Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Green Bay - Ted Thompson's instincts told him just to say "no" on Tuesday with the National Football League trading deadline minutes away and the Kansas City Chiefs demanding a second-round draft choice for 32-year-old tight end Tony Gonzalez.

If 25 years of NFL history mean much, the general manager of the Green Bay Packers made the right call by holding the line on his offer of a third-round choice.

Since 1984, a total of 21 veteran players have been traded in transactions involving a third-round draft choice or higher at or within a few days of the trading deadline in mid- to early October.

In analyzing each trade, a common standard was established for the value of a third-, second- and first-round pick. What the teams receiving the selections actually did with them wasn't considered.

By subjective judgment, the teams getting the player were given the edge in four of the trades and the teams getting the pick or picks were given the edge in 17 of the trades.

If there was a bias in these judgments, it probably was toward the picks. The common denominators for teams acquiring a player was the hope that hed be the final piece in a Super Bowl puzzle or would plug a need created by injury.

Only two of those 21 players ever played in a Super Bowl for their new team. And only one ever made the Pro Bowl for his new team.

Before we turn the page on the Packers bid for Gonzalez, heres a look back at those 21 trades:

[ul]2008: WR Roy Williams (26 years old) for first-round (D1), third-round (D3) and sixth-round picks (D6), Detroit to Dallas. The Lions still have to make these picks count but at least now they have a chance to get better. This was their best personnel move in a decade. Williams underachieved in Detroit and isnt apt to fare much better in Dallas. Edge: Picks.

2007: WR Chris Chambers (29) for D2, Miami to San Diego. Without Chambers, the Chargers never would have gotten to the AFC title game. Edge: Player.

2006: DT Anthony McFarland (28) for D2, Tampa Bay to Indianapolis. Desperate to cure his ailing run defense, Bill Polian acquired a run-stopper with the quickness to fit Tony Dungys scheme. It took awhile for McFarland to round into shape, but during the Colts Super Bowl run he played pretty well. Then he suffered a season-ending knee injury in 07 training camp and appears done. Edge: Pick.

2004: WR Keenan McCardell (34) for D3 and D6, Tampa Bay to San Diego. The aging but crafty McCardell started for 2 1/2 seasons and did put up big numbers in 05 (70 catches, nine TDs). But in reality, he was just filling a uniform. Edge: Picks.

2004: CB Mike McKenzie (27) for D2, Green Bay to New Orleans. McKenzie couldnt stand Mike Sherman, held out for 46 days before reporting to get paid, then agitated his way out of town. McKenzie hasnt been a great player in New Orleans but he has started almost every game for what had been an awful secondary. Edge: Player.

1992: DT Reuben Davis (27) for D3, Tampa Bay to Phoenix. A massive run-stuffer, Davis was acquired to fit coordinator Fritz Shurmurs defense. Davis started for 1 1/2 seasons on losing teams before leaving as an unrestricted free agent. It would be 12 years before another big October deal would be made. Edge: Pick.

1991: T Harvey Salem (30) for D3, Detroit to Denver. The oft-injured Salem held out of the Lions training camp before Chuck Schmidt and Wayne Fontes made the deal with Dan Reeves. Salem played on some passing downs down the stretch in 91 before he finished with Green Bay in 92. Edge: Pick.

1991: DE-LB Tim Harris (27) for two D2s, Green Bay to San Francisco. Harris held out for 78 days, missing five games. In 92, he finished second in the NFC with 17 sacks, and had two more in the playoffs as the 49ers ended up losing in the title game to Dallas. He left for Philadelphia as unrestricted free agent in 93. Edge: Picks.

1989: RB Herschel Walker (27) for three D1s, three D2s, one D3 and five players, Dallas to Minnesota. Upon making the deal, Vikings GM Mike Lynn said it would be a failure if the Vikings didnt make the Super Bowl within two years. Minnesota was smashed by the 49ers in the 89 divisional playoffs, went 6-10 in 90 and then 8-8 in 91. Walker, who was cut in May 1992, carried 551 times in 42 games for 2,264 yards, a 4.1-yard average and 20 TDs. Jerry Jones and the Cowboys turned Lynns folly into the foundation for three Super Bowls. Edge: Picks.

1989: QB Steve Pelluer (27) for D3 and D4, Dallas to Kansas City. Pelluer was holding out when the trade was consummated. He hurt his knee in his third start in 89, then found himself buried behind Steve DeBerg. Edge: Picks.

1989: RB Darrin Nelson (30) and D6 for D2, D5 and D6, Dallas to San Diego. As part of the Walker trade, Nelson refused to report to Dallas. So Jones shipped him to GM Steve Ortmayer and the Chargers, where he rushed for 211 yards and caught 35 passes in 1 1/2 seasons. Edge: Picks.

1989: LB Chip Banks (30) for D3, San Diego to Indianapolis. A four-time Pro Bowl player for Cleveland, Banks had drug problems and was traded to the Chargers. After one year, Ortmayer dealt him to Indy, where he started for three seasons but didnt play well. Edge: Pick.

1988: G Ron Solt (26) for D1 and D4, Indianapolis to Philadelphia. Solt made the Pro Bowl in 87 but, shortly after being acquired by Buddy Ryan, suffered a major knee injury. He did start from 1989-91 but was a shell of his old self. Edge: Picks.

