musccy
9 years ago
I honestly don't know what was called or who was responsible for calling it. As it turned out we had AJ Hawk and Sean Richardson roughly in positions to cover a punter and a left tackle. In most instances I'd be OK with those match ups. I don't know if that was incidental, or by design and Hawk/Richardson just misplayed it.

We're nitpicking every detail through glasses tinted with Mike McCarthy disgust. As I've said repeatedly over the past two days, it blows my mind that more blame isn't directed towards the people truly responsible for what transpires on the field - the players.

Quarless drop on a 3rd down convo in the 4th Q, Rogers/Jordy miss in endzone, Starks drop at the 5, Lacy drop on screen, two picks in FG range, Peppers/Burnett giving up AT LEAST 10 + yards, Bostick, and the 2 pt convo. You could argue at least 1, and maybe up to 3 of those cost the Packers a TD and they are not MM's fault. These are things that directly affect the outcome of the game and we're glossing over them so we can find an easier scapegoat.

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Packers had 2 turnovers, Seahawks had 5 turnovers.
Packers had 13 drives, Seahawks had 16 drives.

What?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

OT
1 play kneel to end regulation
Onside Kick.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
9 years ago

LOL

We've got no shortage of scapegoats.

As for Mike, this is what he is all about. I've been complaining about it for years, and you all defend him by saying, IT'S OK IF WE SHIT OURSELVES. WE WON ANYWAY. And when we don't, you say IT'S OK IF WE LOST. WE WON IT ALL FIVE YEARS AGO.

This game is a prime example of why you play fundamentally sound football.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I saw a post from Wilde about the most gut wrenching Packer's playoff losses.

In no particular order...

Denver SB
Owens Catch
4th and 26
Burt's OT pick
Sunday

All could be examples of "shitting themselves." Is this "shitting yourself" epidemic unique just to Mike McCarthy?
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

I honestly don't know what was called or who was responsible for calling it. As it turned out we had AJ Hawk and Sean Richardson roughly in positions to cover a punter and a left tackle. In most instances I'd be OK with those match ups. I don't know if that was incidental, or by design and Hawk/Richardson just misplayed it.

We're nitpicking every detail through glasses tinted with Mike McCarthy disgust. As I've said repeatedly over the past two days, it blows my mind that more blame isn't directed towards the people truly responsible for what transpires on the field - the players.

Quarless drop on a 3rd down convo in the 4th Q, Rogers/Jordy miss in endzone, Starks drop at the 5, Lacy drop on screen, two picks in FG range, Peppers/Burnett giving up AT LEAST 10 + yards, Bostick, and the 2 pt convo. You could argue at least 1, and maybe up to 3 of those cost the Packers a TD and they are not MM's fault. These are things that directly affect the outcome of the game and we're glossing over them so we can find an easier scapegoat.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

There is little that can be said or debated about a dropped ball, or Burnett taking a knee or Bostick it is pretty much a given on how those plays could have changed the outcome.

There is all kinds of debate that can be had about situational play calling and coaching.
musccy
9 years ago

There is little that can be said or debated about a dropped ball, or Burnett taking a knee or Bostick it is pretty much a given on how those plays could have changed the outcome.

There is all kinds of debate that can be had about situational play calling and coaching.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

But what is more influential in the outcome of the game? Lombardi used to say you should tell the defense you're running a sweep and still gain 3 yards. Ketchman will always say execution trumps scheme and I agree.

If Cobb drops the ball, or Kuhn misses the Peppers block v. the Bears last year the play call is completely irrelevant. The execution matters, and I just listed 8 or so OBVIOUS and simple execution flaws that easily could have changed the game.

nerdmann
9 years ago

I saw a post from Wilde about the most gut wrenching Packer's playoff losses.

In no particular order...

Denver SB
Owens Catch
4th and 26
Burt's OT pick
Sunday

All could be examples of "shitting themselves." Is this "shitting yourself" epidemic unique just to Mike McCarthy?

All these coaches had their limitations IMO.

The most solid was Holmgren, although he frankly shit himself in that SB. Numerous players have come forward and said so. He kept sending people out on passing routes instead of keeping them in for max protect. Widely percieved to have cost us the game.

As for Burt, he was clearly blackmailed to throw games, imo. I stated the same suspicion about Brad Jones before the NFCC this past week. There was much that was suspicious in this game, most significantly, Burnett downing that INT.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
9 years ago
I don't know if I buy into conspiracy theories. Maybe with Mike because at the time I think he was weighing a job opening in Seattle and may have been distracted? Regardless, I find it pretty unlikely.

My bigger point is that we've seen 3 different coaches with underwhelming performances, not just MM. Holmgren couldn't win in Dallas. Didn't they lose to a terrible Colts team one of those 13-3 seasons? Even belicheck had a 16-0 team lose in the SB to a 9-7 team. It happens. Do the Packers have flaws, shortcomings, maybe even trends? Sure, but it's not just them.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
My problem with the onside kick blame on the players is in the Detroit finale we gave up an onside free kick on the Safety and very nearly gave up a onside kick on the subesquent score. We almost gave up 3 onside kicks in a row. That is absolutely ludricous and how not to put that on coaching is beyond me.

I complained during the Pats game how I believed that we had the potential of blowing that game because we decided to run the ball instead of playing our game the way we always do and was told that the percentages say that is what you do. Guess what? The percentages sometimes lie. They were without their starting Safety and had a banged up Sherman. We should have easily been able to exploit them for some easy receptions for first downs as they were selling out the run.

Our strength is our offense. I don't know why we didn't give them the responsibility of closing out the game instead of putting the onus on the Defense and Special Teams.

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

But what is more influential in the outcome of the game? Lombardi used to say you should tell the defense you're running a sweep and still gain 3 yards. Ketchman will always say execution trumps scheme and I agree.

If Cobb drops the ball, or Kuhn misses the Peppers block v. the Bears last year the play call is completely irrelevant. The execution matters, and I just listed 8 or so OBVIOUS and simple execution flaws that easily could have changed the game.

No one play or play call is more influential than another in most cases. Any one of at least a dozen different plays could have easily given the Packers the win.

Sure execution matters, so does realizing what the team does good and what they don't. The team has not been good at power running. We went 4 plays against Det at the one and couldn't ram it in. So after trying once to ram it down their throats fine, after the players failed to execute enough to score, lining up in the same formation and only change the ball carrier isn't good coaching. Do something different, motion somebody to try and move the defense into a different alignment. Spread the defense out more.

Knowing that execution matters and sometimes players make mistakes, is all the reason more to be upset with McCarthy. If he had called plays to try and get one first down after the INT so the defense didn't have to hold, or so the onside kick wouldn't have mattered, or any of the other mistakes that happened. But he didn't he put the defense back on the field and expected them to execute and stop Seattle rather than using his offense and having them try and execute to get that one first down.
gotarace
9 years ago
Does this all play back to Mike McCarthy or is this another Monday morning QB straw grab? I still can't understand the series of events leading to this brutal loss but we need to move forward. I think Mike McCarthy is a great coach but the flaw I see is not having a true play calling offensive coordinator. Between MM... a great offensive minded OC and Aaron Rogers we could really have a special run for the balance of Aaron's career. I just think Mike McCarthy is spreading himself too thin. Someone else calling the plays either Aaron or a OC could leave Mike a bit more time to tweak errors making us a more complete team.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (8h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (23h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (23h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
39m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.