nerdmann
8 years ago

When I said this originally just a few days or a week ago, I even highlighted a portion to be clear and yet you continue to be obtuse. So obnoxiously frustrating. 🤬 🤣

In case the highlighted portion evades you once again, I'm gonna let greengold's reply double as that of my own.

😍

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

If my threads are repetitive, it's not intentional. Feel free to combine them or whatever, I'm just using the news feed to spur some convo I guess. Slow time of the year for football.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

If my threads are repetitive, it's not intentional. Feel free to combine them or whatever, I'm just using the news feed to spur some convo I guess. Slow time of the year for football.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I wouldn't say this thread is repetitive. It's delving into the whole re-sign stars, avoid free agents aspect. Sure, we know the top dog is draft and develop, but this is looking at that process in a different light.

The Packers are once again considered Super Bowl contenders unanimously among experts. Pretty much tells us all what we need to know. 😂
UserPostedImage
Porforis
8 years ago

Yes. I get it. We all get it. We all know how our team operates. Why do we have to see post after post about it? Why start this topic at all and then comment about Ted's genius? Why?

This conversation has been had over and over and over and over. Nobody seems to have a single problem with it until I post my counter opinion then it's me who is the broken record.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

http://www.packershome.com/forum/posts/t23506-Snaps-Lost--2015-Green-Bay-Packers 

http://www.packershome.com/forum/posts/t23517-Vince-Lombardi---There-s-no-room-for-second-place 

Obvious conclusions: Very few people set out to actually post topics about how the Packers are amazing and Ted Thompson is a god, or vice versa.

Topics about players in general will drift towards the draft (especially if they were just drafted). Yes, several people go out of their way to turn those things into a statement about how the Packers drafting and personnel management have kept them as contenders.

On the other hand, you oftentimes go out of your way to point how how Ted Thompson has condemned the Packers to above-averageness when they should be consistently great. I can respect that opinion if I don't completely agree with it. We all have opinions we want to express, if someone's bringing up the fact that they love Ted's personnel management in a topic not explicitly about it, it's no more shoving their opinion in your face than your posts about Ted are shoved in my face. You can disagree with someone without taking it personally. Take a step back, relax, and appreciate the differences in opinion.

If you take the time to truly read what people post on these forums, I think you'll learn to appreciate just how varied the opinions are. While a lot of us have a generally favorable view of Ted Thompson, the vast majority of us that do still routinely criticize decisions he's made on a regular basis.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

If you take the time to truly read what people post on these forums, I think you'll learn to appreciate just how varied the opinions are. While a lot of us have a generally favorable view of Ted Thompson, the vast majority of us that do still routinely criticize decisions he's made on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Thank you. What makes discussion boards great is all the different views and opinions. I don't know of any single person who thinks Ted Thompson is a God in any other manner other than being facetious.
Pre-2010 good portion despised the guy and his methods.
Post-2010 most came around to thinking, okay, maybe dude knows what he's talking about.

There a plethora more Aaron Rodgers jock lickers than Ted Thompson and while I think Aaron is great, the guy has his faults on the field. A lot of them.
UserPostedImage
68md
8 years ago
Porforis and Z2C 👍

That is all 🙂
greengold
8 years ago

Avoiding free agents doesn't cause success, avoiding bad free agents does. It wouldn't hurt us to bring in some more FA to compete for positions though I'm generally against signing guys to deals like Suh got where a guy has to play at an insane level to even come near justifying their contract and if he doesn't your salary cap gets completely shit on.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Yes but I don't think being successful signing free agents is as easy as some make it sound. The Packers aren't operating in a vacuum. There are 31 other teams in competition for the few that are actually worth pursuing.

Peppers is a pleasant surprise at his advanced age. I hope he can play out his contract and retire as a Packer. 😎

uffda udfa
8 years ago
We tried for Revis. Offered a laughable sum to him knowing he wouldn't take it. At least we took a swing. Here's the thing, though, had we offered some more scratch we likely don't draft back to back DB's in Rounds 1 and 2 of the draft. Perhaps, we take Malcolm Brown instead of Randall, or some other player.
Ted Thompson is praised for what he does do and also for what he doesn't do...he can't lose with most fans. To me, if you knew you needed a CB and you were willing to pay a superstar less than you were Tramon, and then you turn around and rely on rookies, that's a huge gamble. Revis and Shields would've been a heckuva pair of CB's. Instead, Revis goes back to the Jets.