1987: RB Eric Dickerson (26) for LB Cornelius Bennett, D1 and two D2s, L.A. Rams to Indianapolis. This was an enormous three-way deal involving Buffalo, with the Bills acquiring Bennett, a first-round rookie holdout. Dickerson had been totally disruptive in L.A., forcing John Robinsons hand. Dickerson made the Pro Bowl three times in Indy, finishing with 5,194 yards and 32 TDs in five seasons before being dealt to the Raiders for D4 and D8. Edge: Player.

1987: RB Greg Bell (25) for six high picks, Buffalo to L.A. Rams. The Rams got the worst of the three-way deal. Bell was deserving of the Pro Bowl in 88 (1,212 yards, 16 TDs), and gained 1,137 yards in 89 as well. But when the Rams signed Curt Warner in 90, Bells career was all but over. Edge: Picks.

1987: T Bruce Davis (31) for D2, L.A. Raiders to Houston. Fat and out of shape, Davis did have a strong year at LT in 88. He at least started in 89, his final season. Edge: Pick.

1986: QB Doug Flutie (23) and D4 for D3 and D6, L.A. Rams to Chicago. Flutie started one game in 86 and the playoff debacle against Washington, when his passer rating was 35.5. Edge: Picks.

1986: RB Ottis Anderson (29) for D2 and D7, St. Louis to New York Giants. After two Pro Bowl seasons for the Cardinals, he was an anonymous caddy for Joe Morris for 2 1/2 seasons and his career seemed all but over. Then, after gaining 1,023 yards in 89, he was Super Bowl MVP in 90. Edge: Player.

1985: LB Hugh Green (26) for D1 and D2, Tampa Bay to Miami. A series of knee injuries ruined his seven-year stint in Miami after two Pro Bowl seasons for the Bucs. Edge: Picks.

1984: RB Earl Campbell (29) for D1, Houston to New Orleans. Bum Phillips, who rode Campbell in Houston, reacquired him and then traded George Rogers in August 1985. Campbell, a Pro Bowl pick as late in 83, played 24 games for the Saints (833 yards, one TD) before retiring with battered knees. Edge: Pick.

1984: C John Romano (25) for D3 and D6, L.A. Raiders to Houston. Ladd Herzeg and Mike Holovak got 32 starts from Romano from 1984-86 before knee problems ended his career. Edge: Picks.[/ul]

Arguments can be made for and against the decision made by Thompson, but in the end the litmus test on parting with a second-round pick should be whether Gonzalez could have delivered a Super Bowl within a year or two.

Based on best available information, the answer is probably not.

For what Gonzalez might have meant for coach Mike McCarthys offense, check out Indianapolis tight end Dallas Clark this afternoon at Lambeau Field. Clark is 3 1/2 years younger than Gonzalez and even now isnt as good, but with his speed, route running and hands he is able to line up all over the formation and create matchup problems for just about any defense.

Nevertheless, the Packers arent bad at tight end as it stands now. Donald Lee is reliable, and Jermichael Finley seems to be a more stable individual than he was billed as coming out of Texas two years early. He might be the answer in another year or two, and Thompson would like to give his third-round investment a chance to prosper.

One longtime personnel man defined a second-round pick as an above-average starter with the talent to make the Pro Bowl. In reality, thats wishful thinking. The success rate in the round is much worse.

Go back a decade to the 1998 draft. Six of the 31 picks in the second round did make the Pro Bowl, but the same number also could be categorized as busts.

Or break down the 32 players drafted by Green Bay in the second round since the common draft began in 1967. From the group, only three made the Pro Bowl (Chester Marcol, LeRoy Butler, Darren Sharper) and just five others became above-average starters (Greg Koch, Mark Lee, Johnny Holland, Chad Clifton, Greg Jennings). Nick Collins is rapidly becoming a sixth.

Thompsons painstaking approach to team-building has been called prudent by some, passive by others.

All things considered, give him the slim benefit of the doubt on Gonzalez.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I thought we traded a 2nd rounder for Keith Jackson (29 yrs old) in '94??
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago
yeah thought that too

but is this article about trading a 3rd rounder for a player?

I can't figure it out, if that is the case that would be why Jackson is not mentioned
dingus
15 years ago
This is about doing it right before the trade deadline.
blank
RaiderPride
15 years ago

"dingus" wrote:

Nuff Said:
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

"dingus" wrote:

Ahh, that makes more sense then. I didn't read the whole thing. I just skimmed through it quick and threw my comment out there.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago
I think the Tony G to the Packers deal will be looked into in the off season. I highly doubt that he'll be a Chief next season and the Packers probably will be one of the front runners to land him. I wouldn't say it's over. Let's put it that way.
beast
15 years ago

I think the Tony G to the Packers deal will be looked into in the off season. I highly doubt that he'll be a Chief next season and the Packers probably will be one of the front runners to land him. I wouldn't say it's over. Let's put it that way.

"porky88" wrote:

I agree. I think Tony will ask and/or demand to be traded and the Chiefs GM will look into it again. But I think the problem last time was that the Chiefs GM wanted to trade Tony to the Falcons or Bills because they at least were reported to be offering more than anyone else but Tony said no to those teams. So I think it's one of those things, "Who will break first?"

Will the Chiefs GM break and trade to the highest bidding that Tony is willing to be traded to?

Will Tony break and be willing to be traded to who ever the highest bidder is?

Or will one of the teams GMs Tony wants to be a part of up their big enough to make the Chiefs GM trade Tony?

Or will no body break and this deal doesn't happen?

Normally the GM of the team where the player currently is (the Chiefs GM) doesn't break unless th players start causing problems which Tony seems to be about that, at least with the team and coaches. Tony might start problems with the GM.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.