greengold
9 years ago

Tretter would also be fractions of the cost. I agree with uffda on this one even if we can pick at holes in his argument. Personally, I prefer BB back, but at a reasonable price and I acknowledge Tretter and Barclay combined are going to be less than 1 BB, with arguably as much versatility, maybe more.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Maybe I missed it but how many games has Tretter played at tackle?

Yes he is on his rookie contract along with Bakhtiari. Both of those contracts run out in 2016, along with Lang and Sitton.

Once his rookie contract run out, if he is starting, you will have to pay him starter money to keep him. Exactly the situation we face today with Bulaga.

If you really think Tretter is a better tackle than Bulaga, then so be it. I haven't seen Tretter play tackle in the NFL yet.

You can make the same argument for Barclay. You can sign him this year for $1.6M and make him the starter. But next year you would have to pay him starter money.

Again, if he is a better tackle than Bulaga, so be it. But I don't think he is.

musccy
9 years ago
Tretter played tackle in college.

I've said before, I prefer BB back. What uffda is asking and I agree with is if the drop off from BB to tretter/barclay is worth the 5 million dollar gap that reports are saying Bulaga is asking for.
greengold
9 years ago

Tretter played tackle in college.

Lotsa guys played tackle in college.

musccy
9 years ago

Lotsa guys played tackle in college.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

...and beast asked if he had ever played tackle before.

I never said barclay/tretter are Anthony Munoz 2.0. The reality of the NFL is you have to take calculated risks on replacing guys due to the cap. Be it luck or skill the Packers just did that successfully at center. I'd rather the Packers NOT gave to replace williams, house, and BB, but it may have to happen, and if BB really wants 7 mil, I'd prefer to risk it with db/jct.
beast
9 years ago

...and beast asked if he had ever played tackle before.

I highly doubt that... because I checked with beast and he knew that not only trotter played OT in (lower level) college ball, but also they had been rotating him in mop up duty at LT since they cut Sherrod, with mixed results. But it's mop up duty... all looks kinda sloppy.

What uffda is asking and I agree with is if the drop off from BB to tretter/barclay is worth the 5 million dollar gap that reports are saying Bulaga is asking for.

And what greengold seems to be implying is that it's only 5 million gap for one year for Barclay because he'll most likely be an UFA next year like Bulaga is now... and if Barclay is the starter then he'll be wanting at least 5 million and the gap will only be 2 million after next offseason.

Tretter has barely played, so I'm not going suggest he's suddenly going to become a starter at OT after he just failed to keep the C position down.

I'm not saying paying Bulaga is the best answer... but to me it seems like the best answer left until MAYBE you factor in the up coming draft. That or signing Jake Long who coming off back to back ACL injuries season to start at RT.

UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago
Tretter didn't fail to keep the C position, he lost it due to injury. Linsley played great, how do you justify the switch?

As for Barclay's contract, that's presumptive, but conceivable I suppose. That said, DB came out of nowhere at LT much like Linsley. . You don't overpay BB because you anticipate having to spend the same money at the position in 12 months.

Yet again, I want to reiterate I'd feel more at ease with BB at RT, but i also acknowledge that in a capped league, you have to be responsible with numbers and be willing to take calculated risks at positions. At 7 mil for BB I think it's worth the risk to stick with DB/JCT/a draft pick.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
How in the world 2017 contracts have been worked into the conversation about Bulaga's 2015 contract situation is beyond me.

Tretter had a freak injury... a fumble drill injury in an OTA if memory serves. Bad luck. Not an injury I foresee happening again. Bulaga on the other hand has knee issues. His knees don't seem to be in the best of shape.

Additionally, Tretter played tackle at Cornell. Ivy league ball. He's a brilliant kid with tons of athleticism. Did you see a lot of Rodgers before he took over for Favre? Were you concerned back then? I wasn't. I couldn't wait for the Rodgers era to begin and the Favre era to end. Same with BB...I'm not a big fan of his and I believe we're going to get as good or better production from our young guys as we would with an almost sure fire IR candidate in BB. He clearly is not using nerd's acupuncture techniques properly.

Ain't no way there's a 5 million gap between the players we could use at RT and BB. Didn't Rodgers win an MVP and SB with Marshall Newhouse at T? That will kinda take the wind out of your sails.

Time is ticking on Bulaga...no announcement on him signing with us. DON'T PAY HIM 7 MILLION!!!!!

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
Keeping the 5 guys together at least 1 more year should be top priority.

I think both sides will find a number that they will agree on.

It is good to have some experienced guys to fall back on.

The Packers get Bulaga signed, just another step toward their 2015 goal.

Shouldn't be long until there is some breaking news.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
isocleas2
9 years ago
I think the packers offense would suffer a major setback without Bulaga, and considering the contracts that have been tossed out this free agency 7 mil a year isn't that bad. The Packers love drafting tackles and converting them so I wouldn't read too much into Tretter's college experience. The truth is if we lose Bulaga we don't have his replacement on the roster and even if we draft a guy, lineman take a couple years to develop so its going to suck for atleast a year.

5 years/35 mil is fair enough, get it done Ted.
DakotaT
9 years ago
I wish we'd get a mauling 330 lb RT for the running game. This whole situation is going to come down to the greed factor for Bryan Bulaga. Hopefully he makes the same decision as Cobb.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.