ago
Yeah I really don't see the point in continually brining up the fact that the Packers are a worse team without Rodgers. I mean every team in the league with even an average quarterback is a worse team if their starting QB goes down. I don't think there is a single person on this forum who disagrees with that sentiment. So presenting it as some sort of contrarian view makes no sense whatsoever.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Okay, the Packers are better than I thought they were entering the season.

Are they a contender? I can't argue with the evidence to this point, but I still have the feeling that they aren't yet a championship-contender team. No evidence for that feeling, save perhaps memory of the 2011 team, but until I see them playing well enough to win the NFC championship game, I expect I'm going to keep it.

The New England game shows they have what it takes to beat a top team. But that's true of at least 16 teams in any given year on any given Sunday. Persuasion, for me, awaits what happens come January.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Yeah I really don't see the point in continually brining up the fact that the Packers are a worse team without Rodgers. I mean every team in the league with even an average quarterback is a worse team if their starting QB goes down. I don't think there is a single person on this forum who disagrees with that sentiment. So presenting it as some sort of contrarian view makes no sense whatsoever.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

WHAT??? Say it aint so.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
9 years ago

Are they a contender? I can't argue with the evidence to this point, but I still have the feeling that they aren't yet a championship-contender team.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Is there a team in the NFL right now that truly looks the part as a dominate contender? I haven't seen one.. weird year in a sense. Even the Patriots got rocked by the Chiefs.. and KC turns around in the same season and loses to the Raiders.

Haven't seen a team that hasn't shown a soft underbelly at times this season.

Parity or mediocrity? Or a rule book that doesn't allow any defense and makes the any given Sunday theme more relevance?

Sorry to say.. this era of football.. the brand with a offensive slant to every rule.. is their ever going to be a true complete contender again without allowing defenses to play ball?

Turnovers are the only version of defense that is allowed consistently.. after that.. you have to look for a flag on every down.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DoddPower
9 years ago

Is there a team in the NFL right now that truly looks the part as a dominate contender? I haven't seen one.. weird year in a sense. Even the Patriots got rocked by the Chiefs.. and KC turns around in the same season and loses to the Raiders.

Haven't seen a team that hasn't shown a soft underbelly at times this season.

Parity or mediocrity? Or a rule book that doesn't allow any defense and makes the any given Sunday theme more relevance?

Sorry to say.. this era of football.. the brand with a offensive slant to every rule.. is their ever going to be a true complete contender again without allowing defenses to play ball?

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I think there will be truly "dominant" teams occasionally, but they will be much more of the exception rather than any kind of norm. It's always possible for the stars to align and to catch lighting in a bottle for a year or two until all the players want big money or a few key players get injured. The impressive accomplishment these days are teams that are perennial contenders, such as the Patriots, and possibly the Packers if they continue to trend upwards. The Broncos, Seahawks, and 49'ers could be thrown in that discussion too.
Pack93z
9 years ago

I think there will be truly "dominant" teams occasionally, but they will be much more of the exception rather than any kind of norm. It's always possible for the stars to align and to catch lighting in a bottle for a year or two until all the players want big money or a few key players get injured. The impressive accomplishment these days are teams that are perennial contenders, such as the Patriots, and possibly the Packers if they continue to trend upwards. The Broncos, Seahawks, and 49'ers could be thrown in that discussion too.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Agreed.. I think in today's game.. one has to praise the yearly competitiveness of franchises that seem to give themselves a chance nearly every season. But even then the common thread is whom is at QB for the franchises and can they pass the football consistently.

The truly dominate teams in the history of the game in any given season where built on defense... in today's game, apparently those in control think it taboo. Is there really a defense out there that can contain an offense... one with a skilled QB and a pulse at offensive line and WR?

Hell.. I think keeping Tom Brady to 21 points is nearly an impossible feat in today's game. And we are anything but an elite defense in any sense of the word.

Even when a team finds a way within the rule book to control an offense, ala the SeaChickens... the NFL and some committee with change the rules to neuter the defense further.

So yes... I agree.. we may occasionally see a team that finds an edge and becomes dominate.. that is until the rule book is adjusted anyway. ;)

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
sschind
9 years ago

You do realize the things Bruschi is praising happened in the 1st half and not the 2nd, right? That is my issue...what happened in the 2nd on O. This backs that up and then some...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/152192/inside-slant-nfl-week-13-qb-report 

Rodgers focused his efforts downfield during the first half of Sunday's matchup before pulling back after halftime. His average throw distance in the first half was 12.2 yards past the line of scrimmage. He threw nine passes that traveled at least 15 yards downfield, completing five for 171 yards and a touchdown. Downfield passes are lower-percentage throws, of course, and Rodgers overthrew four of his first eight attempts based on ESPN video analysis. In the second half, Rodgers didn't throw a single pass that traveled more than 10 yards downfield and his average throw traveled 5.3 yards. Not surprisingly, he was off target -- based on ESPN video analysis -- on only two of his final 30 throws. The Packers' pass protection also was exceptional, as Rodgers was pressured (sacked or put under duress) on only six of his 43 dropbacks (14 percent). For the season, Rodgers' pressure rate is 23 percent. (On those six pressured dropbacks, Rodgers was sacked three times and threw three incompletions.) The pass protection allowed Rodgers to set season highs in the average time he spent in the pocket (2.82 seconds) and time spent before throwing (3.11 seconds). His season averages had been 2.34 seconds and 2.57 seconds, respectively.

