buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Green Bay - There's no guarantee that B.J. Raji's surgically repaired arm will hold up or Letroy Guion's personal life won't guide him off the tracks, but DE Mike Daniels was happy to see the two big men back in the Packers locker room on the first day of off-season conditioning.

JSOnline Blog  wrote:

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Barfarn
9 years ago
One year ago our DL looked like a substantial weakness; w/ little depth. This year our DL is established and deep, our BU DL [Boyd, Pennell, Guion] is respectable and could keep us in games if disaster hits.

2014 Snaps:
M.Daniels 794 63.9%
L.Guion 633 50.9%
J.Boyd 421 33.8%
D.Jones 385 30.9%
M.Pennel 181 14.6%
L.Robinson 66 5.9%
B.Gaston 0 0.0%
Raji 0 0.0%
Thronton 0 0.0%

BASE D STARTERS:
Jones: 25 tackles, 6 missed tackles, 2 TFL, 2 sacks, 17 quarterback hurries, 1 interception, 0 forced fumbles, 2 passes defended, 10 stops . Datone took the leap from pretty bad to solidly average in 2014. Per snap his 2014 stats compare to Daniels’ stats; but, DJ doesn’t get as much attention from the O. Ankle injuries hampered his 1st and early 2nd year, but Datone played especially well at end of the year and if DJ takes a comparable leap from yrs 2-3, he’ll be in the top ¼ of DEs in the league. In Base DE v. Dallas he abused Martin for much of the day as well as getting a pressure, half sack and recovered a fumble. In Seattle, when Pack played their base D, he platooned w/ Boyd and half of DJ’s snaps came from playing RorL-DT in the Packers 4-1-6 or 4-2-5 4-man pass rush group on 2nd and 3rd and long that usually consisted from left to right of Neal, peppers, DJ and CM3. This foursome not only did a fantastic job of hounding Wilson; but did a fabulous job of contain as well. In champ game DJ got on QB hit at 7:46 1st Q; did a swim move past Carpenter and was about to hit Lynch for 3 yrd loss and Sweeney flew from opposite side to hit Jones giving Lynch just enough time to cut left [amazing block] at 6:10 2Q DJ playing LDT in 2-4-5 chased Lockette down from across the field on an end around near right sideline. :35 2Q from LDE in 4 man rush, he steps back into zone to cover Lynch, as soon as he passes Lynch to Barrington, he maintained outside contain on a Wilson’s scramble/run and closed nicely to assure the tackle is made. 8:22 4th Q 3rd and 6, Seattle in 4 WR; Jones LDT in 4-1-6 reads draw, sheds man beautifully to wrap- up Lynch at LOS, but Lynch breaks tackle and goes for 11. At 7:07 4Q, Seattle in 3x1, Jones LDT in 4-1-6, stunts w/ peppers and pops Wilson just as he releases high pass.

Daniels: 47 tackles, 8 missed tackles, 3 TFL, 6 sacks, 26 hurries, 11 QB hits, 0 INTs, 0 FF, 0 passes defended, 36 stops . From 2013 to 14, MD took the leap from being mostly a solid pass rusher to a complete all around 3-4 DE and DT in 2-4-5. In 2015 he’s simply going to be a star. He’s a core player and leader and I expect his extension to be done about game 4. He’s the one guy we cant lose to injury. At times he’s overly aggressive in his run assignments penetrating too much and/or in the wrong hole leaving a gaping running lane. As he continues to gain experience and continues to develop a feel for what is happening by the way the OLmen are moving; these over-aggressions will decrease.

Raji: The previously durable Raji is supposedly recovered from a torn bicep. Because the injury happened early in season reports that he’s doing well and the contract received indicate the reports are not BS. Supposedly he’s even stronger; but, I remember hearing a few years ago a Packer player was faster after knee surgery; yea right, we’ll see. The injury was to his upper body allowing Raji to maintain his wind, his weight and work on lower body. And his body was free of punishment for an entire year; which will enhance ability to physically perform in 2015.

Of course we all know when Raji last played he stunk; but he has played well in the past. IMHO, the idea that Raji’s move from DE to NT will cause improvement is fool’s gold. It’s not like he was moved back from CB, the play and responsibilities of DE and NT are too similar to account for assuming a change in position will make him a better player.. Raji’s improvement will only result from a change in attitude. Given that Raji played well in PS in 2014 and stayed at the facility to rehab and work out; being a work out warrior; attending team meetings; attending practices and mentoring and giving tips to youngsters; I believe the message sent by 32 teams was received and Raji will respond. I think we’re gonna see a real contract year from Raji to become no worse than a top 5-6 NT and possibly a top 3.

