warhawk
9 years ago
I don't read this article asking if Ted Thompson has already built a dynasty but rather does he now have a team that can be one. The author elaborates on the combination of youth and veteran players and how Thompson goes about maintaining the roster with consistency. I read this article asking "is the team in position to be a dynasty?" The team is considered to be the best or one of the best in the NFL and how he controls the cap and retains players makes this an interesting question.
On the other hand when you look at questions other quality teams like Denver and NE have in how long will their QB's hold up or how will Seattle handle the roster when Wilson gets a boat load of money the challenges ahead of GB don't seem that great.
The only real answer I see is time will tell. It would appear that Thompson has the team in position to be very good for the next several years but the challenge out there to actually build a dynasty is very daunting to say the least. I will say this I don't see another team with a better to chance to approach a dynasty. There is a lot of solid veteran players that Ted should have no problem hanging on to and a lot of young guys who are only going to get better and contribute more over the next many years.

At least the discussion can continue if they win it all right now because I see no reason not to believe the team they put out in 2015 won't be better than this one.

"The train is leaving the station."
sschind
9 years ago

Couple corrections:

• New England only has one title (2004 season) in the above time frame; since Ted Thompson took over in Green Bay, New England has not won a title
  • Indy only has the one title (2006 season)
  • New Orleans has also appeared in the same number of NFC Championship games (2: 2006 and 2009 seasons) as Green Bay
  • Philly has the same number of appearances in the NFC Championship game (2: 2004 and 2008 seasons), not more; and if you consider just the Ted Thompson era, Philly only has the one appearance (same with Atlanta for that matter)

The premise still holds true, though: we are not a dynasty.

It really annoys me when people throw words like dynasty around, they lose their meaning. My generation is doing the same with the words 'literally' and 'epic' right now and it's simply maddening. I'm sorry, but that burrito you ate last night was not epic; and your one title team is not a dynasty.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

You are wrong my friend. That burrito I ate last night was literally the most epic burrito I have ever eaten. It was truly sick. No wait, that was me afterwords.

gbguy20
9 years ago

Dynasty is defined by yours truly as winning 3 of 5 NFL Championships during a five year period.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

agreed 100%.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
This, of course, is all a matter of opinion - the defining of "dynasty". My opinion is it is NOT completely about winning Super Bowls or conference championships. It's about consistently having a high winning percentage over an extended period of time. The Packers have had that for a decade and a half or so. The Patriots would be the other best example of an active dynasty.

However, the topic was Ted Thompson, and has HE constructed a dynasty? I would suggest emphatically NO. I would further suggest his strategy for building a team is seriously flawed. The reason for the current dynastic conditions in Green Bay begin and end with AARON RODGERS. Ted was either colossally GOOD or colossally LUCKY - take your pick - in drafting the world's greatest QB. Without Rodgers, this draft and develop strategy has constructed a pretty mediocre team - an O Line that just this season has improved to where I would even call it borderline decent instead of downright bad; a defense which has been marginally decent at times, especially when Rodgers gets us big leads and we get some turnovers, and then other times it looks like it did Monday night; very good pass receivers, but how good would they be without Rodgers? Not As - that much is for sure; An outstanding bull of a down hill runner who at times looks like a player in one of those old electric football games in the Jimmy Johnson commercial - just bumping into the backside of his O line as it fails to open a hole instead of bouncing outside like Demarco Murray or Michael Gordon. I don't say we should go hog wild for other teams' free agents, but just a little big more than we do would be nice. And while Ted's drafting has been decent and affected by some bad luck with injuries, by no stretch has it been anywhere near great enough to produce a dynasty - with the exception, of course, of a certain QB expected to be the first or second player drafted who fell to us at what was it? #21?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

This, of course, is all a matter of opinion - the defining of "dynasty". My opinion is it is NOT completely about winning Super Bowls or conference championships. It's about consistently having a high winning percentage over an extended period of time. The Packers have had that for a decade and a half or so. The Patriots would be the other best example of an active dynasty.

However, the topic was Ted Thompson, and has HE constructed a dynasty? I would suggest emphatically NO. I would further suggest his strategy for building a team is seriously flawed. The reason for the current dynastic conditions in Green Bay begin and end with AARON RODGERS. Ted was either colossally GOOD or colossally LUCKY - take your pick - in drafting the world's greatest QB. Without Rodgers, this draft and develop strategy has constructed a pretty mediocre team - an O Line that just this season has improved to where I would even call it borderline decent instead of downright bad; a defense which has been marginally decent at times, especially when Rodgers gets us big leads and we get some turnovers, and then other times it looks like it did Monday night; very good pass receivers, but how good would they be without Rodgers? Not As - that much is for sure; An outstanding bull of a down hill runner who at times looks like a player in one of those old electric football games in the Jimmy Johnson commercial - just bumping into the backside of his O line as it fails to open a hole instead of bouncing outside like Demarco Murray or Michael Gordon. I don't say we should go hog wild for other teams' free agents, but just a little big more than we do would be nice. And while Ted's drafting has been decent and affected by some bad luck with injuries, by no stretch has it been anywhere near great enough to produce a dynasty - with the exception, of course, of a certain QB expected to be the first or second player drafted who fell to us at what was it? #21?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I think I basically said the same thing in post #2. Only not as long winded.

Basically every team that is in discussion for having ever been a dynasty was so because they had a QB. Perhaps The steelers with bradshaw could be more because of defense.

I would say, Wolf built a dynasty because he actually went out and traded for Favre. Everybody since has been maintaining the Packer Dynasty.

Teds way, is an excellent way to keep a dynasty going.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DakotaT
9 years ago

You are wrong my friend. That burrito I ate last night was literally the most epic burrito I have ever eaten. It was truly sick. No wait, that was me afterwords.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

If only Buckeye your wit!
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago
We don't have a dynasty. We've just had 20+ years of winning football with a couple of Lombardis sprinkled in. And I'll keep taking what we have every year for as long as it lasts. I remember the 70's and 80's quite well.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: sschind 

My daughter and future son in law were going to have dinner with my wife, my mother and I. (My daughter was introducing him to his new grandma.) He decided to get one of those Taco Bell big burrito numbers for lunch. He was so sick he hardly ate anything for dinner which embarrassed him all the more.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago
One could make the case that we are in fact a "dynasty," because we have gone from one star QB to the next and won SBs. We've also gone from Wolf to Ted, with continued excellence, no down time in between.

That is if we want to define "dynasty" in terms of handing down from one ruler or leader to the next in succession.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
macbob
9 years ago

I went through all NFL Championships quickly and here is my list of dynasties.

The year is probably off because I listed the year of the championship game, not the season.

Chicago Bears 1940 + 1941 + 1943 = Dynasty
Cleveland Browns 1950 + 1954 + 1955 = Dynasty
Green Bay Packers 1966 + 1967 + 1968 = Dynasty
Pittsburgh Steelers 1975 + 1976 + 1979 + 1980 = Dynasty
San Francisco 1985 + 1989 + 1990 = Dynasty
Dallas Cowboys 1992 + 1993 + 1995 = Dynasty
New England Patriots 2002 + 2004 + 2005 = Dynasty

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

In addition to 29-31 (note: we were runner-up in 27 & 32), I would also add in 62 + 63 (using your championship game method) to the 60s team, as we won 5 championships in 7 years.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.