MintBaconDrivel
8 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. — Brett Favre isn't sure whether Javon Walker cares what he thinks of his receiver's holdout, but just in case, the Green Bay Packers' quarterback made it clear.

"If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I'd tell him he's going about this the wrong way," Favre said. "When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I'd tell him I've been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you."

Favre, 35, expressed his disappointment with Walker during a telephone interview from his Hattiesburg, Miss., home. He said he was upset when he heard Walker intended to sit out the season if the Packers don't renegotiate his contract.

Walker, the Packers' first-round draft pick in 2002, has two years remaining on his existing deal. He is scheduled to make $515,000 this season and $650,000 in 2006. Walker had a breakout season last year when he caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. He played in his first Pro Bowl in February.

"I would've never thought it would be a guy like Javon," Favre said. "I guess in this business nothing should surprise you, especially what happens when guys have a little bit of success. Some guys handle it the right way and some guys don't."

Favre said Walker's holdout reminded him of Sterling Sharpe's decision to hold out the night before the Packers hosted the Vikings in the 1994 season opener.

"Nowadays you're seeing more and more guys pulling that stunt," he said. "If guys continue to do that and are successful getting away with it, then I'll be gone, but I think the game will be ruined. My reaction to Javon's situation was 'Here we go again.'

"Javon has tremendous potential. We got to see some of that last year. The sky's the limit for that guy, and I'd be the first to defend him, but he's going about it the wrong way. What happened to honoring your contract and saying, 'Let's work as a team to see if we can get this done?' Why not go about it that way?

"Maybe I'm old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract. Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it's a lesser player, but it's all based on what a team has as far as value in that person."

Favre left no doubt as to how he thinks the Packers should handle the situation.

"I sure hope the Packers don't give in to him," he said. "I don't sit up in the front office, and I don't talk to them — regardless of what people might think — and tell them who to draft and who not to draft. They don't ask me, and it's not my job. My job is to throw passes and be a leader.

"That's why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader and even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said."

Favre was excused from the team's post-NFL draft minicamp. He heard of Walker's decision to hold out on Thursday evening. He said Walker might be wise to go to General Manager Ted Thompson directly and try to work out a new deal.

"Whatever happened to buying into the team concept?" he said. "If Javon does what he's supposed to do, and what he is paid a lot of money to do, he's paid to go to the Pro Bowl. He wasn't complaining two years ago, and until you do go (to the Pro Bowl), you don't even think twice about what they're paying you."

If Walker's stance doesn't change, Favre said, "I'd just as soon go without him. He's a great player. I think he can help us. He's likeable and easy to get along with, but I'm guessing he's getting the wrong advice, and he's buying into that.

"I just don't see much good that can come from it. If it gets time for the start of training camp and he's not in, I think it'll start bothering him, and he'll be here. But once again, nothing should surprise you.

"We've got guys who'll give great effort. Stars are made that way. Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up. We can win without him."

Walker's new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, also represents cornerback Mike McKenzie, who held out of all the Packers' preseason training sessions a year ago. McKenzie was traded to New Orleans a few weeks into the season.

Chris Havel  wrote:

He doesn't back down when it comes to Rosenhaus, Walker

Monday was about giving and charity. It was also a great day for golf in these rapidly dwindling days of freedom before training camp.

So it looks as if agent Drew Rosenhaus will have to keep waiting by his phone.

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre doesn't regret the things he has said about the potential holdouts of his teammates, and he didn't back down Monday during his first appearance at the charity U.S. Bank Championship pro-am at the Brown Deer Park Golf Course.

Favre has said he wants receiver Javon Walker to honor his contract and report to camp late next week. Rosenhaus, who represents Walker amid his threatened holdout, has taken issue with Favre's opinion.

The first was back in May.

"Favre himself has had his own contract disputes. And I'm surprised he's not sympathetic and supportive," Rosenhaus said.

And just last week, Rosenhaus said Favre should call him now that Grady Jackson, another of his clients, is also threatening a holdout for more money.

"I think there are a lot of things (Favre) doesn't know about our situation," Rosenhaus said. "There are a lot of things he needs to know."

Monday, between the 14th and 15th holes, Favre's response wasn't spiteful and his tone wasn't snide, but he wouldn't waffle, either.

"I haven't called him yet. I don't think he'll answer my calls," Favre said. "Set me straight on what? I've played 14 straight years. I have not held out one time. He has nothing to say to me."

The ugly business developments have felt somewhat personal for Favre. After playing in Green Bay for 13 seasons, he decided to come back for a 14th for a chance to win, and not for the off-the field soap operas that have developed this off-season.

"I've invested a lot of time, and ups and downs with this team," Favre said. "Green Bay is home to me. I've been to the top. We won a Super Bowl. We've lost one. I've seen it done right. And the years that we've been successful and have been competitive were the years we didn't have the problems like we're having.

