wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

GREEN BAY — Bristling for the second consecutive day at repeated questions about his team's second-half defensive collapse against the Atlanta Falcons, you almost got the feeling that Mike McCarthy just wanted to scream We won the game! at those in the Lambeau Field media auditorium on Wednesday.

The Green Bay Packers coach held back, but he did acknowledge that there are lessons to be learned from what happened in the team's 43-37 victory, which began with a 31-7 halftime lead.

"I thought we started the game just the you'd like. I think anytime you come off of a big win, you concern yourself with a potential letdown. I thought the preparation really showed up in the beginning of the game," McCarthy said Wednesday, as the team turned its attention to Sunday's game at Buffalo. "We didn't sustain it the second half. We've had a chance to look at it and learn from it. And we'll apply it to the future."

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, speaking on his weekly radio show on 540 ESPN and ESPNWisconsin.com on Tuesday, posited that there were a few factors that conspired to get the Falcons back into the game — starting with Julio Jones' 79-yard catch on the opening play of the third quarter, which set up a quick touchdown.

"We've had some big leads at half — [such as] 31-0, 42-0 — so we've had some leads where they weren't coming back. This was 31-7," Rodgers explained. "It's like in basketball. My old coach used to say, '[There's] one stat you can probably tell how the game went, and that was often the score differential in the first half of the third quarter. Because a lot of times, after you make the adjustments at halftime, the team that starts fast in the third quarter is the one that gets momentum back and actually can carry that throughout the game. And that actually plays out in the NFL as well.

"We've had a number of games where we've doubled up and score at the end of the first half and the beginning of the second half. I remember a specific game in 2010 against Minnesota where we scored at the end of the first half to go up 17-3 and then we scored the first drive of the second half and it's 24-3, the next thing you know it's a three-score game. Against Atlanta in the playoffs, we scored at the end of the first half to go up 21-14, Tramon [Williams] then picks off a pass and goes back for a touchdown and it's 28-14, [and then] we score on the first possession of the third quarter, and it goes from a one-score game or a tie game to a three-score game. That's when you can really break a team's will.

"[On Monday night], they actually came out and they had the big 80-yard play, and the next thing you know, they're down 17, it's three scores, you got 28 minutes on the clock, and they've got to be feeling, 'We're back in this game, we just need a couple of stops.' And that's kind of where the game tightened, and you could feel it tighten a little bit there."

It was clear Wednesday that the most irritating thing about how the defense played in the second half for McCarthy was the poor communication between the players on the field and the coaches on the sideline. McCarthy had to burn two second-half timeouts when the defense couldn't align properly.

"We don't evaluate the game based on the final score, we don't evaluate the game based on what our statistics are. There's always things to learn from," McCarthy said. "[But] at the end of the day, good teams find ways to win and the offense pick up for the defense."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

I guess it is not just spoiled fans around here that were wondering about the defensive effort in the second half. Professional journalists wondered what happened too.

I love the Rodgers insight/quote.

Mike's final comment was a good one. Things happen. Sometimes it will be the defense that earns the win. Sometimes it will be the offense. In either case I don't think it is wrong for people to ask why or what happened.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

I guess it is not just spoiled fans around here that were wondering about the defensive effort in the second half. Professional journalists wondered what happened too.

I love the Rodgers insight/quote.

Mike's final comment was a good one. Things happen. Sometimes it will be the defense that earns the win. Sometimes it will be the offense. In either case I don't think it is wrong for people to ask why or what happened.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Wondering about it and worrying your ass off over it are two very different things.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

Wondering about it and worrying your ass off over it are two very different things.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

True. And fans who talk about are automatically dumped it the later category even if it is not so.

