DoddPower
8 years ago
I think Barrington is a decent player, but I don't think he's "the answer" at inside linebacker. He's serviceable, but he's going to need someone like Clay Mathews beside of him because I think he can be exposed by most good teams. At this point, Barrington is serviceable-to-average, at best, imo. He obviously can improve, though.
uffda udfa
8 years ago
I can conversely say... I never watched Barrington and thought... boy, he's fast.

Desmond Bishop was the same way... A 4.8+ if memory serves. He wasn't quick...nor was he painfully noticeably slow.

However, there will be those plays, often important, where that will show up that not having enough speed. I do think playing at Lambeau in the cold on a slow surface is great for him. He's not so great in a dome where his speed deficiency will show up more.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

Thank you...thank you....thank you. FINALLY. Someone finally admits that 4.91 is just awful for a LB. It is truly amazing it took this deep into this to get someone to do that. I have no issue with the other stuff you typed and I have said I really like Sam as a player. I just wish he was quicker and compared him to Bishop who also lacked in that area but still was a fine player.

The only thing that would make me happier is to see Buck admit that 4.91 is awful, but I know he could never do such a thing.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I do believe I said Ted was able to draft Sam in the 7th round because of the numbers he put up.
I also said if Sam keeps improving he will go down as a steal.

BECAUSE 40 TIME HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PLAYING ILB!!!

You were asked some. Very direct questions from Barfarn.

I want to hear your answers.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I can conversely say... I never watched Barrington and thought... boy, he's fast.

I'm not sure if I have ever thought "boy, he's fast" when watching any linebacker.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
8 years ago
In my opinion, and that of many others, the Packers need LB's and CB's.
Sam Barrington has had his chance, the Packers need to just move on. Use Barringon for Special Teams.

UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
8 years ago

Ha! Not a bad shot. badump bump.

Still, it baffles me how hard everyone seems to be trying to validate Sam based on his number at the combine. His number is his number. NOTHING invalidates that he ran 4.91 at the combine. NOTHING.

Is he really faster than that? I sure hope so. Clay ran 4.67 at the combine and a remarkable 6.90 3 cone.

Pro day results are like Beta vs. VHS. Pro day results are not as valued as electronically timed combine times. Guys are hand timed at pro days. The variations can be ridiculous. That is why what happens at the combine is so important. If it wasn't, why do they hold it at all and why do guys train like maniacs to put their best foot forward? If combine wasn't everything to these guys they could just opt out for their own pro day. They don't do that because they know the true measure is at the combine where the pro day has inflated numbers. You also want to see how a kid is going to perform away from his home element like he most likely will be during his NFL career.

Sam ran horrifically at the combine and I wish he was faster. Wow, how terrible of me to wish we had more speed from that position.

You seem to be conveniently leaving out the part where you called Barrington unathletic based solely on his 40 time. Going by your logic, Hawk was more athletic than Matthews.

No one is arguing that 4.91 is a bad time. Everyone just has an issue with how ignorant it is for you to base a player's athleticism on nothing but a 40 time.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

You seem to be conveniently leaving out the part where you called Barrington unathletic based solely on his 40 time. Going by your logic, Hawk was more athletic than Matthews.

No one is arguing that 4.91 is a bad time. Everyone just has an issue with how ignorant it is for you to base a player's athleticism on nothing but a 40 time.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Speed IS a MAJOR factor in an NFL player's athleticism. The stopwatch makes guys MILLIONS and loses them, also. Look at Chris Borland. No doubt in the world he's a top 10 1st rounder IF he's faster...he wasn't.

For you to be so sarcastically dismissive of the role of the 40 is curious. It does determine so much. Men who are paid millions use those times as a guide on who to draft and where. That is what is bizarre... to dismiss the role of speed in the NFL.

A guy who can jump high and long and lift 225 a bunch of reps ain't making much money if he's slow unless he's a lineman and even there speed is an asset and factors into drafting.

If Sam Barrington can't cover due to not being fast enough what is going to be said of him? It will be said he is not ATHLETIC enough to hang with TE's and RB's. Of course, almost every LB is not going to be able to hang with a RB.

You brought up Hawk...why was he a 5th overall pick? His 40 time. Why was Aaron Curry a Top 5 pick? 40 time. BTW, imagine Seattle's D if he'd actually been anywhere near his hype.

40 matters and matters a lot and does determine how athletic a player is viewed.

BTW: I lamented Sam having the same limits as Bishop's poor athleticism. Why did I say that about Bishop? Bishop timed very poorly at the combine, too. I just want him to be faster. Wow...so wrong. Again, I have never watched Sam and thought...man, he looks fast. I have thought he looked faster than 4.91 and that's a good thing.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

In my opinion, and that of many others, the Packers need LB's and CB's.
Sam Barrington has had his chance, the Packers need to just move on. Use Barringon for Special Teams.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I hope you are just joking with this statement.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.