dhazer
9 years ago

So you would rather we still had Hawk and Jones and you would rather have Williams and House with the contracts they signed and you think we should give Raji and Guion whatever they are asking?

You can actually break that down into the individual players if you don't want to answer the blanket statement.

Would you rather we still had Hawk and his contract.
Would you rather we still had Jones and his contract.
Would you rather we still had Williams for the money he got paid.
Would you rather we still had House for the money he got paid.
Would you give Raji whatever he was asking?
Would you give Guion whatever he was asking?

If we had all this we would have the exact same team we had last year and everybody would be happy right. Probably not because they would be bitching that we still had Hawk and Jones. They would be complaining that we paid too much for Williams and House and they would be whining about Raji being fat and lazy and Guion going to be suspended.

You can't replace guys like Hawk and Jones if you don't let them go and you can't afford to sign everyone for the the amount of money they want.

If your frustration is that Ted hasn't signed anyone to replace these guys then fine I get that but don't complain about losing guys that most people are either happy to see gone ( Hawk and Jones) or are fine with it because they were too expensive (William and House) and don't complain about losing guys who we haven't lost yet (Raji and Guion)

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Would you rather we still had Hawk and his contract. NO DRAFT WITH A TOP 2 PICK
Would you rather we still had Jones and his contract.NO SEE REASON ABOVE
Would you rather we still had Williams for the money he got paid. YES BECAUSE HE IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING WE HAVE AND WE HAVE CAP ROOM.
Would you rather we still had House for the money he got paid. NO NEVER LIKED HIM
Would you give Raji whatever he was asking? HAHAHAHA RAJI IS A JOKE
Would you give Guion whatever he was asking? WOULD LIKE HIM BACK

The problem I have with Ted Thompson is he starts believing his own hype. This defense started to gel late last year and now there will be no continuity. But Ted Thompson believes his hype and thinks everyone he drafted is the best fit.

You say a healthy Rodgers makes this a better team than last year? Is he going to play LB or CB or NT? We will have a 30th ranked or lower defense and all the blame will be put on Capers even though he can't run most of his stuff because of inexperience.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

The problem I have with Ted Thompson is he starts believing his own hype.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Okay, I get you like going against the grain and being the contrarian and all that, but when you say things like this, it just makes you look absolutely bonkers crazy.

Thompson has shown to those who follow along that he is one of the last people to worry about regarding ego.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
9 years ago
I don't believe Ted believes in his own hype at all. I do think he believes in the system that is in place and sticks with it regardless of the opinions of others and especially the fans.
You either have a philosophy and a system or you don't. The problem most teams have is that they don't really adhere to a plan and end up chasing their tale. As far as Tramon goes Ted just will not bite on older players looking to cash in on that last big deal. For the most part looking back on other players like this it proved to be the right thing to do.

The facts are that there are teams out there that are willing to overpay players when they have the money. GB ain't one of them and I'm glad about that because those teams are trying to get to a level where the Packers are but never seem to get there.

Actually, Dhazer, if you want Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson fired you should hope they ditch how they do business and go about it like other teams. The Bears for example. They go out and pick up three or four FA's every year, think they are all that and now better than us and will win the division and the SB.

Within a couple years their GM and HC are gone. Just like MANY teams that don't have or stick to a plan.

They have a couple positions to fill. Big deal. They also have the best offense in the NFL returning intact and I see no reason to push any panic buttons.
"The train is leaving the station."
beast
9 years ago

The problem I have with Ted Thompson is he starts believing his own hype.

Okay, I get you like going against the grain and being the contrarian and all that, but when you say things like this, it just makes you look absolutely bonkers crazy.

Thompson has shown to those who follow along that he is one of the last people to worry about regarding ego.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Completely agree... when you look around the league Thompson and Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome seem to be two of the guys that buy into hype the least. So to suggest Thompson is buying into ANY hype is strongly questionable... to suggest he's buying into his own hype seems even more so as he honestly seems to be down to earth, media leave me alone already type of guy...

This defense started to gel late last year and now there will be no continuity. But Ted Thompson believes his hype and thinks everyone he drafted is the best fit.

Sounds like you're suggesting Thompson is trying to mastermind everything... my guess would be in reality he's just taking things one step at a time. Chip Kelly seems to be masterminding it... changing everything.