If 10 people discuss it and each makes a post or two others assume they are worried, fixated on it and going crazy because of the 15-20 comments that have been made when it is only a conversation that is looking at the issue.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
9 years ago
This has nothing to do with being spoiled. The Packers gave up 30 points in the second half. Poor play/execution needs to be addressed win or lose. I've never understood the "We won. It doean't matter" attitude.
DakotaT
9 years ago
Does anybody else around here make the correlation between the Packers defense looking good against the teams not having a good quarterback versus our defense looking incompetent against teams with good quarterbacks? But most teams do not have a combination of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, so that's a good thing.

Until this defense can consistently shut down all teams regardless of the quarterback's ability, they have work to do. I don't think the '96 Packers get enough credit for how good they were in all three phases of the game.

UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

Does anybody else around here make the correlation between the Packers defense looking good against the teams not having a good quarterback versus our defense looking incompetent against teams with good quarterbacks? But most teams do not have a combination of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, so that's a good thing.

Until this defense can consistently shut down all teams regardless of the quarterback's ability, they have work to do. I don't think the '96 Packers get enough credit for how good they were in all three phases of the game.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I don't really think any team can do that though. Even Seattles defense had rough games against Rivers, Romo, and Austin freakin Davis. It would be nice if the D would be more consistent but they had looked good ever since NO and especially against NE whose offense has been as good as ours. Atlanta game looked like crap but I will say the 2nd half was also some of the most vanilla D i've seen them play all season. Who knows why they did that or why they stuck with it even when Atlanta started getting closer. The biggest thing that irks me is not that they sometimes look bad it's that when they do look bad they look REALLY REALLY BAD. It's hard to know what they are when they can make crucial stops against Tom Brady and keep Gronkowski from being a factor in 1 game then the next give up a record breaking performance.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

True. And fans who talk about are automatically dumped it the later category even if it is not so.

If 10 people discuss it and each makes a post or two others assume they are worried, fixated on it and going crazy because of the 15-20 comments that have been made when it is only a conversation that is looking at the issue.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I would enjoy discussing the challenges of our defense. But anytime the defense comes up, there is a steady stream of "Capers sucks, Hawk sucks, DL sucks, Jones sucks, Capers sucks, Mike McCarthy sucks, Capers sucks, Ted Thompson sucks, Burnett sucks, ad infinitum".

The first play out of half was a big play and not just because it led to a TD. Williams was beat, Burnett took a terrible angle on the play. Then there was a flash in green and gold. Shields made the rest of the players look like they were 48 yr old white men. He could have quit on the play. But he didn't. He chased down Jones and made the Falcons earn the lst yard for the TD. How many times have we all watched a big play and the D is jogging behind the play? Not Shields and not this D. I was impressed with the effort shown by Shields on a play when the Packers were clearly way out in front.

There is a reason that Hawk and Jones started this year. There is a reason Barrington wasn't. There is a reason Clay was an OLB. Those reasons are not because Capers sucks, Ted Thompson sucks, Mike McCarthy sucks, etc. It's because the men that run practices, that are coaching professionals, etc saw them as the best choice to start the year. Now we are 75% of the way through the season. A lot has changed. But with those positive changes are some negatives. Hawk has always been known as a good communicator and assignment sure. Barrington, with almost no game experience in his first 1.5 yrs is not going to be as good in those areas. Jones and Hawk were benched for a reason and it wasn't due to their excellent level of play. Matthews is playing multiple positions. So is it any wonder that there were issues in the second half when things started downhill and all 4 were playing LB on Defense? I would be interested in the breakdown of playing time comparing the 2 halves on Defense.

It looked to me like there were a lot of deep crossing routes that were wide open? Is that because the LB's were supposed to get a deeper drop? We'll probably never know.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Not to split hairs, but isn't that the definition of good QB's? The ones that make other teams look bad consistently? One could argue that every team has difficulty against the good QB's.

What defense has consistently shut down Aaron Rodgers or Manning or Brady in the last 10 years? Those QB's have all had bad games here and there, but consistently shut down? Now Ryan isn't in that category, but he's pretty decent.
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (18h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (18h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (21h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (22h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.