MintBaconDrivel
8 years ago

GREEN BAY -- Everyone chose their words carefully Wednesday, and Brett Favre did, too.

But while few of disgruntled cornerback Mike McKenzie's teammates were willing to publicly choose sides in the Green Bay Packers' family feud, Favre, the team's star quarterback and usually diplomatic leader, was McKenzie's most outspoken critic.

"He is one of the top corners in the league. I'll say that. But when you sign a contract, you sign a contract," Favre said after McKenzie skipped the opening practice of the Packers' post-draft minicamp Wednesday.

"We all make a lot of money, and sometimes it doesn't seem fair that other guys make more (even though) you know you're better than (them). But that's the way this business works, and I hope he realizes that. Because he will hurt our football team if he's away and he will really help our team when he's here.

"Hopefully he wakes up and comes back."

McKenzie, who has three years remaining on the contract extension he signed in January 2002 and has threatened to retire rather than play for the Packers again, is not expected to participate in the five-day camp. The Packers have yet to discuss any serious trade offers, according to a team source.

Because Wednesday's and today's practices are technically voluntary, McKenzie can't be fined until he misses Friday's practice, coach Mike Sherman said.

"If he's not here at the mandatory minicamp, I'll deal with it in-house," Sherman said.

Asked if he thinks McKenzie's holdout will be a distraction, Sherman replied, "Not at all. We plan to win with Mike or win without Mike, either way."

At practice, new defensive coordinator Bob Slowik and new defensive backs coach Kurt Schottenheimer tried to attend to business as usual, even though two of McKenzie's gripes are that Slowik isn't a signifcant change from previous defensive coordinator Ed Donatell and that the Packers hired Schottenheimer to replace Slowik instead of promoting assistant secondary coach Lionel Washington.

"We just coach whoever's here and shows up," Slowik said. "We just have to keep going."

It was clear in the Packers locker room after practice that Sherman had warned his players not to talk too much about their absent teammate. McKenzie has not spoken publicly since his trade request was made public, and his agent, Brian Parker, has not returned repeated messages.

While safety Darren Sharper claimed not to have talked to McKenzie -- despite calling him "a good friend" -- cornerbacks Al Harris and Michael Hawthorne both said they had spoke to McKenzie but refused to divulge what he'd said to them.

"I talked to him a couple times this offseason, and I never once asked him what's going on, what's the rift," Harris said.

Hawthorne, who replaced McKenzie at left cornerback with the No. 1 defense, said he spoke to McKenzie "a couple days ago. Asked what he told McKenzie, Hawthorne replied, "(I said), 'I respect your decision. I can't sit here and curse you out.' I will enjoy it when I see his face, whether it's in Green Bay or suited up for another team."

Favre was considerably less understanding.

"He should be here. We expect him to be here," Favre said. "The Packers have the upper hand. He says he wants to be traded and all that stuff, but they don't have to do that. When paycheck time starts coming around and you're not getting one, it's amazing how quickly you start waking up.

"I hope it doesn't come to that. Mike's a good guy. Sometimes we don't make good decisions or (we) have people telling us the wrong things."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
Right there is the reason The Packers ended up with Ahmad Carrol and Joey Thomas.

The New CBA took care of the Diva problem.

Guys know pretty much what they are going to make depending on where they are drafted.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
8 years ago
Bert also called out Javon Walker. LOL. How'd that work out?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

Bert also called out Javon Walker. LOL. How'd that work out?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Your hatred foe Brett Favre is well known.

You will be the in the 1% who will never get over what you perceive as a personal attack on you.
Wish you well.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
8 years ago

Your hatred foe Brett Favre is well known.

You will be the in the 1% who will never get over what you perceive as a personal attack on you.
Wish you well.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I don't lose sleep over it.

Just telling it like it is.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
8 years ago
I can understand B.Favre making remarks about players who don't show up for practice, after he did set an NFL record for consecutive games started. Weather he should have said anything is the question ? I don't believe he should have said anything.

Favre will be honored for his Packer play on the NFL fields. He deserves credit for leading the team out of a great time of drought. Have we become so accustomed to winning that we forget how our sports hearts were raised from despair when #4 led the Packers from the Division cellar ? When seeing the Packers back in the playoffs renewed our spirits and gave us hope again. Damn the off-field dramas, look past the poor behavior by many, and remember the best. Stop dishing up poison and get over it. Hatred after all only really hurts the person that hates.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

I can understand B.Favre making remarks about players who don't show up for practice, after he did set an NFL record for consecutive games started. Weather he should have said anything is the question ? I don't believe he should have said anything.

Favre will be honored for his Packer play on the NFL fields. He deserves credit for leading the team out of a great time of drought. Have we become so accustomed to winning that we forget how our sports hearts were raised from despair when #4 led the Packers from the Division cellar ? When seeing the Packers back in the playoffs renewed our spirits and gave us hope again. Damn the off-field dramas, look past the poor behavior by many, and remember the best. Stop dishing up poison and get over it. Hatred after all only really hurts the person that hates.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

On the contrary.

I'm very thankful to Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren. Even Reggie has a special place in my heart!
yooperfan
8 years ago
Let it go Nerd!
Porforis
8 years ago
Holy crap, is it August yet? Let's talk about football, not bicker.
Cheesey
8 years ago

I don't lose sleep over it.

Just telling it like it is.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

In reality, you are just telling it the way you see it. Not necessarily reality.
Your point of view.
I think "reality" is somewhere in the middle.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (23h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.