wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

GREEN BAY — Having added yet another position to his job description — dime linebacker — last week, Clay Matthews is ready to go all in.

Cornerback? Safety? Nose tackle? How about playing on offense?

"Yeah, I need to start catching some touchdown passes," the Green Bay Packers do-everything linebacker said Friday. "Padding those stats."

The fact that Matthews can joke about his situation a month after being pressed into service at inside linebacker to help a struggling defense says something about his comfort level. After taking some unexpected criticism for merely admitting that he was apprehensive about his move inside — having played exclusively outside linebacker during his first five NFL seasons, four of which ended in Pro Bowl selections — he's gotten more comfortable with his diverse role and has seen the move pay off.

Not only has the defense improved since his post-bye move inside against Chicago on Nov. 9 , but the Packers have won four straight. After having him split time inside and outside in the first three games — he generally would line up at inside linebacker in the base and nickel defenses and outside in the dime — the Packers used Matthews differently against New England last Sunday, playing him inside all game long. When they went to their dime defense, Matthews stayed in the middle and Julius Peppers and Mike Neal handled most of the edge rushing.

That was in part because defensive coordinator Dom Capers wanted to use Matthews in coverage at times on tight end Rob Gronkowski. It would seem logical for Matthews to move back outside and rush off the edge against the Atlanta Falcons on Monday night at Lambeau Field, but there's no telling for sure.

One thing Capers can promise is that he's been keeping track of exactly how he uses Matthews on every play, dating back to using him off the line of scrimmage extensively when the Packers experimented with a 4-3 defense earlier in the year, including in Week 2 against the New York Jets.

"We played a lot of 4-3 in the Jets game, and I heard the comment afterward, 'What in the world are they doing with Clay dropping so much?'" Capers said Friday. "But that really helped us in that second half win the game.

"Believe me, there's an awareness on my part in terms of the number of times he's rushing and dropping. The bottom line is, what gives us the best chance of getting them stopped? He's done a nice job with the run. You just obviously have to be conscious of how much you're asking him to go backwards and how much you're asking him to go forwards."

Matthews, who enters Monday night's game with 52 tackles, 4.5 sacks, an interception, two forced fumbles and six passes broken up, admitted his biggest concern before the game against the Bears was his readiness at a position he'd never played. The coaches basically gave him a crash course in inside linebacker out of desperation to fix the league's worst run defense.

"I'm having fun with it. It adds to the versatility. [But] I will say it does require a lot more study in the classroom and mistakes made on the field during practice. I had a few today," Matthews said. "But at the same time, I'm always learning, and I think that's especially important. And I hope that all this moving around and learning new positions really helps my overall football acumen at the end of the day. It really has as far as knowing where people fit, why they're fitting there and the help in which I have on the field. So hopefully it makes me a better player."

Although he didn't say so on Friday, you can bet that Matthews still would rather jet upfield as a pass rusher on every down. And just as he privately voiced his uneasiness to his brother Casey before facing Casey's Philadelphia Eagles on Nov. 16, there's still some measure of that as he continues to acclimate himself to his varied roles.

But Matthews said he is getting more and more comfortable, and that has helped his attitude, too.

"I'm definitely more confident with what I'm capable of doing out there," he said. "Not only that, but knowing the position, as well. I think we talked about this, you have to understand we're very much creatures of habit and like to be in a rhythm. When you shake that up, there's uncertainty.

"That being said, I know what's being asked of me now, I know what I'm capable of and I know what I'm going to see out there week-in and week-out. So I'm definitely more comfortable in that regard, and I like the end result, too.

"But as I continue to say, we'll see what that means moving forward. We've had times where I'm not on the field (in the dime defense at Minnesota on Nov. 23), times where I'm in there with Sam [Barrington], A.J. [Hawk]. I could be the lone linebacker, as well as rushing the passer. Ultimately, I don't know where this thing is going, but as long as we're making plays and winning games, there's not much room to complain."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

Zero loves Wilde stories so let's put this one on here too.

Moving Clay around has helped him and the defense as a whole. Even with the expected mistakes it has been a good move on Dom's part. It is not criticism when we mention Clay has made some coverage mistakes. Even he says he has.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (23m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.