texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

They beat the Super Bowl champs...they beat a once hot Eagles team by how many points? Didn't the Pats lose by 30 to the Chiefs, who didn't make the playoffs?

Who on here REALLY thought the Pack would beat the Seahawks before the game? Saying we played down to them is revisionist history.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I thought so - I'm pretty sure I'm on record somewhere in here saying that. I think some others also are.

My take on the TOPIC of the Thread is this:

It's TRUE, the Packers have had worse results than their talent would indicate they should have BUT ..... that talent level is NOT even across the board. Aaron Rodgers is the straw that stirs the drink. You get beyond him, and the talent is little if any above average.

Most of the criticism of McCarthy is very justified - hyper-cautious playcalling, etc. However, the TRUE fault lies with Ted Thompson for NOT maximizing the talent around Aaron Rodgers. If we just had a better O Line - Rodgers is head and shoulders better than Brady, but he virtually never has the time to throw that Brady has. Our Defense was better this year, but the fact is, it survives on Capers' scheming, trickery, and compensation - and a lot of times, the effectiveness of that wears off late in games.

So yeah, McCarthy has been deficient in producing results up to the standard of a team with Aaron Rodgers at QB, but the greater deficiency has been Ted Thompson failing to bring in a max supporting cast.

Am I the only one who thinks this? I read a LOT of negativity about McCarthy and hardly any regarding Thompson. Why?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks this? I read a LOT of negativity about McCarthy and hardly any regarding Thompson. Why?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I have questioned Thompson on the OL and know we share the same thought on this. Give Rodgers time and he will kill any Defense.

Where I do tend to give him a pass is on FA. At the end of the day the player needs to want to be in Green Bay. That is a hard sell for Wives and Girlfriends as well as some young men who want a night life. Unless we want to overpay or the guys know the situation (our own draft picks) we just don't have the appeal.

Do you ever read about a FA that says he wants to come here, like we've heard about New England or recently Seattle? Yeah people want to be winners, but they always want a big market and all the perks that go with that other than an Applebee's.
DakotaT
9 years ago

I view Lacy as a superior talent. Jordy and Cobb are pretty good too. But anyway, before we "move on," I would like to fix what it is that we continue to do wrong. Otherwise we're back where we started and are not truly "moving on."

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You can't fix moronic play like we witnessed in the NFC championship. You get rid of the shitheads and bring new guys in.

Lacy is a power runner. If he had break away speed, he'd have superior talent. You underestimate what the word superior is. Adrian Peterson was a superior talent.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

I thought so - I'm pretty sure I'm on record somewhere in here saying that. I think some others also are.

It's TRUE, the Packers have had worse results than their talent would indicate they should have BUT ..... that talent level is NOT even across the board. Aaron Rodgers is the straw that stirs the drink. You get beyond him, and the talent is little if any above average.

Most of the criticism of McCarthy is very justified - hyper-cautious playcalling, etc. However, the TRUE fault lies with Ted Thompson for NOT maximizing the talent around Aaron Rodgers. If we just had a better O Line - Rodgers is head and shoulders better than Brady, but he virtually never has the time to throw that Brady has. Our Defense was better this year, but the fact is, it survives on Capers' scheming, trickery, and compensation - and a lot of times, the effectiveness of that wears off late in games.

So yeah, McCarthy has been deficient in producing results up to the standard of a team with Aaron Rodgers at QB, but the greater deficiency has been Ted Thompson failing to bring in a max supporting cast.

NE talent isn't any greater than the Packers. Seattle probably has more talent than the packers do today, but that is a result of having just rebuilt and not having the veteran contracts. When we last won the SB, we also had more talent because we were not paying the big contracts we are today. We could probably have some more talent, but then again we could be in the boat of teams like the Ravens, sitting on 3 million cap space unless they get Flacco, Ngata and probably a couple others to restructure and than they are still just pushing the cost down the road.

there have been plenty of threads about Ted and the talent, recently the topic has just been more about coaching and play calling. That will all change as it always does.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
yooperfan
9 years ago

You are not the only one that thinks this.
For years, long before you came along, I was critical of Thompsons inability to provide better talent to surround Rodgers.
I was of the belief that McCarthy was coaching with one arm tied behind his back due to Thompsons poor drafting and unwillingness to use the free agent tool.
But now Ted has had some good drafts and has even dipped a toe into freeagency resulting in a team that should have won the Super Bowl this year, only to see McCarthy fall flat on his face in the coaching dept.
I was roundly and consistently shouted down in my criticism of Thompson, now I believe both McCarthy and Ted Thompson deserve criticism, but Thompson to a lesser extent than I believed in the past.
After last year I felt that the Packers were stuck in second gear and that changes should be made.
I'm both happy and hopeful now that the Packers are making some changes that were long over due.
I'm hopeful that Ted will continue his short run of productive drafting and that Mike McCarthy will be a more well rounded Head Coach of the entire Green Bay Packers football team.

nerdmann
9 years ago

NE talent isn't any greater than the Packers. Seattle probably has more talent than the packers do today, but that is a result of having just rebuilt and not having the veteran contracts. When we last won the SB, we also had more talent because we were not paying the big contracts we are today. We could probably have some more talent, but then again we could be in the boat of teams like the Ravens, sitting on 3 million cap space unless they get Flacco, Ngata and probably a couple others to restructure and than they are still just pushing the cost down the road.

there have been plenty of threads about Ted and the talent, recently the topic has just been more about coaching and play calling. That will all change as it always does.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

We had the matchup advantage with NE. They didn't have anyone to cover Davante Adams. The Seahawks no longer have Sidney Rice or Percy Harvin. Russell Wilson is overrated and can be beat. Marshawn is still the real deal, but he's only got maybe 1-2 years left in him.

They had plenty of injuries on defense this year too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
9 years ago

Yeah, most people aren't smart as I am.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Don't be so hard on yourself Nerd. There are a lot of people who are as smart as you are.
sschind
9 years ago

Couldn't it be said that Seattle self shit for 55 minutes? I don't know that the Packers out played Seahawks. I think it is more that Seattle tried to give it away. We refused to take it. Just because Seattle sucked for 55 minutes doesn't mean we were more talented. Or less.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Oh no, not possible. We are the only team that self shits. When other teams play poorly against us it has nothing to do with how they are playing poorly and everything about how we are superior but when we are playing poorly its always our own fault and has nothing to do with what the other team is doing.

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
Until I am under contract as the short yardage punter, the team will NEVER have superior talent.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
9 years ago

Oh no, not possible. We are the only team that self shits. When other teams play poorly against us it has nothing to do with how they are playing poorly and everything about how we are superior but when we are playing poorly its always our own fault and has nothing to do with what the other team is doing.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Seattle got where they were, because the Cardinals lost 3 QBs, and the Packers shit themselves in week 1. They did not belong as the #1 seed.

They also lost quite a few players as the season went on. They were quite overrated.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (36m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (50m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
39m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.