Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

INDIANAPOLIS — Mike McCarthy wants Julius Peppers back in 2015. In fact, the Green Bay Packers head coach — clearly the salary cap isn't under his purview — doesn't understand why anyone would even doubt that the veteran outside linebacker will be back.

"I must be the only one who doesn't understand why that question keeps coming up," McCarthy said Thursday at the annual NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium when asked during a podium session with reporters whether he envisions Peppers coming back. "Yeah, I definitely believe Julius Peppers is going to be here. He was very comfortable. He had a great year. He made an impact both on the field and in the locker room. It was unique to get to know Julius Peppers through the process of once he signed as a free agent. I think he looks great in green and gold."

Peppers, who turned 35 the day of the NFC Championship Game, signed a three-year, $26 million deal last March that paid him a guaranteed $7.5 million signing bonus and $1 million base salary for 2014. That made his 2014 salary-cap number only $3.5 million, but his cap number jumps to $12 million in 2015 and $10.5 million in 2016. His 2015 base salary is scheduled to be $8.5 million, and his 2016 base salary is $7 million.

Peppers played in all 16 regular-season games, playing 825 snaps and registering 45 tackles, seven sacks and 11 pass breakups. He also had two interceptions — both of which he returned for touchdowns, against Minnesota and Philadelphia — and forced a team-best four fumbles. He recovered three fumbles, also most on the team.

While the Packers' official team stats had Peppers for 17 quarterback hits, the advanced statistics site Pro Football Focus credited him with 11 quarterback hits and 31 quarterback hurries — most on the team — and he and Clay Matthews tied for the team lead in combined sacks-hits-hurries.

Despite that production, one would think a $12 million cap number would be problematic, but apparently McCarthy doesn't see it that way.

Earlier in the day, general manager Ted Thompson avoided a question about Peppers return — "We try to bring all of our players back," he said — and said the team would consider signing a player like Peppers again this spring if the right situation arose.

"We like to make our team better. We're going to do whatever we can to make our team better," Thompson said. "Hopefully, we can do that in the draft class with these young men; hopefully, we can do it keeping our own guys; hopefully, we can do it picking up a veteran or two."

Late in the season, Peppers made it clear that he wasn't planning on retiring  even if the Packers won the Super Bowl, which of course they did not do. Asked at that time whether he thought he'd be back in Green Bay, he replied, "As far as I know, it's going to be here. But I don't know anything different." Asked if he expected the Packers to ask him to restructure his deal, Peppers' answer was, "Maybe. That hasn't even been on my radar, to be honest with you. It's not really important right now, so I haven't really thought about it."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

warhawk
9 years ago
This will be interesting to see what happens. Peppers did have a good year and helped the team and didn't cost much because the Bears ate a lot of it.
However, from a pure business standpoint the reality of it is he will not get $12 million from anybody and probably not with another team that has a real shot at a ring. He's also at that age where the question is can he do it again this year and produce like he did in 2014?
The other side of that is that as it stands the NT position is iffy and if the defense is going to improve replacing both Hawk and Jones is a must so the timing of moving on from Peppers is not good. Certainly not from the standpoint of veteran presence on the field.

This is a classic example of why dipping into FA is risky. It doesn't take much to be in a position where a team loses better players and more so in a case like this where you have to wonder if he can keep it going. Fortunately it looks like the Packers can retain most of the guys they want to keep this year but it sure doesn't take many FA deals like this to get your butt in a crack.

"The train is leaving the station."
nerdmann
9 years ago

This will be interesting to see what happens. Peppers did have a good year and helped the team and didn't cost much because the Bears ate a lot of it.
However, from a pure business standpoint the reality of it is he will not get $12 million from anybody and probably not with another team that has a real shot at a ring. He's also at that age where the question is can he do it again this year and produce like he did in 2014?
The other side of that is that as it stands the NT position is iffy and if the defense is going to improve replacing both Hawk and Jones is a must so the timing of moving on from Peppers is not good. Certainly not from the standpoint of veteran presence on the field.

This is a classic example of why dipping into FA is risky. It doesn't take much to be in a position where a team loses better players and more so in a case like this where you have to wonder if he can keep it going. Fortunately it looks like the Packers can retain most of the guys they want to keep this year but it sure doesn't take many FA deals like this to get your butt in a crack.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Bring him back at a reduced salary AND a reduced pitch count. Keep him fresh and healthy for the playoff run.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

While Peppers did make the defense better, it would be tough to see him getting paid $8.5 million for limited snaps. While it worked last season, there is no telling if he will be able to have the same successes he had or if his snap count will be even more limited. Add to this, Nick Perry's play has been getting better.

On the other hand, Packers just cut Brad Jones which freed up another $3.5 million. I think that will currently put the Packers around $28 million in cap space. So, if the Packers can afford him at $8.5 million...why does it matter?
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago

While Peppers did make the defense better, it would be tough to see him getting paid $8.5 million for limited snaps. While it worked last season, there is no telling if he will be able to have the same successes he had or if his snap count will be even more limited. Add to this, Nick Perry's play has been getting better.

On the other hand, Packers just cut Brad Jones which freed up another $3.5 million. I think that will currently put the Packers around $28 million in cap space. So, if the Packers can afford him at $8.5 million...why does it matter?

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Could be ~ 33 million with a new projected salary cap 143 mil salary cap 2015? 

shield4life
9 years ago
They can easily swallow Peppers contract this season. I would be surprised, shocked actually to not see him in GB next year. He improved the defense that's all I can say!
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (15h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.