bboystyle
9 years ago
For those who are saying tony romo, u gotta take In consideration that his schedule this year was very weak. Cowboys opponents total combine w/l record was 104-142. Packers was 123-112. Romo also plays inside where as Rogers outside. I'd still give it to Rodgers. He had only one bad game of u think about it (Seattle). The other bad games were due to injury and or illness. Also Rodgers is far mor valuable to his team them watt or romo. We see how this team is without him.
Gilligan
9 years ago
Is the definition of MVP being "most valuable to the team" or "most valuable to the league"?
I bring this up is because every year there seems to be debate about how a team would or wouldn't do with/without a certain player.

I'm just curious about the MVP in general.
Is it about a player's impact on a team or is it the best/most excellent player in the league?

Another query, how one QB can win the MVP while another QB wins Offensive Player of the Year?
AP 2011 MVP Aaron Rodgers
AP 2011 OPY Drew Brees
If you are the MVP and play on offense, how are you not the Offensive Player of the Year too?

Thoughts / Opinions?
I am chosen by many but taken by no one.
dhazer
9 years ago

Ok, I'll bite.

Ben Roethlisberger had some crazy good games along with quite a few average or worse games, he's not a consistently elite QB. I don't even need to find stats or supporting arguments for this one.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Ok I am just picking out one section to throw off your whole comment lol.

Here is Bens stats for the year with rank

Passing yards

4952 tied for #1

TDS
32 ranked #7

Ints

9 tied for 3rd fewest among qbs that started atleast 14 games

passer rating

103.3 ranked #3

So I guess your right his stats don't give any ground to stand on

[rockon]

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
millertime
9 years ago
It all boils down to positional value.
MVP is most valuable player, not the best at his respective position.
QBs are more VALUABLE than defensive linemen.

If you swap Rodgers and Watt, the Texans likely make the playoffs with a first round bye and the Packers likely miss the playoffs.

They need to re-vise the award the because the MVP will almost always go to QB.

Watt's had had a top 5 all-time season for a defensive linemen (only Reggie White and LT could compare to his dominance and impact on play to play basis).

Rodgers season is maybe a top 30 all-time QB season, stats-wise.

But a top 30 QB season is worth so much more than an all-time great defensive line season.

earthquake
9 years ago

The National Football League Most Valuable Player Award (NFL MVP) is an award given by various entities to the American football player who is considered most valuable to his team in the National Football League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Most_Valuable_Player_Award  if someone has a better source, feel free to post.

blank
earthquake
9 years ago

Ok I am just picking out one section to throw off your whole comment lol.

Here is Bens stats for the year with rank

Passing yards

4952 tied for #1

TDS
32 ranked #7

Ints

9 tied for 3rd fewest among qbs that started atleast 14 games

passer rating

103.3 ranked #3

So I guess your right his stats don't give any ground to stand on

[rockon]

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

I stand by my comment, Benroethlisberger had a few mind-blowingly good statistical games and about 5 below average or worse games. Had Rodgers stayed in those what, 4 games or so games when he was pulled in the second half where he was putting up insane stats and had a few 5-6-7 TD games his stats would look nuts as well.
blank
Gilligan
9 years ago

Quote:
The National Football League Most Valuable Player Award (NFL MVP) is an award given by various entities to the American football player who is considered most valuable to his team in the National Football League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Most_Valuable_Player_Award  if someone has a better source, feel free to post.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Yes, I've seen that one earthquake and appreciate your response.

But wikipedia is not exactly the greatest source.

I am chosen by many but taken by no one.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
The Packers still made the playoffs when Aaron Rodgers missed what was it 8 games? Make excuses for the division all you want, but if playoffs are the factor, then stop being obtuse.

J.J. Watt deserves the award.

The rules dictate QB is head an shoulders above being most valuable to a team. Next position is probably OL or DL and it is a distant second.

To have a defensive lineman even in consideration for the award tells you everything you need to know.

Again, J.J. Watt deserves the award.
UserPostedImage
evad04
9 years ago

J.J. Watt deserves the award.

The rules dictate QB is head an shoulders above being most valuable to a team. Next position is probably OL or DL and it is a distant second.

To have a defensive lineman even in consideration for the award tells you everything you need to know.

Again, J.J. Watt deserves the award.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

A few blanket statements aren't exactly convincing, if you ask me. I had the same conversation with a friend earlier, and actually took the devil's advocate position in defense of Watt for MVP.

He's a nightmare to stop and that includes wherever he lines up -- which is all along the defensive line. He's an athletic freak who is crazy disruptive inside and also bullies offensive tackles and the tight ends who double team him off the edge. He's a playmaker, shown by his several sacks and pair of defensive touchdowns. And he has the big plays on offense to boot.

You can certainly make the case for JJ.

But I don't think it's cut and dry. Aaron has been unbelievable this season, and like Watt, it goes beyond the sheer numbers (which, we can all agree, are fantastic).

As dominant and mesmerizing as Watt is, Rodgers does the same on offense.

He's somehow incredibly efficient with the ball but also a dynamic playmaker who gives the offense a threat to score on every play. He's also second behind only Russel Wilson -- a more dangerous and consistent scrambler, no doubt -- in rushing first downs. That's another nod to his incredible efficiency. There's a reason why he's the career leader in touchdown percentage, too. He was no different in 2014, in a season where his 38 touchdowns could have been even more plentiful without his donating minutes to Matt Flynn in one-sided romps.

Rodgers had a marvelous season. He's the best quarterback in the game, at a time where some other amazing QBs are still playing at a high level. That a Big Ben can have almost 5,000 yards, 32 TDs/9 INTs and not be on the short-short list is telling.

Part of why Watt has earned his way into this debate is because he does things on the field that no one else does, all the while dominating and putting up huge numbers.

How was Rodgers any different this season? Romo was great, but be real -- that team is built around its great offensive line and running game.

If Watt wins, it would be deserved. If Rodgers wins, it would also be deserved.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Cheesey
9 years ago
Dave's points are valid.
Whether Aaron Rodgers or Watt wins it, it would be deserving. Maybe 2 MVPS given out this year?
I believe it's happened before, hasn't it?
If the Packers win the SB, I don't think Aaron Rodgers would mind not winning the MVP award.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (7h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (7h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (8h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.