sschind
8 years ago

It has become such a cliche that it now seems to minimize the impact of any scandal. People become cynical much too quickly to propagate old comparisons.

It’s like how we add ‘–oholic’ to the ends of things we’re addicted to, even though ‘-oholic’ is not a suffix.

Originally Posted by: Gilligan 

or -itis. It's a medical term that means inflammation or swelling. How many time did we hear that Ahman Green had a swelling of the fumble.

sschind
8 years ago
So is everyone just conveniently ignoring what Rodgers said or what?

You can argue that more air doesn't affect anything while too much does but IMO putting too much air in the ball is just as bad as taking too much out in so far as it is a violation of the rules. The difference is that the Packers are doing it before the inspection so there is a good chance it will be caught and fixed. Still, why over inflate the balls knowing they will be deflated unless you are hoping that somehow they slip through. IMO they are trying to circumvent the rules. Saying you don't agree with the rule doesn't exempt you from following it and expecting your manipulation of the rules to get fixed doesn't excuse it. Its the hoping it doesn't get fixed where the problem lies.

I first became aware of Rodgers comments and preference of handling hard balls (it works both ways) just a couple of days ago and thought it was a recent development but I see the from PFWT post it is not. That and the fact that Phil Simms was discussing it during a game means it was not. I'll be curious to see if this goes anywhere although apparently not. I wonder if Bellichick or Kraft will push the issue. If I were either of them I would. Heck If I were losing a draft pick and money and other teams were doing something similar I'd raise a stink over it.

I'd say this is more disgraceful than the whole military thing uffda brought up. Maybe a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1-10.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

So is everyone just conveniently ignoring what Rodgers said or what?

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Rodgers isn't trying to circumvent the system. He is using the system to get as much air in the balls as the officials will allow. If Brady had the balls inflated 1lb under, and the officials added air until they determined it was OK, no problem. Same for Rodgers having the balls over letting the officials bring them into compliance. Where the problem comes in is changing them after inspected.

It is a problem I have with Nascar rules. Cars go through pre-race, win, than get inspected again post-race, and Nascar finds something that should not have been allowed in the first place so they punish the team for an illegal part. When they should not have passed the car pre-race in the first place. And if they had done their job, the team would have gone back and put on a part that did pass.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
steveishere
8 years ago
I think they deserved to get punished but the punishment they got is ridiculous. Anyone think that if Oakland did the same exact thing they lose a 1st/4th and Carr gets suspended for 4 games... I doubt it. The NFL is just handing out punishments based on how much the public/media cares about an issue not about how bad it is, that's why they keep losing when their punishments get taken to court. Minnesota, San Diego, and someone else all got caught messing with footballs and they all got a slap on the wrist, that shows you how much the NFL actually cared about football integrity related issues until it became a "thing" in the media with NE. Is the difference between what those teams did and what NE did worth the difference between a 25k fine and the harshest punishment in NFL history... no freaking way. I don't even like NE or Tom Brady at all but I'd prefer if the NFL was fair and honest instead of this weak ass reactionary BS. They need to be fair and consistent with punishments no matter what the public is up in arms about at a particular time.
sschind
8 years ago

Rodgers isn't trying to circumvent the system. He is using the system to get as much air in the balls as the officials will allow. If Brady had the balls inflated 1lb under, and the officials added air until they determined it was OK, no problem. Same for Rodgers having the balls over letting the officials bring them into compliance. Where the problem comes in is changing them after inspected.

It is a problem I have with Nascar rules. Cars go through pre-race, win, than get inspected again post-race, and Nascar finds something that should not have been allowed in the first place so they punish the team for an illegal part. When they should not have passed the car pre-race in the first place. And if they had done their job, the team would have gone back and put on a part that did pass.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I do understand the difference and I agree that doing it after they are inspected is not the same as doing it before. Still, I can't help but think part of the reason for over inflating them in the first place is hoping that somehow they will slip through. If there is a range allowed just set them at the level you prefer within the range an be done with it. Quit tying to be cute about it. If I'm an official and a ball comes in over the limit I would assume someone is trying to pull a fast one so I would take it down to the low edge of the limit. Same as if they were under inflated, I'd pump them up to the max.
greengold
8 years ago

I do understand the difference and I agree that doing it after they are inspected is not the same as doing it before. Still, I can't help but think part of the reason for over inflating them in the first place is hoping that somehow they will slip through. If there is a range allowed just set them at the level you prefer within the range an be done with it. Quit tying to be cute about it. If I'm an official and a ball comes in over the limit I would assume someone is trying to pull a fast one so I would take it down to the low edge of the limit. Same as if they were under inflated, I'd pump them up to the max.

The act of checking the pressure removes some air from the ball. A small amount, but it is not a very big volume to start with.

If Aaron has his footballs prepped and inflated to 13.5#, they are going to come back from the officials inflated slightly less than 13.5#. If he has them inflated to 13.6# or 14#, there is a better chance they will come back at 13.5#.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it. 😎

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Per the report, three of the four Colts footballs tested had moved from at or above 13 PSI before the game to less than 12.5 PSI at halftime. Why only four Colts footballs tested? This fact here adds credence to the whole "witch hunt" that I'm sure will be mentioned in the appeal.

As I've said before and will again. Everyone just use the same damn footballs. You're professionals, deal with it. Kickers, Punters, Quarterbacks, whomever, everyone use the same footballs. No more drama.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

If you and I both measured the same ball, what you might read as 13.5, I might see as 13.3 or 13.7. Each official is going read the gage slightly different. Its no different than a DB or WR seeing how much contact or pushing the officials are going to allow, if they let DBs maintain contact for 10 yards they DBs are going to do that even though it is still against the rules.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
Last night I rotated the tires on my wife's car. It caught me by surprise that the vehicle calls for 35lbs of pressure in the rear tires, and 30lbs in the front.

So once I had them rotated, I called Tom to come and let some air out of the front tires.
Porforis
8 years ago

I prefer unimaginative prickgate

The funny thing is the original usage of a term using gate as an indicator of a scandal was Watergate. If that term were coined today it would mean a scandal involving water when in reality it had nothing to do with a scandal at all except for being the name of the hotel where the scandal happened. Heck if the Democrats hadn't been so lavish we might be be referring to stuff like this as deflatesuper8 or spymotel6 Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

Spymotel6 actually has a pretty good ring to it. Dibs on the movie title.