The fact is change happens... you got to live with it. The Packers didn't believe the CBs or ILBers were best for the Packers going forward... it seemed like almost everyone agreed ILB was a huge problem area last year. And the Packers seemed to want Tramon, just not at that price tag.

Last year the Packers lost players and keep continuity ... this year the Packers lost players... and they'll most likely keep continuity... at least if they get some decent players filled into the holes.

~ They got Hayward and Hyde to complete for Williams spot... probably will draft a guy to fill House's spot.

~ ILB they'll probably draft guys.

~ NT... they'll probably resign Raji and/or Guion and there are a number of young DT that could potentially grow including NT Pennel who everyone was super high on last year as an UDFA back-up.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
9 years ago
I guess a better way for me to put it with Ted Thompson is he believes so much in his ideas he won't stray from them. I can't believe anyone right now could think we are Super Bowl contenders. People bring up the likes of the Bears and how they do things and i will throw it right back at you. In uncle Teddys tenure the Packers have reached just one Super Bowl which they won but the Bears also made it to the Super Bowl and happen to lose. Look at the Giants they are always moving Free agents around and they have 2 titles or better yet look at Billacheat, he signs the bad players and he just won a Super Bowl.

So i think you need a little of both to win.

I look at the schedule and it don't look good for us, we play alot of very good defenses which means we might not score very much but our defense will give up points.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

I guess a better way for me to put it with Ted Thompson is he believes so much in his ideas he won't stray from them.

Yup that would be a much much better way to put that.

he believes so much in his ideas he won't stray from them.

Ummm ... but can't you say that about EVERYONE!!! ... especially when the ideas have lead to overall success (in the minds of most).

We agree... Packers have signed FAs like Peppers, Nelson, Cobb, and Bulaga just to name a few ... and also have added guys thought the draft like Lacy, Bakhtiari, Clinton-Dix and TE Rodgers.

Also there have been reports that the Packers have been in contact with agents for guys like Revis and Wilfork... but the Packers reportedly weren't in the top money offers. Which Ravens long term GM Ozzie Newsome talked about earlier this season that teams can't compete when they pay guys top dollar.

So the Packers seem to be trying a little of both. Just not having enough success signing outside FAs for you to be happy with it.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Wait a tick here. So Ted Thompson has confidence in his methods and we should fault him for that? What a terrible General Manager! Maybe we would be happier with a General Manager who lures near 30 year old players with massive contracts that handcuff the franchise forcing the next GM to cut said signed player and eat MILLIONS of dead weight.

Seriously, we are spoiled fans, so damn spoiled.

Ron Wolf, Brett Favre, Mike Holmgren.

Ted Thompson, Aaron Rodgers, Mike McCarthy.

I mean, really, look around the NFL and tell me who has had a better last couple decades and a more promising future than the Green Bay Packers? We lost role players that could be replaced. We kept the main pieces in tact. Aaron Rodgers is going to start the season healthy. The rookie class got another year under its belt. Richard Rodgers started showing some good improvement.

We should be excited about the 2015 season and enjoy this Super Bowl run which will end with a VICTORY!
UserPostedImage
warhawk
9 years ago

I guess a better way for me to put it with Ted Thompson is he believes so much in his ideas he won't stray from them. I can't believe anyone right now could think we are Super Bowl contenders. People bring up the likes of the Bears and how they do things and i will throw it right back at you. In uncle Teddys tenure the Packers have reached just one Super Bowl which they won but the Bears also made it to the Super Bowl and happen to lose. Look at the Giants they are always moving Free agents around and they have 2 titles or better yet look at Billacheat, he signs the bad players and he just won a Super Bowl.

I look at the schedule and it don't look good for us, we play alot of very good defenses which means we might not score very much but our defense will give up points.

Look at what you are saying. The Bears and Giants are FAR from SB contending teams TODAY and that just reinforces my point that most teams don't sustain any form of success because they won't commit to a plan that is sustainable to begin wih. Yes, NE won the SB. I remember beating them pretty good and didn't they just lose the best CB tandem in football along with Wilfolk?

So we lost Tramon Williams. Woof. Compared to Browner/Revis/Wilfolk doesn't that kind of look like a walk in the park? If we are all pissed off they must be jumping off buildings out there.

