sschind
9 years ago

Oh Shit I think North Dakota has made it to 90 degrees because I am agreeing with Dakota lol. Spend the money on defense and you will win trophies, look at Baltimore and their 2 trophies. Give Cobb 9 million a year for 4 years if he declines then you say ✋

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Not if your offense goes to shit in the meantime.

Besides where is it written that the two are mutually exclusive. There is no reason why the Packers can't sign Cobb AND Bulaga AND address the needs on defense. That is what I want to see. I don't want to see them spend all their money locking up Cobb and Bulaga to the tune of ignoring the defense but I don't want them to blow their wad on the defensive side of the ball and watch their offense slide into the trash heap either.

Some people are saying Cobb and Bulaga are must signs and others say our offense will be fine with whomever we plug in there so they are expendable and spending money fixing the defense is the way to go. Well, the way to go is keeping your good players and adding more good players. That is the way to improve. Otherwise you are just spinning your wheels.

I don't think anyone is saying give Cobb megatron type money or Bulaga elite left tackle money but I seriously doubt it would take that for either of them.

To me it comes down to this. I think the Packers can afford Cobb and Bulaga and have money left over to address their defensive issues. Its as simple as that and that is what I would like to see them do.
GermanGilbert
9 years ago

Jeff Janis, Jared Abberderis , a mid round WR or cheap free agent are reasons why Cobb is expendable. Ted Thompson has proven he can draft WRs also.

Originally Posted by: packman82 

Ted Thompson has proven, that he can draft WRs for sure. But I don't see any reason in your list that makes Cobb expendable. Jeff Janis had 2 catches all season long and Abbrecadabra (which I loved playing for Wisconsin and was excited when the Packers drafted him) didn't play a single NFL snap so far. Plus, he has an awful concussion history. Regarding Rookie WRs you really have to hit the jackpot to get an impact guy in his first season. As I said, Ted Thompson picks great WRs on a regular basis, but non of them made an extensive impact in their rookie seasons.

So letting Cobb go would leave the Packers with Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, who had an up and down rookie season, and a bunch of black boxes. Entering the 2015 season with that group would really scare me. People are always complaining about the Packers ruining ARod's prime without winning a trophy. But to win a trophy, #12 needs weapons, so give him a proven weapon and not only Jordy and a bunch of unprovens.

People here say, that Cobb is only a slot WR. And when you judge WRs only where they're lined up most, you have to agree. But that's only half of the story, because Cobb is one of the most versatile WRs in the league. He's dynamic, good hands and makes plays from everywhere. He was also lined up in the backfield and made plays in and out. Plus, he can also return punts, but this is only a small factor to resign him having Hyde out there.

I absolutely agree with Porfois, players shouldn't be paid for where they're lined up, but for the plays they make. And Cobb is a playmaker. We've already seen, put a "no-name" guy like Davante Adams outside and Randall will distroy you from the slot position. For $9 millions a year I would sign Cobb, who has tons of years in front of him, 24/7.

The Edith says, that sschind already said what I wanted to say in the meantime 😉 He's quicker in typing than me for sure.
blank
nerdmann
9 years ago
Davante may have had an "up and down" rookie season, but he did heads and tails more than either Greg Jennings or James Jones did as rookies. And they turned out pretty good.

The same could be said about Richard Rodgers, compared to Finley.

They will both be more than fine. However the fact is Cobb WANTS to test the market. He's got the potential to get PAID in a major way. Coming back he'd get more years with Aaron, but IMO he seemed really disgusted after that playoff loss. Can't say I blame him either.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
I don't want to hear any more talk about how our lines suck if we spend $9 million on a second receiver.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Davante may have had an "up and down" rookie season, but he did heads and tails more than either Greg Jennings or James Jones did as rookies. And they turned out pretty good.

They will both be more than fine. However the fact is Cobb WANTS to test the market. He's got the potential to get PAID in a major way. Coming back he'd get more years with Aaron, but IMO he seemed really disgusted after that playoff loss. Can't say I blame him either.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

It's all in your mind!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
GermanGilbert
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I don't say Davante won't be any good, not at all. And I really hope for him to step in the footsteps of all those great Ted Thompson WRs, but it still needs to be determined. The difference this year to the FA losses of Jennings and Jones is, that the Packers don't have a proven #2 WR. When Jennings (and Driver) left, there was Jordy Nelson, James Jones plus a Cobb coming out of a great 2nd year. When Jones left the Packers still had Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb, 2 absolutly proven WRs. And I just don't see a proven #2 this year which I want to see heading into next season.

blank
Yerko
9 years ago

I don't want to hear any more talk about how our lines suck if we spend $9 million on a second receiver.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

Am I mistaken that the Packers have more than enough cap room to sign both Bulaga and Cobb? Last I checked, they are sitting around $27 million with both Hawk and Jones cut.

Let's just let one of the more versatile WR in the game walk when there is cap room to sign him. If there is a team like the Raiders that are willing to throw $12 million at him, so be it. But to let him walk because he wants $9-$10 million? Terrible idea.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago
One thing is for sure (imo): The Green Bay Packers will be a worse team without Randall Cobb next season. Nine million seems pretty fair to me next season. It would likely seem very reasonable in a year or two. I hope he returns. The Packers will have to strike gold again to replace his production next season. Or least hope that Adams develops into a very good wide #2 wide receiver, which he is not so far. If they could somehow replace Cobb's talent level with equal talent on the defense, then I would be all for that, but that seems very unlikely to me unless they somehow added a player like Suh, which isn't going to happen.
Smokey
9 years ago
An average QB with an average O-line can't elevate an average WR. However a great QB with an above average O-line can elevate an average WR. The Packers #1 priority should be to get B. Bulaga signed to a nice contract, then find an ILB (Draft/Free Agency), and then get the best players available from the draft.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
9 years ago
I wouldn't be that sad to see him go and save that $9 million a year.

It depends on what they then do with the cap space, though.

Let's be real. We just had the most ridiculous WR class in ages. We ourselves have Abbrederis and Janis waiting, a 2nd round pick from last year showing potential in Adams, Boykin is a RFA who can easily be gotten back and we still have the draft coming up. We have some depth and options at the position.

Don't get me wrong. Cobb is, at this point, far better than all but Nelson, but if we save that $9 million a year on Cobb and manage to then get a decent deal on a guy like Julius Thomas, Jerry Hughes or Byron Maxwell, we actually come out as a stronger team.

Maybe it's a bit of wishful thinking, though.
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (1h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (1h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (4h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (5h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (8h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (9h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (14h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (21h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (21h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (22h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Random Babble / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.