musccy
9 years ago

You can't compare this game to the NFC Championship. So much was different. Two different games, two different settings, and two different game plans. It doesn't make any sense to compare the two.

New England played to their strength (Tom Brady) instead of worrying about what Seattle does. Brady is their best player and they put the ball in his hand. He wasn't flawless. He made missed some throws, but he rose to the occasion. His two fourth-quarter TD drives was a privileged to watch. Good stuff. Good football.

Regarding the call, sometimes a bad call is a bad call. Marshawn Lynch is the best red zone back in football. Feed him the rock in that situation. Seattle got too cute. That was the difference in the end. Pete Carroll was worrying about what New England would do. Bill Belichick was playing to his team's strength.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I got in a debate with someone on here 2 weeks ago complaining the Packers ran on 2nd, 3rd, and then kicked 4th and 1 from the goal.

My issue is that what I so often read here or elsewhere is analysis that essentially boils down to did the play work Y/N? If it worked and you ran/passed - your run/pass was brilliant. If it failed and you ran/passed - you're a moron or not aggressive enough. How bad would Carroll have looked if Wilson was sacked at the end of the 1st half and they didn't even get 3 points. Well it worked so he's smart now (or at least as of halftime).

On Mike and Mike this morning, I think they said Lynch had something like 9 1st and goal from the 1 attempts this year for 5 yards. As I said elsewhere, there were 109 1st and 1 pass attempts in the NFL this year....1 interception. Was the play really that risky?

As far as the put it in your best player's hands thoughts. I agree to an extent, but if you have a nice new Audi you don't drive it in the snowstorm just because it's your prettiest car. Lacy or Wilson aren't chopped liver. In the Packers' case, Lacy killed clock and timeouts in a 12 point game. I'm not saying a first down wouldn't have greatly helped the Packers, just that it's not as bad an approach as it's being made out to be. In the case of Wilson, although it was intended to be a snap decision, you still have the ball in the hands of one of the most elusive QBs in the NFL if the slant wasn't there.
musccy
9 years ago

If Seattle is gonna throw the ball, why not say a play action pass like the TD they scored earlier? Why not a roll out or a boot leg to take advantage of Wilsons mobility? The guy who called the play is essentially throwing his WR under the bus (even though he put him in the spot) by saying he should have fought for it more. The WR on the play Lockette is an UDFA/Practice Squad fodder who only has a whopping 18 career receptions in the regular season. Seattle players openly wonder why the play was called. It all points to the same thing: they got away from their identity at the critical moment and that's why in the end it's a terrible play call.

(and an amazing play by Malcolm Butler)

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Chris Matthews didn't catch a ball all season but which WR did they go to with 6 seconds to go in the first half?

Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Chris Matthews didn't catch a ball all season but which WR did they go to with 6 seconds to go in the first half?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

The same WR that already had made a big momentum swinging catch and the only Seahawks receiver to show the ability to beat the Patriots DBs. Not to mention the Patriots had zero tape on the guy. Hell they probably should have gone to him on a jump ball.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
musccy
9 years ago

The same WR that already had made a big momentum swinging catch and the only Seahawks receiver to show the ability to beat the Patriots DBs. Not to mention the Patriots had zero tape on the guy. Hell they probably should have gone to him on a jump ball.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

You're saying it was silly to go to Lockette because he only had 18 career catches and was a UDFA, big moment in the game, etc...and then your response to my comment is they should have gone to the guy who had no NFL catches because they didn't have tape on him? By that logic the Packers should have started Myles White in the NFCG.

Jermaine Kearse' first catch in the NFCG was the last play of the game.

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
Lynch didn't get the ball because he was only there so he didn't get fined.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

You're saying it was silly to go to Lockette because he only had 18 career catches and was a UDFA, big moment in the game, etc...and then your response to my comment is they should have gone to the guy who had no NFL catches because they didn't have tape on him? By that logic the Packers should have started Myles White in the NFCG.

Jermaine Kearse' first catch in the NFCG was the last play of the game.

I suggested they should have gone to him out of sarcasm but seeing is how he had already made big plays that game it would have been better (and do note that I said a jump ball).

Edit: And it's silly to go to Lockette because the dude is what, 8th-9th in the offensive pecking order? It's tired and it's cliched but you go with your best players when the game is on the line.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Throwing to Quarless is not a defense of our game plan as he is not a safe target. Throwing on a 3rd down when the defense knows you are going to throw is not a rational response. To me this even hurt more and I just wished they would have ran on the play because it made no difference.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

so we cut Quarless then. No sense keeping him around if he is not a safe target. If the guy is on the field he you have to use him or be confident that you can use him or else WTF is he doing there. It really cuts into your play calling options if you look at your play chart then say "oh shit, we can't call that Quarless is in there"

sschind
9 years ago

They were stupid for throwing it to him. He is not a safe target. Everyone knows you should throw to the guy everyone expects you to throw it to.

warhawk
9 years ago
Seattle thought they were going to catch NE totally off guard with that call and the CB made one of the clutch plays in SB history. End of story. I say it's justice because the same kid made a heck of a play on the pass that got Seattle down there but of course the ball bounced the Seahawks way.

I don't expect to see Seattle back. They have to pay Wilson now and he doesn't seem to be the Arod or Brady type that can put a team on his back. Their D will start to fall off with the cap hit they take and that was the component that put them in these last two SB's more than Wilson.
I thought it was interesting how GB pressured Wilson and NE went the other way and defended the receivers. In both cases it worked but with that D Wilson only needed a play here or there to pull out a win.

I think it will be hard for Seattle to win their division next year really. With Arizona getting their QB back and figuring the 49'rs will rebound it won't be easy for sure.

"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (3h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (19h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (19h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.