Zero2Cool
9 years ago
More and more of these stories need the headlines.

Imagine if the sports icon you wanted to meet more than anyone on the planet went above and beyond to meet you?

Brookville, Ind., native, Kristen Patterson left Peyton Manning no choice when she wrote the Denver Broncos quarterback a letter Sept. 21 requesting a chance to meet, but forgot to include her contact information.

That's one way to stand out among the hundreds of letters Manning likely receives.

Patterson was requesting the meeting on behalf of her husband, Army Sgt. Ryan Patterson of the 1/25 Stryker Brigade Combat Team.

In an area made up predominantly of Bengals fans, he grew up a die-hard Colts fan, watching Manning. During his two tours in Afghanistan, Patterson would set alarms to wake up at odd hours of the night just to stream Colts games. He even tried to get relocated to Colorado to catch Broncos games.

He sounds like a perfect candidate to meet his top sports icon, right?

The only problem was, Kristen Patterson wasn't writing from the contiguous United States. The couple and their 10-month-old daughter, Olivia, had recently moved 3,950 miles from where they were stationed in Fort Campbell, Ky., to Fort Wainwright in North Pole, Alaska.

She requested a meeting with Manning when they'd be back in the Midwest to attend the Broncos and Bengals game Dec. 22 while visiting family for the holidays but, of course, hadn't provided any contact information.

So Manning requested the Broncos' public relations team try to find her. It took three months but the Broncos tracked down Patterson's phone number through the utility company in North Pole. The company contacted the state troopers, who called Kristen Patterson.

She later spoke to the Broncos, setting up a meeting with Manning on Dec. 21 at the hotel the team was staying at in the Cincinnati area.

"When I got a call from (an Alaska) state trooper they asked if I wrote a letter to Peyton Manning," Patterson said, adding that she was confused at first. "They said the Denver Broncos were trying to get a hold of me. When I sent it, you never know if someone is going to read it or if it is going to be tossed in a pile. So I thought they never read it, no big deal."

A state trooper called Ryan Patterson's phone and asked for his wife. To keep the meeting a surprise, Kristen told her husband it was about a police dog demonstration for the school where she worked.

When they arrived in Cincinnati, she convinced her husband they were going to dinner with a friend, but he realized something when they arrived at the Broncos' team hotel.

"I was trying to keep it as a surprise, but I'm a horrible liar and I couldn't think of a reason why we would be going to a hotel," she said. "It would have been really hard to keep it (a secret), plus he needed time to process everything."

The hotel lobby was full of Broncos fans. Ryan Patterson's initial thought was he would be among many to receive autographs and vying to snap a quick photo and hello. Instead, the family was taken up an escalator to a private conference room.

"The team's flight was delayed, so I was pacing the room like I was expecting a child. I saw (Manning) come up the escalator and my first reaction was he is at least 15 feet tall, if not taller," said Ryan Patterson, who had a picture taken with Manning and received an autographed football. "Peyton introduced himself, asked my daughter's name and played with her for a second and thanked me for my service."

The Pattersons described Manning as personable, approachable and, above all else, genuine.

"He seemed genuinely tickled that we lived in North Pole, Alaska. He said, 'You guys are really hard to find,'" Patterson said. "Before he left he shook my hand and thanked me for my service one more time and I thanked him for being my quarterback.

"(Kristen) enjoyed the fact that she is the greatest wife ever and there was nothing I could ever do to top this. "If you asked me who is the one person, anybody in the world, I want to meet, I would immediately say Peyton Manning and she made that happen."

Here is Kristen Patterson's original letter to Peyton Manning:

Dear Mr. Manning,
My name is Kristen Patterson. I am writing to ask a question. You see my husband is a HUGE fan, and when I say HUGE I mean it. He is currently serving our country in the United States Army and has deployed twice to Afghanistan. He would set alarms to wake up at odd hours in the night just to listen to your football games. We recently had to move across the country for the Army and he tried to get us stationed in Colorado just so he could ensure that he would never miss your games.
We will be attending the Bengals vs. Broncos game on December 22, 2014, while home for the holidays, and it would mean so much to my husband if you might be able to find the time to just even say hello, not to mention it would make me to coolest wife ever of all time. I know you are a busy man, and if you can't, it will be ok. I just thought I might ask in the rare chance that you might agree to this.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Sincerely,
Kristen Patterson

IndyStar  wrote:

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
9 years ago
Cool story.
Kristen (my wifes name as well), gets the "wife of the year award".
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
Sometimes on the field Peyton rubs me the wrong way, but I take it as how he plays. However, off the field he seems like a really likeable guy. Thanks so much for sharing a great story and a reminder that there still are guys out there who take being a professional sports athlete as a real privilege.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.