What I'm saying is all teams have issues but when we lose a player or two that always happens to every team for some reason we are just no longer contenders and those in charge suck.

We have a few holes to fill. Fortunately, they don't play Sunday. There's not a game that counts until September. I know how Ted goes about this drives some people around here nuts but I'm not buying into the thought that this team won't be ready to line up against anybody this fall that they can't beat.

"The train is leaving the station."
beast
9 years ago

So we lost Tramon Williams. Woof. Compared to Browner/Revis/Wilfolk doesn't that kind of look like a walk in the park? If we are all pissed off they must be jumping off buildings out there.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

No, no, no... you don't understand... we didn't lose just Tramon Williams... we lost Tramon Williams, AJ Hawk, Brad Jones, Davon House, Jarrett Boykin OR DuJuan Harris... do you not understand the importance of all these players? These 6 players represent SO SO MUCH!!!

Without Williams who will be out veteran CB?

Without Hawk which 1st round pick will we all get to complain about is still on the roster?

Without Jones which player will be athletic enough to have potential but get yellow flags throw at him time and time again on defense?

Without House who we all cheer for because he's the tallest/faster at his position but not talented enough to start?

Without Boykins who'll be the short pass guy that play shake and bake with defenders?

With out Harris, who will we randomly compare to sproles even thought they barely have anything in common other than maybe their shortness?

These were and ARE important positions that we need to fix, RIGHT NOW!

Shields will be the vet CB without Williams but he's not old enough like the past vets of Williams, Woodson and Harris so not a replacement for Williams!

Perry is too fast and flashy to complain about even though he's the 4th OLB ... so NOT a replacement for Hawk!

Without Jones which player will be athletic enough to have potential but get yellow flags throw at him time and time again on defense? ... Thompson is clearly trying to cut down on the CB depth to try to make up for his mistake of letting Jones go, by trying to get Jarrett Bush back on the field for the defense to make up for the yellow flags lost by cutting Jones.

Though I will give Thompson credit for finding guys to replace some of them such as

~ House as the tallest/faster at his position, because Thompson draft Janis solely for that reason, good planning Thompson!

~ Boykins as the short pass guy that play shake and bake with defenders will be replaced by Abbrederis or Janis

~ Harris, the guy we will compare to Sproles SHOULD BE Cobb... as they have a lot more in common than Harris has with either of them, other than the shortness, size and position, but Harris has a completely different playing style maybe not as talented as the other two.

See so the Packers have lost 6!!! count'em 6 important guys... to the Patriots 3 and that's why we should all be freaking out right now...

:magnifygl :signjk: :clown: :geek: :reindeer: :tongue: :thumbleft ::wink: :sign5: 😁 😝 😂 👍 :mrgreen:
*note sarcasm was used*
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Would you rather we still had Hawk and his contract. NO DRAFT WITH A TOP 2 PICK
Would you rather we still had Jones and his contract.NO SEE REASON ABOVE
Would you rather we still had Williams for the money he got paid. YES BECAUSE HE IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING WE HAVE AND WE HAVE CAP ROOM.
Would you rather we still had House for the money he got paid. NO NEVER LIKED HIM
Would you give Raji whatever he was asking? HAHAHAHA RAJI IS A JOKE
Would you give Guion whatever he was asking? WOULD LIKE HIM BACK

The problem I have with Ted Thompson is he starts believing his own hype. This defense started to gel late last year and now there will be no continuity. But Ted Thompson believes his hype and thinks everyone he drafted is the best fit.

You say a healthy Rodgers makes this a better team than last year? Is he going to play LB or CB or NT? We will have a 30th ranked or lower defense and all the blame will be put on Capers even though he can't run most of his stuff because of inexperience.

So you are going to lambaste Ted for letting go of Hawk and Jones and House and Raji( assuming he goes) and yet you didn't want any of them on the team anyway. You are not the only one to say something like this. I've read plenty of posts (here and elsewhere) criticizing Ted for "blowing up" the defense but they then turn around and say the same thing as you do Hawk, House, Jones, Raji...Good riddence. I don't get it.

Thanks for answering the questions honestly though. It helps break things down and to be honest I agree with your assessment of those 6 players with the possible exception of Raji. (for the right price I'd be fine bringing him back)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.