uffda udfa
8 years ago

Since you are bringing up failed Packer receivers of the past what about Corey Bradford. I seem to recall you comparing Janis favorably to him. He did about as much as Mickens did. If Adams is Mickens maybe Janis is Bradford. If so it's buh bye to both of them.

If I am thinking of someone else who kept saying stuff like "we need a fast Corey Bradford type guy" I'm sorry

Originally Posted by: sschind 

You're remembering correctly...I have said that and I still believe it. Corey Bradford had the speed to change games. I remember his play on a night game at Lambeau vs. Seattle...to the house. Corey wasn't the total package unfortunately. I want a guy for us who can play WR who has speed that changes games. That is not some off the wall stupid request.

Davante was compared to Driver above. Donald was hand timed in the 4.3's during his pro day. Davante couldn't get out of the 4.5's at his.

It was asked why so fired up about a 7th round pick? Well, what was Donald Driver? Charles Johnson? He now has a nice budding career going in Minnesota. Again, in case you missed it, Jeff Janis has measurables that compare favorably with Julio Jones. Those guys don't come around often. We saw a taste...a tease...in St. Louis. That was as exciting of a player as we've seen in Green Bay since Randall scored vs. New Orleans on his KO return and then the play where he ran the wrong route. You could see he had some special to him not the typical run of the mill possession type WR that we've seen in Green Bay over the years. Randall just got 10 million a season for that type of thing. It's special. I believe JJ has even more of what Randall has naturally. He's no Randall coming into the NFL head wise, though. All I hope is that he gets it and isn't a Robert Ferguson. Driver loves him so that's a good sign. I'll be extremely surprised if he's cut even with the glut of much higher picks at the position.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
8 years ago
I suppose Jordy Nelson doesn't have "the speed to change games" despite plentiful visual evidence of his speed changing games. Forget what you see his track time from 7 years ago is what matters.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Davante Adams was a 2nd round selection. Davante. Adams. He plays for the Green Bay Packers. He plays Wide Receiver.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
8 years ago

Davante was compared to Driver above. Donald was hand timed in the 4.3's during his pro day. Davante couldn't get out of the 4.5's at his.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

and Terry Mickens ended his Packers career with half the yards and less TDs than Davante had his rookie year so in what way is that even a decent comparison?. I wasn't comparing 40 times I was comparing play style.
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Did you watch Terry Mickens play? To me, Davante looks like him.

The Packers have been questioned about the speed of some of their guys like Adams...the answer is "we think he's fast enough" implying that speed is important.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Davante-Adams-on-Jeff-Janis-That-dude-is-fast/2a08c84f-ac79-4bea-ad8a-e0ceed2f3076 

Oh, and speed doesn't matter...just look at MM's face...wind it to 1:17 and just look at Mike's face. Look at it after he watches Janis go 62 yards in pre-season on a KO return. Just click the Chiefs highlights...

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-locker-room-report/article-1/Jeff-Janis-among-those-making-final-pitches/5d59a276-8798-49b1-9a7a-2b35ba203416 
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mi_keys
8 years ago
So did I miss something or have the Packers left the NFL to compete in track and field?
Born and bred a cheesehead
steveishere
8 years ago
Nobody saw Mickens play because he barely played. He caught 26 passes in 4 years in GB. At this point he's more of a comparison to Janis, they both had less than 5 receptions and averaged about 8.0 as rookies. Literally the only thing he has in common with Davante is the close 40 time which based on their production differences looks like an awful reason to make a comparison.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

So did I miss something or have the Packers left the NFL to compete in track and field?

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

How come lineman don't return kicks?

Watch the links in my previous post... speed matters. Davante himself is impressed with how Janis can fly. Mike McCarthy was visibly moved by the speed of Janis. It matters...it changes games. I know...why would we want Davante or any of our players to be faster? Fast is stupid. Who needs fast? I know in the years Kaepernick shredded us I kept thinking that speed wasn't important at all. He could've had Peyton Manning's speed and the same thing could've happened.

My lament then is what it is now... If you have a Packers team with very good offensive talent but you're seeing a lot of 2 deep shell coverage and your QB is getting frustrated with it what is it that you might need? How about someone with gamechanging speed to beat it? Nah, let's just continue trotting out guys without special speed. A speed guy is a dimension missing and would help diversify our attack. Davante was a very puzzling pick to me. You pick a guy who is pretty vanilla overall with his measurables and draft him in Round 2? What trait is he adding to your team that you couldn't find or didn't already have in a guy like Boykin? I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

UserPostedImage

Rockmolder
8 years ago

Watch the links in my previous post... speed matters. Davante himself is impressed with how Janis can fly. Mike McCarthy was visibly moved by the speed of Janis. It matters...it changes games. I know...why would we want Davante or any of our players to be faster? Fast is stupid. Who needs fast? I know in the years Kaepernick shredded us I kept thinking that speed wasn't important at all. He could've had Peyton Manning's speed and the same thing could've happened.

My lament then is what it is now... If you have a Packers team with very good offensive talent but you're seeing a lot of 2 deep shell coverage and your QB is getting frustrated with it what is it that you might need? How about someone with gamechanging speed to beat it? Nah, let's just continue trotting out guys without special speed. A speed guy is a dimension missing and would help diversify our attack. Davante was a very puzzling pick to me. You pick a guy who is pretty vanilla overall with his measurables and draft him in Round 2? What trait is he adding to your team that you couldn't find or didn't already have in a guy like Boykin? I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

No one's saying speed doesn't matter, it's just that skill beats speed just about every time.

Adding to what I said in my last post... If it was all about speed, the Raiders would've been SB champs every year under Al Davis.
nerdmann
8 years ago

What you need is a TE who get get up the seam.

As for what Davante has that Janis doesn't have, well there's PRODUCTION for one. He also knows how to run routes. He can get open. Most importantly IMO he can go up and get the ball. Janis is more like Bush, compared to these other DBs. He's got speed and he can get in position, but he can't make a play on the ball to save his own life.

Janis needs to learn how to do that. Until then, he's Terry Mickens and nothing more.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”