Smokey
9 years ago
Returning to GB Packers Talk !

:angel11:
UserPostedImage
greengold
9 years ago

He signed Jeff Saturday because he thought he could help the team. If all he was concerned about the comp pick he wouldn't have signed him.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I believe Saturday was signed with the expectation that he could help the team and with the expectation that it would cost a 4th or 5th round draft pick.

It just turned out to be a miscalculation of how much Saturday had left in the tank.

Smokey
9 years ago
What Draft and Compensatory picks do the Packers currently own ?

Where are the stat hogs when you need them ?

:angel11:
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

What Draft and Compensatory picks do the Packers currently own ?

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I believe the Packers have the 30th pick in each round and I already answered you about the Comp picks when you asked the first time....

I don't believe they've been released yet, but should be coming in the next week, I think, as the NFL normally releases them during or shortly after the NFL Owners late March meetings (March 22-25: Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona. )

I believe the Packers should be getting two 6th round comp picks, one for C Evan Dietrich-Smith and one for WR James Jones. And possible a 7th round comp pick for OL Marshall Newhouse if he got enough to meet the minimum for a 7th round pick.

Originally Posted by: beast 

UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago
Thanks Beast, thought maybe other members may have had more info.

:8:
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Thanks Beast, thought maybe other members may have had more info.

:8:

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Very true... other members could, in theory, have access inside the NFL and could already know what the comp picks will be months in advance. Or could make up some stuff... :magnifygl

There should be official info coming out within the week (I think) and another member will probably post it before I do.

But my wild guess is that the Packers picks will look something like this
#209 (comp 6th pick)
#210 (comp 6th pick)

With a possible comp 7th pick as a possible.

Others are free to guess what the pre-draft picks will be.

UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

I think you're very mistaken here. To me there seems to be a clear set formula for the NFL that they use year in and year out (that they won't release to the public), that's largely based on average dollar amount per year of the new contract equally to a certain percentage of the NFL set cap limit. I believe it was correctly guess about the Packers getting a 3rd and 5th round comp picks last year based on Jennings' (9 million per year) and Walden's (4 million per year deal). Now those aren't the only factors... which makes it harder especially when there is an extreme in one of the other factors.

Now the cap has gone up and with Dietrich-Smith's $3.56+ per year deal and Jones' 3.33+ deal, I don't think they'll be 5th round picks like Walden was, but it all depends on where that threshold in the formula is really.

Very true... they only give out 32 picks (so basically it's really 8 rounds of drafting).

But the top 32 net FA transactions to get a comp pick if they meet a minimum requirement (which again isn't released) but they have the last two years. My guess is that Newhouse and C.J. Wilson aren't going to meet the minimum.

You are right, there is a formula. With the 32 picks though it is no guarantee that you will get a comp pick for your guy especially if he is on the lower end. Do you know if the picks by round are limited in any way? Only so many after each round for example or if 32 guys would all sign deals that qualified them for the highest round pick would they all get it or would the lower end ones get bumped down or would there just be no lower round picks?
beast
9 years ago

Do you know if the picks by round are limited in any way?

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Not that I know of... the highest is 3rd round, which it takes a lot to get a 3rd round, I think it's over $8 million per year... so there normally isn't a ton of them. But 4th round and the rest can go up and down... for example in 2010 draft, ONE 4th round comp picks. In 2012 draft there are EIGHT 4th round comp picks.

But comp picks are limited to 4 per year for a single team... so if a team loses 5 players to big / good size money deals, the best they can get is 4 comp picks. Which I think in 2012 some complained about because the Packers could of possible got 5 comp picks if not for that rules (3 of the five would of been 7th round picks and the two they got busted, just saying). And the Packers did pick up Don Barclay as an UDFA so maybe that all worked out.

Also as talked about... comp picks are based on net FA... so if you lose someone to a $6 million a year deal, and sign an outside FA to a $3 million per year deal... I guess the net would be $3 million... of course add in the other factors as well, which is how Jeff Saturday took out Scott Wells comp pick... I thought it would just lower it... but not take it out. But with Wells getting injured and only playing 7 games and Saturday making the probowl, they leveled each other out.

In other words:Hope Williams and House get all the other factors as well! Hope they get lots of playing time and maybe even postseason honors... (Packers vote them to the probowl so they Packers might get a higher comp pick 👍

Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor.

wikipedia  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
From another thread, reposting it here:computer:

Projecting the Compensatory Draft Picks for 2015 

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

It'd be nice if we could scoop up a 7th rounder like it has projected there since it seems like Ted Thompson has used 7th rounders in recent years to get exclusive rights to priority UDFAs and long term projects.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
sschind
9 years ago

Not that I know of... the highest is 3rd round, which it takes a lot to get a 3rd round, I think it's over $8 million per year... so there normally isn't a ton of them. But 4th round and the rest can go up and down... for example in 2010 draft, ONE 4th round comp picks. In 2012 draft there are EIGHT 4th round comp picks.

But comp picks are limited to 4 per year for a single team... so if a team loses 5 players to big / good size money deals, the best they can get is 4 comp picks. Which I think in 2012 some complained about because the Packers could of possible got 5 comp picks if not for that rules (3 of the five would of been 7th round picks and the two they got busted, just saying). And the Packers did pick up Don Barclay as an UDFA so maybe that all worked out.

Also as talked about... comp picks are based on net FA... so if you lose someone to a $6 million a year deal, and sign an outside FA to a $3 million per year deal... I guess the net would be $3 million... of course add in the other factors as well, which is how Jeff Saturday took out Scott Wells comp pick... I thought it would just lower it... but not take it out. But with Wells getting injured and only playing 7 games and Saturday making the probowl, they leveled each other out.

In other words:Hope Williams and House get all the other factors as well! Hope they get lots of playing time and maybe even postseason honors... (Packers vote them to the probowl so they Packers might get a higher comp pick 👍

Thanks for the details Beast.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.