PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Not if you told them they were referring to AJ Hawk who I believe has caused 1 or 2 fumbles in his last 6 years as a LB...has few INT's, Sacks, and has NEVER scored a defensive TD. Peppers has TWO this year and he's not even played one full season and is 34 years old playing a position he's never played in his career. Yes, ILB's aren't judged by their TD's but to have...ZERO...in 9 years and so few forced fumbles? Almost zero impact.

You do realize an ILB or MLB SHOULD lead your team in tackles? Nick Barnett is way up there on the list for all time tackles, in fact...he's 3rd all time. The guy was average but a little better than AJ. If you honestly believe AJ was a great player, you have to believe that about Nick Barnett, too. Do you?

I respect Hawk for his availability. His tackling numbers are nothing but longevity based...not a great player...nowhere near one, actually.

http://www.packers.com/history/record-book/packers-individual-records.html#defense 

EDIT: Prior to this season, if we were to compare Hawk's all time tackling numbers to Barnett's AJ would lead 1025 to 1014 (source: packers.com) The funny thing is that Hawk took 126 games to have an 11 tackle lead over Nick Barnett who played 103 games. So, Hawk took 23 more games to have 11 more tackles than Nick Barnett. Nick Barnett=Not very good. AJ Hawk not as good as Nick Barnett...overall, AJ Hawk just never, ever good enough.

To really end this foolishness on AJ and all his "impressive" tackles... keep in mind that the most tackles Hawk ever had in a season was 155. Nick Barnett had 194 in a season for the record. Hawk was nowhere close to Barnett in holding the single season tackling record. AJ Hawk is right up there with the legendary Randy Scott who had 151 tackles in a single season back in '85. Remember him? Dominant!

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

You realize Hawk and Barnett didn't play the same position.

And yes, ANY GM would take AJ without thinking twice.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
uffda udfa
9 years ago

You realize Hawk and Barnett didn't play the same position.

And yes, ANY GM would take AJ without thinking twice.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Yes.

No. No GM is going to want to get 4th round or higher impact from the 5th overall pick in the draft. Randy Scott wasn't even drafted and had 151 tackles only 4 off AJ's best season ever for tackles which was his rookie season.

The question was is... What did you think of Nick Barnett? You seem to love AJ Hawk. Why? You have a thing for mediocre players who show up to work?
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Yes.

No. No GM is going to want to get 4th round or higher impact from the 5th overall pick in the draft. Randy Scott wasn't even drafted and had 151 tackles only 4 off AJ's best season ever for tackles which was his rookie season.

The question was is... What did you think of Nick Barnett? You seem to love AJ Hawk. Why? You have a thing for mediocre players who show up to work?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I don't love AJ, I just don't hate him and am realistic in my expectations. I clearly remember that draft and listening to the analysts after the pick. I remember them saying, AJ was the safest pick in the draft. There were other players with more potential upside, and also with more risk. AJ was the most ready to play at the time. He was going to be a blue collar player. What they were saying is exactly what he turned out to be. Solid, dependable for 9 years.

Barnett, I never had major problems with, other than his celebrating. Barnett was also our MLB play maker. AJ wasn't brought in to replace him and be a Urlacher either. What people cannot get past is their own idea of what a 5th pick is supposed to be.

GMs want their first round picks, to come in and be able to play day 1, want them to be available for as many games as they can, for a long as they can. And even to this day, with all the LBers that have come through, all the 4th round talent that has been brought in. They haven't been able to beat him out for the position. So unless they plan on keeping Clay at ILB, plan on seeing AJ at MLB again next year.
DakotaT
9 years ago
I'm not sure being a mediocre player on a bad defense is good value for the 5th overall pick. But that was a really bad draft overall. I really would like to see us land a top notch inside linebacker to see if our defense could be elevated to another level.

Watching Uffda and Buckeye go at it is entertaining.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

I don't love AJ, I just don't hate him and am realistic in my expectations. I clearly remember that draft and listening to the analysts after the pick. I remember them saying, AJ was the safest pick in the draft. There were other players with more potential upside, and also with more risk. AJ was the most ready to play at the time. He was going to be a blue collar player. What they were saying is exactly what he turned out to be. Solid, dependable for 9 years.

Barnett, I never had major problems with, other than his celebrating. Barnett was also our MLB play maker. AJ wasn't brought in to replace him and be a Urlacher either. What people cannot get past is their own idea of what a 5th pick is supposed to be.

GMs want their first round picks, to come in and be able to play day 1, want them to be available for as many games as they can, for a long as they can. And even to this day, with all the LBers that have come through, all the 4th round talent that has been brought in. They haven't been able to beat him out for the position. So unless they plan on keeping Clay at ILB, plan on seeing AJ at MLB again next year.

It was a weak draft. I don't remember but I think NFL Inc were going to change the rules so a bunch of players came out the year earlier and made it a down year.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

I'm not sure being a mediocre player on a bad defense is good value for the 5th overall pick. But that was a really bad draft overall. I really would like to see us land a top notch inside linebacker to see if our defense could be elevated to another level.

