DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Perhaps Carl Bradford steps up this offseason and shows he can play well inside. Who knows!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
isocleas2
9 years ago
I expect a trade back also. The position the pack need to address the most (ILB) has no one with a 1st round grade, so trading back into the 2nd could still land them a top prospect without reaching. I think the only way they don't trade back is if a NT or CB they like falls to 30.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Two points:
1. It takes two to trade. If everyone thinks there are only a half round's worth of 1st round quality, it'll be rather hard to find a partner.
2. Last year I advocated trading down in a serious way because of the way the talent pool was especially skewed toward late-second to early-fourth round talent. Because I ended up taking things way too seriously when the draft went as it did for GB, I have intentionally not spent much time looking at draft talk/reports/commentary/etc. Anyone got more info on what kind and amount of 2nd-4th round talent out is out there this year?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DoddPower
9 years ago
If the top player remaining on the Packers board is available when their pick comes around, I hope they take him. If they can't distinguish between a pool of players, hopefully they trade back, if possible. Frankly, I hope there is a player available that the Packers ranked higher than anyone else remaining when they pick. Hopefully that would mean they get a good player and a good value without having to settle.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Two points:
1. It takes two to trade. If everyone thinks there are only a half round's worth of 1st round quality, it'll be rather hard to find a partner.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Of course it takes two to trade and if everyone grades players the same, why would there ever be any trades at all? Who said everyone thinks there only 16 first round grade worthy players? I cited one GM does and whom worked with the Packers and Ted Thompson so it is reasonable to assume they have somewhat similar grades on players. You're basically suggesting that 32 GM's are moderately in agreement. Think about that for a second and look at how many trades went down yesterday, lol.

I guess what I'm saying is your first point is bogus. :magnifygl 😄
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

I get Ted Thompson does a great job in the second and third round, but if we are looking at trying to find a starter at ILB and/or CB, do you trust it out of a 2nd round pick?

It could mean we trade up for once if there is someone on his board dropping to the point where the cost isn't too high.

I recognize increasing our odds by accumulating picks, but it seems wasteful at times to draft players you can't keep on your roster and other teams pluck from your practice squad or guys you cut.

The need to possibly address CB and ILB starters makes this a bit of a challenge.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

What matters is what the board looks like not what round a guy is taken in. You could draft the same guy in the late 1st or trade back into the 2nd and get him, it doesn't change how good or bad he is. Both our starting CBs last year were undrafted and our best ILB over the last 5+ seasons was a 5th or 6th rounder (Bishop). If a majority of the players on the board are 2nd round quality which is the assumption in Zero's OP then it makes sense to try and trade back and pick up something extra. You aren't losing quality in a player just because he doesn't have the prestige of being picked in the 1st round. I mean you are talking about a handfull of picks difference here between our 1st round selection (30) and a trade back scenario, do you really think the quality of players is going to drastically change in that time?
Rockmolder
9 years ago

Of course it takes two to trade and if everyone grades players the same, why would there ever be any trades at all? Who said everyone thinks there only 16 first round grade worthy players? I cited one GM does and whom worked with the Packers and Ted Thompson so it is reasonable to assume they have somewhat similar grades on players. You're basically suggesting that 32 GM's are moderately in agreement. Think about that for a second and look at how many trades went down yesterday, lol.

I guess what I'm saying is your first point is bogus. :magnifygl 😄

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I can't imagine that there are a lot of teams in this draft that feel like there are more than 20 legitimate first round picks.

Thing is, with the rookie cap in place, it doesn't really matter. If you want your guy, it doesn't reall make a difference if he's pushed up to the 30th spot because of a lack of talent in the draft. You're going to have to pull the trigger.

texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Schneider's statement is what you'd expect somebody to say who just traded his first round pick.

I don't have any particular reason, but I don't expect the Packers to trade down. This team is deep and strong. We need quality more than quantity. Just the same, this is Ted Thompson we're talking about, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Just because past #1 picks haven't done so well, and past #2s have done well doesn't make #2s better. It's like flipping a coin and getting heads ten times - the chance of tails with #11 is still the same.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
9 years ago

Whoa, that is something earth shattering isn't it? Let me quickly explain me sticking my neck out so far here. Former Ted Thompson disciple, John Schneider has just 16 players with a first round grade and it's easy to surmise Thompson in that same ball park. I could see the Packers trading back 10-15 spots while adding a 3rd rounder in the process at least.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And here I thought you were going to base it on the Packers have the 30th overall pick, and what they did the last time they had the 30ths overall pick....

And the last time they had the 30ths overall pick they traded out of the first round by trading back six spots, letting the Jets draft TE Dustin Keller... and when Packers got to their pick they selected some kid named Jordy Nelson.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Though maybe one argument for not trading back is that the Seahawks and Patriots right behind the Packers might have some similar needs.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (3h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (3h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (4h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (20h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.