uffda udfa
8 years ago

A lot of those mentioned really didn't come with all that high expectations.

To me, the EASY Choice is Tony Mandarich.

Fullwood is a good pick also, along with another much ballyhooed RB (Eddie ___?) about the same time who messed up his knee. My other choice would be Tim Lewis (I think the last name is correct) - a Corner who looked like a superstar, but he had a career-ending neck injury after just a year or two.

Going way way back, Jim Grabowski was a pretty big disappointment too.

Edit:

Now I remember: Eddie Lee Ivory

So my top 5 would be: Mandarich, Tim Lewis, Fullwood, Ivory, and Grabowski.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Eddie Lee Ivery had a chance to be a HOF back. He met his expectations when he actually played. It's a shame his career ended as it did. It seems we've had way too many guys have careers ruined by injury. Tim Lewis was a fine player, too...same deal.

Terrell Buckley and his promise of 22 interceptions rang a little hollow. He was about as much or more hype than Tony Mandarich. Had I not personally spoken to Jamal Reynolds (yup, name dropping...ha.) prior to his being drafted I would've put him on the list but talking to him once, I truly wondered if the guy wasn't already dead. He had zero personality and sounded like he was asleep. Why we took him is still a mystery to me.

Also, Rich Campbell...the QB who was going to lead us out of the darkness...just brutal.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago

Eddie Lee Ivery had a chance to be a HOF back. He met his expectations when he actually played. It's a shame his career ended as it did.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I don't consider Ivery a flop; despite the knee injuries, he was a valuable contributor for several years at RB and WR.

But of all the players whose careers were cut short by injury, his may be the saddest for me. Unlike the others who flopped, he showed his quality from the get go. His was not a case of taking time to develop into his potential, not a case of inconsistency, not a case of having college skills that didn't translate to the pros.

What he has was horrible injuries way too early in his career. I was convinced, like uffda, that he had HOF potential.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Dulak
8 years ago
Well for me its Justin Harrell - Supposed to be a big tough guy etc etc ...

disc bulge in his back took him out of the game ... and poor treatment (had to add that in there).

But of course tony sandwich wins the prize ... but I wasnt totally a packers fan back then ... like I am now

to be honest I wasnt surprised about brohm ... he never really looked that good - never expected much
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
One of the kids I had the most hope for, that never panned out was Aaron Rouse. He had a rare combination of speed and size that would have made him the perfect SS/ILB hybrid that would have been nice to have the way the game has evolved with passing and pass catching TEs.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
8 years ago
So many GREAT replies here.
I'd say Manderich is number one on my list. He was hyped SOOO much, and did NOTHING except collect a paycheck here.

Guys that lost out because they got hurt, it's hard for me to call a true "bust". Except for "Bustin Justin", who was hurt before the Packers even wasted a pick on him. They never should have taken the guy. But I guess they thought he was over the injury bug.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
There's a bit of a divide here between those of us old enough to remember the bad old days (pre-Holmgren/Favre) and even the glory days before that bad period, and those whose top flops occurred during the good/great past couple of decades.

Also, there's a fine line between pure floppage and not becoming as great as expected due to injury. I can see Eddie Lee Ivery not being considered a flop for that reason.

uffa, I was trying to think of the name of Rich Campbell. He also should be in the top five IMO. Are you old enough to remember Randy Duncan - an Iowa QB who went to Canada rather than play for the Packers - I think in the pre-Lombardi years?

Another name I just thought of was Mike McCoy - the supposedly super Notre Dame DT who never really panned out.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
Any QB after Starr not named Dickey,Majic,Favre, Brunell, or Rodgers.

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Hey Texas... I don't remember Randy Duncan, but I am old enough to remember Bruce Clark stiffing us. 4th overall pick. It sucked he could weasel his way to the CFL and then return to play for another team. He Favred us in a sense.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (50m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.