porky88
9 years ago

Interesting if they'd want Welker over Jennings.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I thought that was interesting, as well. Maybe Jennings burnt one too many bridges. I think the Packers see Davante Adams as needing another year before he reaches James Jones level of production for them. That might be why they want a veteran to come in. It makes sense. Plus, a lineup of Adams and Nelson on the outside with Cobb and Welker on the inside would make up for not having a stud tight end.

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
I'd rather get Bowe over either Jennings or Welker. Him and Jordy together could really open the field up for Cobb and our TEs.

Than put our young WR as 4th and 5th on the depth and let them work and develop and earn more snaps. I don't like giving the 3rd spot to players who really haven't earned their spots. We have a history of young WR being put deep on the depth chart and working their way up. Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Driver and so on.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
9 years ago

I thought that was interesting, as well. Maybe Jennings burnt one too many bridges. I think the Packers see Davante Adams as needing another year before he reaches James Jones level of production for them. That might be why they want a veteran to come in. It makes sense. Plus, a lineup of Adams and Nelson on the outside with Cobb and Welker on the inside would make up for not having a stud tight end.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Good post, you touched on a lot I wanted to mention.

To me it's pretty clear GJ just pissed off a few too many people. He and his sister came off as whinny brats and I wouldn't doubt it was similar behind the scenes.

Adams could use another year, Janis is raw, and Abby is coming off an injury. Could they all step up by next year, of course, but it wouldn't kill them or the organization to have an affordable insurance policy as they still develop. The Packers were very fortunate to have good health at all key offensive positions last year.

texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
All the positions Thompson has avoided like the plague signing free agents, I will be thoroughly pissed if he chooses to sign a FA wideout. I want to see a healthy dose of Janis, and hopefully some good use of Abbrederis too. No way in hell we need either Welker or Jennings.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

All the positions Thompson has avoided like the plague signing free agents, I will be thoroughly pissed if he chooses to sign a FA wideout. I want to see a healthy dose of Janis, and hopefully some good use of Abbrederis too. No way in hell we need either Welker or Jennings.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I don't think Ted has been avoiding WR free agents as much as he has not needed to look because the team has been sitting 4 deep with #2 or better quality options. Well, that isn't the case anymore. We are one WR injury away. I'd much rather go into the season with Adams as the #4 with Janis and Abberderis 5th and 6th. It would give some room in case of injury. And if any of the young WR are as good as we hope they are, they will earn their playing time the way Nelson and Cobb did as they came up.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
greengold
9 years ago
5 WR slots. Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Abbrederis, Janis. Maybe 6 slots if you draft a guy like they usually do.

Where is there room for a veteran free agent? You want to cut Abbrederis or Janis?

sschind
9 years ago

Is anyone else worried what the fact Ted is looking for a FA WR might mean? Sure we let Boykin go, but you would assume the plan of having Abby and Janis fill his slot was the rationale behind it.

Just seems to be crowding at the WR position if Welker comes in.

We'd have the whitest WR group since the colour barrier got lifted in Football.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I'm not worried at all. In fact I would be worried if Ted wasn't looking at a FA WR (or considering one in the draft) Because I have faith that Adams will develop into a very good receiver I would consider our WR corps to be 3 deep and no more. I haven't seen anything yet from Janis or Abbredaris that would indicate to me that they can play at this level. If they were on any other team besides the Packers th majority of us would be saying who is Jeff Janis who and the only the Badger fans would know who Abbredaris is. We would certainly be laughing our behinds off at any fan placing high hopes on either of them contributing in anything more than a minor way this year. Because they are Packers though we think they are golden.

One guy I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on is Denarius Moore from the Raiders. He fell off last year but his first three seasons looked pretty good being that he was on the Raiders. He is scheduled to visit the Jets on Thursday so I'm guessing he will be off the market by Friday though. He might earn a bit more than we would be willing to pay however simply because he is young.
warhawk
9 years ago
If there is any truth to this I would say it's hedging on the side of caution insuring against injury. I don't think the Packers have any doubts about Adam's and look to him to have a very good 2015.

Looking at the WR group, however, after the top 3 there is really no one there with proven skills. The WR group is like the OL in a way in that an injury to one effects the rest. So if you play the "what if" game should Nelson, Cobb, or Adams go down for a couple of games they are looking at Abby or Janis to fill in and the question is "what if" neither are really ready? They can't really know at this point because neither got enough PT to go by. If they are not ready and can be shut down pretty good it makes life so much easier guarding the other two.

So that concern can be hedged by adding a proven vet. After all, the passing game of this team is it's #1 strength so putting in an extra apple in that basket isn't the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

"The train is leaving the station."
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

If there is any truth to this I would say it's hedging on the side of caution insuring against injury. I don't think the Packers have any doubts about Adam's and look to him to have a very good 2015.

Looking at the WR group, however, after the top 3 there is really no one there with proven skills. The WR group is like the OL in a way in that an injury to one effects the rest. So if you play the "what if" game should Nelson, Cobb, or Adams go down for a couple of games they are looking at Abby or Janis to fill in and the question is "what if" neither are really ready? They can't really know at this point because neither got enough PT to go by. If they are not ready and can be shut down pretty good it makes life so much easier guarding the other two.

So that concern can be hedged by adding a proven vet. After all, the passing game of this team is it's #1 strength so putting in an extra apple in that basket isn't the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

The confusing part being we didn't sign a FA WR last year under the same circumstance. In fact they were even worse with 3 rookies and Boykin who showed far less than Adams did this season.

Still don't mind the idea of drafting the right WR at the right place in the draft. I want Tyler Lockett hopefully in the 4th round. I think he is talented enough to give us a guy who can contribute as a rookie.
DoddPower
9 years ago
No thanks on Wes Welker. Gross. I'd much rather the Packers roll with what they have. I'm sure they will add at least one receiver from this deep WR draft class, and it could be an early day pick. Let the young guys with talent develop. If they are going to sign a savy veteran pass catcher, sign a tight end. But I think the Packers offense will be just fine after adding additional depth in the draft.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (14h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (14h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (15h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.