Watching Uffda and Buckeye go at it is entertaining.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

As annoying as you can be at times, I understand where you are coming from.

You want what I want, a Packers team that is successful.

Our views on players are not going to change, but when it comes to discussing Packer Football, most of the time we both make our points and move on.

Uffda on the other hand can't wait for something bad to happen so he can post his 100's of same ole same same ole, pretty much spamming this forum.

Hell I'll take the bullet and keep a running dialogue about nothing with him so he stays away from the other threads where members are actually trying to discuss Packer Football.

The Bonus, I don't have to go anywhere but here to get my daily laughs again since he came back.

I realized 2 years ago Hawks days were numbered in Green Bay, was hoping he could stay at the same level he has played at his first 8 years, the rest of this season.

He is either injured in some way and won't let anyone know or Father time caught up to him a year earlier then expected by him or Ted.

Up until 3 weeks ago Hawk had played 94% of the snaps on defense, I am glad Barrington has showed he can step in, because if like in the past, there was no one ready to play, AJ would have been forced to keep going, doing his best.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DakotaT
9 years ago

As annoying as you can be at times, I understand where you are coming from.

You want what I want, a Packers team that is successful.

Our views on players are not going to change, but when it comes to discussing Packer Football, most of the time we both make our points and move on.

Uffda on the other hand can't wait for something bad to happen so he can post his 100's of same ole same same ole, pretty much spamming this forum.

Hell I'll take the bullet and keep a running dialogue about nothing with him so he stays away from the other threads where members are actually trying to discuss Packer Football.

The Bonus, I don't have to go anywhere but here to get my daily laughs again since he came back.

I realized 2 years ago Hawks days were numbered in Green Bay, was hoping he could stay at the same level he has played at his first 8 years, the rest of this season.

He is either injured in some way and won't let anyone know or Father time caught up to him a year earlier then expected by him or Ted.

Up until 3 weeks ago Hawk had played 94% of the snaps on defense, I am glad Barrington has showed he can step in, because if like in the past, there was no one ready to play, AJ would have been forced to keep going, doing his best.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Annoying, me, you must be confused. 😂

I don't root against a guy that wears a Packers jersey, but I try to be realistic with what I watch on the field. I've watched AJ get torched, embarrassingly in the passing game, and I don't think he has ever brought the kind of pop in his tackling necessary to play the middle of a NFL defense. It isn't his fault our GM has ignored this problem. Hope he enjoys the money he's earned, but it is time for us to move on.

As for Uffda, really could care less. I like guys that think outside the box and bring different perspectives to the discussion. He seems to like to argue, kind of like you and me. [grin1]

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Barrington is still questionable. What happened to him the 2nd half against Atl?

I remember one running play, where he knifed through in front of the play. It was exciting watching because he slipped through very fast. Doing so managed to turn the back inside but it wasn't what he should have done on the play. What he should have done, is take on the lead blocker to not only turn the play inside, but also make it easier for the rest of the defense pursuing to come make the tackle. Than on the next play, he got torched in pass defense. Didn't see much of him after that it was almost all Jones.

That is one thing AJ excelled at, and a reason why he is still here, while Barnett, Biship, Smith and others were let go. They all were more explosive on film, but they didn't do the small things to help others around them as much as AJ has done.

buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Barrington is still questionable. What happened to him the 2nd half against Atl?

I remember one running play, where he knifed through in front of the play. It was exciting watching because he slipped through very fast. Doing so managed to turn the back inside but it wasn't what he should have done on the play. What he should have done, is take on the lead blocker to not only turn the play inside, but also make it easier for the rest of the defense pursuing to come make the tackle. Than on the next play, he got torched in pass defense. Didn't see much of him after that it was almost all Jones.

That is one thing AJ excelled at, and a reason why he is still here, while Barnett, Biship, Smith and others were let go. They all were more explosive on film, but they didn't do the small things to help others around them as much as AJ has done.

Like i said, he is either injured and refuses to let anyone know, or he has hit that veteran wall.

It happens to EVERY NFL Player.

Barrington is going to make mistakes, basically since he was on IR most of last year, he is still going through Rookie growing pains.

Time off could have been what AJ Hawk needed, he was on a pace to go well over 1000 plays again this year.

Barrington has played well enough, added a little more pop to the ILB position.

Hopefully Hawk did just need some time off, would be nice to know a Healthy refreshed Hawk will be available if needed.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Anyone who thinks AJ is back next year is out of their minds. He's gone. It's already been written about...both he and Tramon...GONE. That is a good thing.

Don't hate AJ Hawk...hate his middling to underperforming play.

Night and Day when Clay went to play the position... did you not notice the difference? We went from sub par to excellent playmaking all from a guy who hadn't played the position vs. a guy who had for 9 miserable years.

Now, we have a unathletic late rounder replacing him and he's standing out also because the guy we had there before was junk.

You realize when someone has been brainwashed there is a ton of deprogramming required. Greg Jennings was right about brainwashing in Green Bay...it spilled over to the fans when it came to AJ Hawk for sure. Open your eyes... really...open them.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."