BACK-UPS:
Boyd: 23 tackles, one missed tackle, three tackles for loss, zero sacks, seven quarterback hurries, zero interceptions, zero forced fumbles, one pass defended, 15 stops. Based on his splash plays in 2013, I was hoping Boyd would become a force. Injuries slowed him a bit; but still Boyd took a solid leap on 2014. His 15 stops is a solid number for 2nd yr DE only playing 1/3 of snaps and there’s a number of times that Boyd exploded into the backfield disrupting running plays where he received no “public stats;” only As and B+s from Turgo.

Pennell: 9 tackles, 2 missed tackles, 0 sacks, 4 hurries, 2 QB hits, 0 forced fumbles, 0 passes defended, 4 stops. A fine rookie yr for a raw UDFA from some sort of correspondence college. Based on the splash plays, and assuming a nice 1st to 2nd yr leap, turning more of that baby fat to muscle; I think Pennell will be a reliable NT back-up in 2015 and his ceiling is that of Snacks Harrison.

Guion: 41 tackles, 5 missed tackles, 4 TFL, 4 sacks, 10 hurries, 4 QB hits, 0 int, 1 forced fumble, 1 pass defended, 23 stops. Guion is the perfect veteran average guy; that some here clamor for and Ted Thompson and I hate because they block development of youngsters; but, sometimes ya need ‘em. Blount got a one game suspicion for pot possession [3/4 ounce] and Bell got 3.The mandatory penalty for DUI is a 2 game suspension, so it appears Bell got 2 more games because he was driving. I think the NFL will punish Guion only for pot because a player carrying wads of cash and responsibly toting a gun doesn’t bring disrepute to the brand. My gut says tells me that Guion’s ¾ pound compared to Blount’s ¾ ounce will illicit greater penalties; but I suspect NFL Lawyers will be recommend a consistent policy about penalties. Perhaps possession of pot of any amount will be a 1 game suspension; or over a half pound adds a week; or one week is added for each ½ pound. And they could penalize x weeks for having a gun and drugs [regardless of how gun is toted]. For sure he gets 1 week; but would not be shocked if he got 4 games. And if he’s had some past NFL drug/discipline trouble he will probably get more.

The suspension might work in Packers favor. LG will probably lose 1/3 to ½ a season by the time he dusts off the cob webs from suspension; so he should be fresh for the POs. Also, if Raji plays as I predict and a youngster is drafted high or one develops; LG might lose his roster spot unless injuries occur. Nevertheless because he’d be going through camp w/ Pack and has no guaranteed money, it’s 100% a football decision on what GB does with him.

PACKAGES:
3-4: Daniels, Raji and Jones w/ solid depth from Pennell, Boyd and Guion will not only be a force against the run; but all 6 of these guys have shown the ability to rush the QB. Because these guys can rush the QB I expect us to play more base D in ’15.

2-4-5: Raji, Daniels, Boyd, Pennell and Guion give us tremendous rotational depth inside that we have not had on the roster since 2010 and on the field since 2007.

Fat Boy Defense: With Pennell shedding baby fat for muscle and a reinvigorated Raji as a double NT teamed with guys capable of playing NT, Boyd and Guion, acting as DEs and Jones and Daniels playing force ends. Our short yardage defense will be exceptional in 2015. I love the technique Turgo uses to teach two DTs to time their hit on opposite shoulders of C to stop the QB sneaks; now when the sneak is snuffed and the QB bounces one gap left or right another fat boy [Guion or Boyd] will be cloggin’ that hole. Only problem is we need 6 active DLman or one of Boyd, Guion or Pennel will be inactive.

4 man stud rush: Neal, DJones [DT], Peppers [DT], CM3 formed a fearsome foursome in Champ game. With no blitzing they repeatedly harangued Wilson; while at the same time maintaining gap and lane discipline to prevent that pissant from running. Their teamwork was fabulous.

SCRUBS:
Luther Robinson: 66 snaps 3 hurries 1 pass knocked down is pretty good production, especially from an UDFA. LR was surprisingly stout on running plays, he penetrated and/or held round nicely; he just had trouble disengaging and making tackles or slowing the runner. Expect he’ll be better and stronger w/ his hands do disengage. It’d be nice to see him get on PS again; and GB doesn’t try to sign LR to PS, it will only because Ted Thompson found another young better stud.

Gaston: 2014 UDFA for AZ spent TC w/ them and was cut Aug. 30 with some beat writers predicting he’d make AZ’s roster; he was then claimed by NE and released after a few days and claimed by Miami. After being inactive for two games, Gaston was released and signed to the Dolphins practice squad. On September 24, AZ signed Gaston off Miami PS. On Nov. 3 Gaston was released and signed to AZ’s PS and in December Ted Thompson signed Gaston off of AZ’s PS. He’s not a camp body and obviously not Reggie White; he’s a #50-55 type roster/PS squad guy. At least a few people see his potential and the Pack now sits in the best position to realize if that potential will turn into a solid player.

Thornton: [See Goodson Thread]
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (13h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (13h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (14h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.