Smokey
9 years ago
Returning to GB Packers Talk !

:angel11:
UserPostedImage
greengold
9 years ago

He signed Jeff Saturday because he thought he could help the team. If all he was concerned about the comp pick he wouldn't have signed him.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I believe Saturday was signed with the expectation that he could help the team and with the expectation that it would cost a 4th or 5th round draft pick.

It just turned out to be a miscalculation of how much Saturday had left in the tank.

Smokey
9 years ago
What Draft and Compensatory picks do the Packers currently own ?

Where are the stat hogs when you need them ?

:angel11:
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

What Draft and Compensatory picks do the Packers currently own ?

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I believe the Packers have the 30th pick in each round and I already answered you about the Comp picks when you asked the first time....

I don't believe they've been released yet, but should be coming in the next week, I think, as the NFL normally releases them during or shortly after the NFL Owners late March meetings (March 22-25: Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona. )

I believe the Packers should be getting two 6th round comp picks, one for C Evan Dietrich-Smith and one for WR James Jones. And possible a 7th round comp pick for OL Marshall Newhouse if he got enough to meet the minimum for a 7th round pick.

Originally Posted by: beast 

UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago
Thanks Beast, thought maybe other members may have had more info.

:8:
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Thanks Beast, thought maybe other members may have had more info.

:8:

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Very true... other members could, in theory, have access inside the NFL and could already know what the comp picks will be months in advance. Or could make up some stuff... :magnifygl

There should be official info coming out within the week (I think) and another member will probably post it before I do.

But my wild guess is that the Packers picks will look something like this
#209 (comp 6th pick)
#210 (comp 6th pick)

With a possible comp 7th pick as a possible.

Others are free to guess what the pre-draft picks will be.

UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

I think you're very mistaken here. To me there seems to be a clear set formula for the NFL that they use year in and year out (that they won't release to the public), that's largely based on average dollar amount per year of the new contract equally to a certain percentage of the NFL set cap limit. I believe it was correctly guess about the Packers getting a 3rd and 5th round comp picks last year based on Jennings' (9 million per year) and Walden's (4 million per year deal). Now those aren't the only factors... which makes it harder especially when there is an extreme in one of the other factors.

Now the cap has gone up and with Dietrich-Smith's $3.56+ per year deal and Jones' 3.33+ deal, I don't think they'll be 5th round picks like Walden was, but it all depends on where that threshold in the formula is really.

Very true... they only give out 32 picks (so basically it's really 8 rounds of drafting).

But the top 32 net FA transactions to get a comp pick if they meet a minimum requirement (which again isn't released) but they have the last two years. My guess is that Newhouse and C.J. Wilson aren't going to meet the minimum.

You are right, there is a formula. With the 32 picks though it is no guarantee that you will get a comp pick for your guy especially if he is on the lower end. Do you know if the picks by round are limited in any way? Only so many after each round for example or if 32 guys would all sign deals that qualified them for the highest round pick would they all get it or would the lower end ones get bumped down or would there just be no lower round picks?
beast
9 years ago

Do you know if the picks by round are limited in any way?

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Not that I know of... the highest is 3rd round, which it takes a lot to get a 3rd round, I think it's over $8 million per year... so there normally isn't a ton of them. But 4th round and the rest can go up and down... for example in 2010 draft, ONE 4th round comp picks. In 2012 draft there are EIGHT 4th round comp picks.

But comp picks are limited to 4 per year for a single team... so if a team loses 5 players to big / good size money deals, the best they can get is 4 comp picks. Which I think in 2012 some complained about because the Packers could of possible got 5 comp picks if not for that rules (3 of the five would of been 7th round picks and the two they got busted, just saying). And the Packers did pick up Don Barclay as an UDFA so maybe that all worked out.

Also as talked about... comp picks are based on net FA... so if you lose someone to a $6 million a year deal, and sign an outside FA to a $3 million per year deal... I guess the net would be $3 million... of course add in the other factors as well, which is how Jeff Saturday took out Scott Wells comp pick... I thought it would just lower it... but not take it out. But with Wells getting injured and only playing 7 games and Saturday making the probowl, they leveled each other out.

In other words:Hope Williams and House get all the other factors as well! Hope they get lots of playing time and maybe even postseason honors... (Packers vote them to the probowl so they Packers might get a higher comp pick 👍

Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor.

wikipedia  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
From another thread, reposting it here:computer:

Projecting the Compensatory Draft Picks for 2015 

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

It'd be nice if we could scoop up a 7th rounder like it has projected there since it seems like Ted Thompson has used 7th rounders in recent years to get exclusive rights to priority UDFAs and long term projects.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
sschind
9 years ago

Not that I know of... the highest is 3rd round, which it takes a lot to get a 3rd round, I think it's over $8 million per year... so there normally isn't a ton of them. But 4th round and the rest can go up and down... for example in 2010 draft, ONE 4th round comp picks. In 2012 draft there are EIGHT 4th round comp picks.

But comp picks are limited to 4 per year for a single team... so if a team loses 5 players to big / good size money deals, the best they can get is 4 comp picks. Which I think in 2012 some complained about because the Packers could of possible got 5 comp picks if not for that rules (3 of the five would of been 7th round picks and the two they got busted, just saying). And the Packers did pick up Don Barclay as an UDFA so maybe that all worked out.

Also as talked about... comp picks are based on net FA... so if you lose someone to a $6 million a year deal, and sign an outside FA to a $3 million per year deal... I guess the net would be $3 million... of course add in the other factors as well, which is how Jeff Saturday took out Scott Wells comp pick... I thought it would just lower it... but not take it out. But with Wells getting injured and only playing 7 games and Saturday making the probowl, they leveled each other out.

In other words:Hope Williams and House get all the other factors as well! Hope they get lots of playing time and maybe even postseason honors... (Packers vote them to the probowl so they Packers might get a higher comp pick 👍

Thanks for the details Beast.

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (1h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (8h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (8h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (8h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (11h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.