"I don't know what's going to happen this year. I hope Javon comes back. I hope he comes to his senses. I know he's a good guy; he's a great player. He's still got a lot left to give to this game, to give to the Green Bay Packers. But you can't do it that way.

"Some people would agree with me, some people won't. And that's fine. But I know we need him, and I know he's under contract, and to me that means he should be here."

Aside from those comments, the day was strictly about golf and the proceeds raised for charity. Favre played 18 holes in a fivesome that included pro Bob Estes. Gary Grunau, Roy Reiman and Ned Timarac all bid $7,500 each in a special auction to benefit the Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer Fund. Even Favre's caddie, Jason Abraham, donated $3,600 for the honor to haul Favre's bag.

Favre joked that he wouldn't pay $50 to play with him after a couple of bogeys, but the reality is he did all right for a guy who has barely played lately. His drives were outstanding, some 360 yards or more. He also made par a few times and hit tricky shots on others. His line drive power shots through tree branches, long terrain and bunkers to get back onto the fairway or onto the green were impressive. In fact, his best shots seemed to come from more challenging situations, not at all unlike the way he plays football.

"I'm doing OK. Having fun. As I said a couple times, I'm not out here trying to win the Masters. If I'm putting for six, I'm picking up," Favre said with a laugh.

A gallery of several hundred people followed Favre on a hot, windy day. He signed autographs for his playing partners. He also shook hands with Adam Spenner of Germantown, a well-known fixture in golf circles because he can always be found at the 15th hole. Spenner was born with a brain stem tumor and his mother, Linda, said he was given six months to live when he was 3 years old. Adam turned 21 last November and looked thrilled in his wheelchair to take in the golf and watch Favre play, and that meant a lot to Favre.

"It does. I have two girls myself, one who just turned 6, and I see things through their eyes," Favre said. "As we get older, you forget what it's like to be a kid. Having kids myself, it makes you go back and I know how much that means to them."

Today, Favre will be back for more, joined by teammates Ryan Longwell and Mark Tauscher and the quarterback he replaced in 1992, Don Majkowski, in a charity shoot-out. It begins at 3 p.m. and takes place on Holes 1 and 5 through 9. Other pros expected to attend include J.P. Hayes, Skip Kendall, Jerry Kelly and Steve Stricker, but Favre expects a little competitive fire from the football guys, too.

"Longwell plays every day. Of course he's a kicker, and kickers have nothing else to do but play golf," Favre joked. "It'll be interesting to see how 'Majik' plays. I know how Tauscher plays. I've played with Tauscher at 340 pounds, 330 pounds, whatever. He's pretty good. He can play softball and he can play basketball. He's not a bad golfer. You wouldn't expect him to be able to hit it straight but he's pretty good. So we'll have some fun."

Lori Nickel  wrote:

nerdmann
8 years ago
Haha, Walker came in and promptly shredded his knee.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Haha, Walker came in and promptly shredded his knee.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Goes to show how valuable that it is to train when scheduled. It's a shame Javon was poorly advised because he was very talented. Favre said he was most talented WR he's ever played with other than Sharpe.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
8 years ago
Screw Roderick and any player associated with him.
Good for BRETT.
Barfarn
8 years ago

Screw Roderick and any player associated with him.
Good for BRETT.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

It is perfectly okay for a "leader" to express his opinion on such things; BUT NOT IN THE MEDIA. It is a betrayal and it turns the stomach of the knowledgeable football fan.

EVERY single NFL team at the beginning of EVERY year realizes that $hit will happen between players and coaches and trainers; etc. And EVERY year EVERY MAN on EVERY team makes a pact w/ one another...They metaphorically look each other in the eye and shake hands, they commit to one another that the $hit will be kept in house.

The 1996 Favre understood how important these pacts were to winning and he NEVER would have violated that trust. But, self-indulgent cancerous petulant spoiled child Favre of 1999/2000-whenever had/has no idea what the concepts of commitment, honor, team, dignity and class mean. He did this to several players and know this, when Favre betrayed the trust of one, it affected a bunch of guys, probably, well over half the team in a negative way.

Favre broke this pact repeatedly and now you know why we didn't win after 1998.

Now, if, despite this, you still feel he belongs in the GB HOF, fine; I'd forgive too if he wasn't still doing the same things; so we'll just have to agree to disagree. But dont you dare applaud Ray Rice for cold-cocking his wife in the elevator nor applaud Favre for acting like pure betraying excrement. Of course there were other commitments that Favre betrayed as well, right? And sexual harassment is a crime that works very much like rape...would you let Sharper in GB HOF if he was otherwise worthy?

And grow some empathy: imagine yourself a 20 YO having no idea how to act in an NFL lockerroom; so you adapt to the existing culture. Now how can ya blame Walker, for "getting his" and thinking of the team second when he witnessed it first hand from a supposed God leader of the team that was constantl acting like a spoiled little debutante?

It's not anger that I'd argue the sun rises in the east! BF2 was pure GB cancer in the 2000s! This is a well documented, but under reported, fact!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (16h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (21h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.