FINAL ANALYSIS
Considered through this lens, Rodgers aggressively helped the Packers build their lead in the first half and then protected it with higher-percentage throws in the second. The Patriots' decision to sit back in coverage -- they blitzed just 14 percent of the time -- helps explain the time he spent in the pocket and the strategy of throwing short. In the end, it gave the Packers a victory over one of the NFL's hottest teams.

I loved the 1st half minus all the FG's. The 2nd half was dreadful...all that creativity and "bag of tricks" GONE when the 2nd half kicked. I don't have any pre conceived notion but I feel you do. To not admit we were BRUTAL on O in the 2nd half is inaccurate at best. Night and day halves. 2nd half failings almost cost us and likely should've. We got away with one.

BTW...I'm not a huge Aaron Rodgers fanatic. I do think he's a sure HOF'er and the best to ever throw it. I'm not a sycophant for him, though. He has failings he shouldn't for as good as he is.

I'm a RC18 fan love that guy... like Jordy... Lacy is good... Clay and Daniels are good players. Shields and Hayward are good. See some talent in a guy like Janis, Jayrone, Ha Ha. You win as a team but we all know the reason we're competitive is Aaron Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I guess this is precisely why I am not particularly concerned about it. They changed their MO and the game changed. Had they kept doing the same thing in the second half that they did in the first and the game would have turned out the same way I would have been concerned. The Patriots adjusted and Mike McCarthy did not. The way it turned out Mike McCarthy adjusted and he didn't need to. I guess that is a little cause for concern but I think he may realize his mistake. I don't know why he changed what he was doing and sure it would have been nice if he would have kept doing what was working in the first half.

Maybe he over thought the whole thing. Maybe he figured Belichick would adjust so he need to as well and he over corrected or he made the wrong adjustments to Belichick's adjustments. Kind of like a soccer goalie on a penalty kick. The kick is going one way or the other and you try to guess which way it is. Sometimes you guess right sometimes you guess wrong. Belichick is no idiot. He is going to make adjustments so that begs the question if you are doing things right in the first half do you make your own adjustments knowing that the opposing coach is going to or do you just keep doing the same thing. One strategy is to keep going until they stop you and another is to try to anticipate the changes the other coach is going to make. I prefer the keep going until they stop you way but the other way has its benefits as well.

steveishere
9 years ago
The 2nd half of the Patriots game would have looked a lot better had Crosby made a makeable FG and Adams caught an easy TD. They only had 3 real possessions in the 2nd half. 1 ended in a missed 40 yard FG, 1 a punt after they still drove to around mid field. Then the dropped TD where they ended with a FG. The only other possession was a good drive to run out the last 3 minutes. It wasn't as prolific as the first half was but it was hardly dreadful. They ate up over half of the 4th quarter with 2 possessions and won the game.
DoddPower
9 years ago

The 2nd half of the Patriots game would have looked a lot better had Crosby made a makeable FG and Adams caught an easy TD. They only had 3 real possessions in the 2nd half. 1 ended in a missed 40 yard FG, 1 a punt after they still drove to around mid field. Then the dropped TD where they ended with a FG. The only other possession was a good drive to run out the last 3 minutes. It wasn't as prolific as the first half was but it was hardly dreadful. They ate up over half of the 4th quarter with 2 possessions and won the game.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

And as well as the Patriots defense might have played in the second half, the Packers defense was pretty good the entire game. This game wasn't even close, imo, despite what the scoreboard said. The Packers beat up the Patriots.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
We win both remaining games we're a 2 seed.

We lose to Detroit we're a 6.

In the Seattle being a 1 seed scenario...they are going to get the winner of the NFCS game and Arizona or Detroit most likely. So, Seattle is almost an automatic to host NFC Championship game as long as they beat Cards next Sunday night.

Packers would get winner of Dallas and Detroit/Arizona game. We really screwed the pooch. Not only would we have to go to Seattle in the NFC Championship, we made it so the only team that could take Seattle out before having to play us (Dallas) go on a path where they wouldn't see Seattle until NFC Championship.

What a colossal loss by this franchise...the kind where you look back over Rodgers career and wonder why there was only one ring in his tenure. This loss pretty much ended our opportunity for this year. We ain't beating Seattle at Seattle...no way no how and that makes us a pretender.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."