DoddPower
9 years ago

I don't think that is why he didn't sign suh.

But I do think those draft picks enter in to his decision to pursue a UFA or not. "Would I trade a (3rd,4th,5th) round draft pick for this guy?" Because that's what you would be doing.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

I agree. Of course it enters his mind. He could be missing out on the next Josh Sitton or Mike Daniels for some average washed up overpriced stop-gap player.
Smokey
9 years ago
Would someone please list fully all Draft and Compensatory picks for 2015 .

Some of us are just better at research than others .

Go Pack Go !
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

I don't think that is why he didn't sign suh.

But I do think those draft picks enter in to his decision to pursue a UFA or not. "Would I trade a (3rd,4th,5th) round draft pick for this guy?" Because that's what you would be doing.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

I agree. Of course it enters his mind. He could be missing out on the next Josh Sitton or Mike Daniels for some average washed up overpriced stop-gap player.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I also agree... as said above, the Packers basically lost a comp draft pick (for Scott Wells) by signing Jeff Saturday... and I think that pick would of been a 4th round pick (just guessing). Which the Packers got DB Hyde, DT Boyd and ILB Barrington after that so they might of picked up someone decent (or could of been a bust players).

And the Bears got a decent starting RT in Jordan Mills (who I think is Tramon Williams cousin) after Hyde and the Raiders grabbed a TE I liked and has done pretty well in the passing game in Mychal Rivera in the 6th round, so even if it was a 5th comp pick could of possibly gotten a good player.

So I think it does need to be factored in when you think you're going to get a high comp picks, but also factor in how long the FA you're bring in might last and how well they might play.

UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Would someone please list fully all Draft and Compensatory picks for 2015 .

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I don't believe they've been released yet, but should be coming in the next week, I think, as the NFL normally releases them during or shortly after the NFL Owners late March meetings (March 22-25: Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona. )

I believe the Packers should be getting two 6th round comp picks, one for C Evan Dietrich-Smith and one for WR James Jones. And possible a 7th round comp pick for OL Marshall Newhouse if he got enough to meet the minimum for a 7th round pick.

I don't know if this is correct or not, but some people have suggested the NFL sometimes combines lower guys who might not get a comp pick on their own to others, which might help the Packers as Newhouse might not get a comp pick, and DE CJ Wilson is unlikely to get one of his own. So if correct, they might combine to get a 7th or might be able to move one of the others up to a 5th... though I'm thinking the 7th is more likely, IF they do really combine them.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago
He signed Jeff Saturday because he thought he could help the team. If all he was concerned about the comp pick he wouldn't have signed him. Ted isn't going to sign some some average washed up overpriced stop-gap player whether comp picks are involved or not so that is not really a factor. If Ted is looking at a guy that he thinks will help the team he will sign him regardless of the comp pick involved. If he doesn't think he will help the team he will not sign him. He won't sign him because he won't help the team not because it will cost him a comp pick.

Teds Job is to find players that will help the team win. I don't care if it is through free agency or through regular draft picks or comp picks or un-drafted free agents. I would be a little disappointed if he was looking at a FA that he thought could help the team but didn't sign him because it would cost him a 5th round comp pick. A GM should first and foremost be asking himself "will this guy help my team" and not "would I trade this guy for a 5th round comp pick"

The comp picks are just as big a crap shoot as the free agents because there seems to be no set formula. A guy you lose this year might get you a 6th rounder but the same guy lasts year got his team a 4th rounder. It depends on the number and quality of free agents that move in a given year and how big the deals are. I think they only award so many comp picks league wide so just because you lose a player doesn't mean you will get the pick.

I'm not saying it doesn't factor in I just don't think its as big a deal as some people make it out to be.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
x
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
9 years ago

The comp picks are just as big a crap shoot as the free agents because there seems to be no set formula. A guy you lose this year might get you a 6th rounder but the same guy lasts year got his team a 4th rounder.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I think you're very mistaken here. To me there seems to be a clear set formula for the NFL that they use year in and year out (that they won't release to the public), that's largely based on average dollar amount per year of the new contract equally to a certain percentage of the NFL set cap limit. I believe it was correctly guess about the Packers getting a 3rd and 5th round comp picks last year based on Jennings' (9 million per year) and Walden's (4 million per year deal). Now those aren't the only factors... which makes it harder especially when there is an extreme in one of the other factors.

Now the cap has gone up and with Dietrich-Smith's $3.56+ per year deal and Jones' 3.33+ deal, I don't think they'll be 5th round picks like Walden was, but it all depends on where that threshold in the formula is really.

Compensatory picks... picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor.

wikipedia  wrote:

Very true... they only give out 32 picks (so basically it's really 8 rounds of drafting).

But the top 32 net FA transactions to get a comp pick if they meet a minimum requirement (which again isn't released) but they have the last two years. My guess is that Newhouse and C.J. Wilson aren't going to meet the minimum.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago

x

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I totally agree Tex !

:cherry:
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
The only thing I know for sure about comp picks is that they cannot be traded.

What they do is gives a GM an option of trading.

Lets say The Packers do get 2 6th RND picks.

Ted has is eye on a guy who is not going to drop to the bottom of the 5th RND.

He could bundle his 5th, 6th, and 7th picks to move up in the 5th to grab the guy knowing he still had his 2 comp picks to use at the end of The 6th RND.

That flexibility is one advantage I can see.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Smokey
9 years ago
I have learned to never count on the money until it is safely in the bank. I will continue to be concerned about the ILB, NT, and CB positions even after the draft takes place. Afterall Rookies are not the same as proven quality players. I hope for the best, as we all do, yet it still don't count until they prove themselves and are bankable. :computer:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (16h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (16h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (19h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (20h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (23h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
54m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.