Nerd seemed to praise Ted Thompson in his failings to get Lynch. You get Lynch and you don't have to use your 2nd for Lacy. You get a better performer for a higher pick as Lynch didn't command a 2nd but even if he had he's better than Lacy. The Moss deal that didn't happen is just plain sickening...Brady and Moss just tear the league to shreds but somehow Ted was smart not to increase his offer. He blew that big time. Don't even get me started on Tony Gonzalez...he should've been a Packer, also...didn't make that happen, either.

Fact remains the two times we won a SB in the last 40+ years was when we used FA ...not when we sat back and regurgitated how draft and develop is the key to success. It isn't because that alone hasn't won us jack in over 4 decades but still we see all these pro Ted Thompson post about how smart he is for NOT using FA. 2 SB's in using FA in 40+ years...ZERO without. Yes, let's shun FA...sounds like a wonderful idea leading to winning divisions but failing in the playoffs. Tick, tick, tick goes Aaron's career.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

sschind
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I was going to say this, and then I wasn't but since you brought up my exact issue I'll go ahead and say it. I appreciate the spur some convo thing but so many times you simply post the article with no spur. Its not a big deal its just that when I see a post by you now I always look to see if it has any replies because if it doesn't I feel like there is a good chance its just a link to an article I have already read. When it comes back up with a couple of replies I will look because then there is some spur.

Like I said its not a big deal I just can't see the purpose of posting the article without having something to say about it. In the Levon Hooks thread you made the comment about Jones and that's really all I ask.

On the other hand I can't help but think your comment had some sort of ulterior, perhaps more sinister, motive this time.:wink:
nerdmann
8 years ago

I was going to say this, and then I wasn't but since you brought up my exact issue I'll go ahead and say it. I appreciate the spur some convo thing but so many times you simply post the article with no spur. Its not a big deal its just that when I see a post by you now I always look to see if it has any replies because if it doesn't I feel like there is a good chance its just a link to an article I have already read. When it comes back up with a couple of replies I will look because then there is some spur.

Like I said its not a big deal I just can't see the purpose of posting the article without having something to say about it. In the Levon Hooks thread you made the comment about Jones and that's really all I ask.

On the other hand I can't help but think your comment had some sort of ulterior, perhaps more sinister, motive this time.:wink:

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I usually try to think of something clever to say.

For example, when I posted the article about Demetri Goodson, I notes his AWESOME measurables!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
8 years ago

We tried for Revis. Offered a laughable sum to him knowing he wouldn't take it. At least we took a swing. Here's the thing, though, had we offered some more scratch we likely don't draft back to back DB's in Rounds 1 and 2 of the draft. Perhaps, we take Malcolm Brown instead of Randall, or some other player.

Ted Thompson is praised for what he does do and also for what he doesn't do...he can't lose with most fans. To me, if you knew you needed a CB and you were willing to pay a superstar less than you were Tramon, and then you turn around and rely on rookies, that's a huge gamble. Revis and Shields would've been a heckuva pair of CB's. Instead, Revis goes back to the Jets.

Nerd seemed to praise Ted Thompson in his failings to get Lynch. You get Lynch and you don't have to use your 2nd for Lacy. You get a better performer for a higher pick as Lynch didn't command a 2nd but even if he had he's better than Lacy. The Moss deal that didn't happen is just plain sickening...Brady and Moss just tear the league to shreds but somehow Ted was smart not to increase his offer. He blew that big time. Don't even get me started on Tony Gonzalez...he should've been a Packer, also...didn't make that happen, either.

Fact remains the two times we won a SB in the last 40+ years was when we used FA ...not when we sat back and regurgitated how draft and develop is the key to success. It isn't because that alone hasn't won us jack in over 4 decades but still we see all these pro Ted Thompson post about how smart he is for NOT using FA. 2 SB's in using FA in 40+ years...ZERO without. Yes, let's shun FA...sounds like a wonderful idea leading to winning divisions but failing in the playoffs. Tick, tick, tick goes Aaron's career.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Lombardi threepeated with "draft and develop." That sounds pretty good to me.

When you're in negotations and you have a deal done, then at the last second the other side pulls some kind of bullshit like that, a real negotiator will walk away every single time. That's bullshit. Don't be so damn desperate. We're not losing out on SBs due to our roster.

As for the Moss trade, Ted shouldn't have even considered that trade, as he was attempting to take back the franchise from the diva QB who thought it was his place to dictate personell moves. As I said at the time, we didn't need Randy MOss, we had Greg Jennings.

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (10h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (10h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (11h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (14h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.