wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

[quote="DarkaneRules"]Haha weeeeell

If I'm not mistaken, the Giants and da Bears were the only teams that were able to stop it. I don't remember how much it was used against the Cows.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Well I believe two of those games, the weather stopped it, and the third should have been a blow out, but James Jones fumbled twice. I say we roll dice with it, especially in Minnesota in two weeks.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Right so unless it is an extereme weather day they should have success with the formation.

I wonder why they didn't use with with a RB or TE in the 5th slot?
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
I agree with DarkaneRules that the Big Five is overrated. It is a gimmick that teams caught onto toward the end of the year. Do the math: Five guys cover five WR's, leaving six guys to rush the passer against five O-linemen. That means one of them will almost certainly get a free shot at the QB within two or three seconds, so there will not be enough time for a receiver to get open and the QB will be exposed to a big hit.

What's lost in all this discussion is that our #3 receiver coming back, and he is way better than our #4 and #5 WR's. This will be a significant boost to our offense.
blank
PackerTraxx
15 years ago
Do you really think Jones is way better than Jordy? I agree he is better right now but I wouldn't say way better. I don't like the dropped passes Jones has had in his short stint this year. JMHO
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
beast
15 years ago

I agree with DarkaneRules that the Big Five is overrated. It is a gimmick that teams caught onto toward the end of the year. Do the math: Five guys cover five WR's, leaving six guys to rush the passer against five O-linemen. That means one of them will almost certainly get a free shot at the QB within two or three seconds, so there will not be enough time for a receiver to get open and the QB will be exposed to a big hit.

What's lost in all this discussion is that our #3 receiver coming back, and he is way better than our #4 and #5 WR's. This will be a significant boost to our offense.

"Greg C." wrote:

Wait are you really saying you think their are 5 players on any one team that can cover those 5 one of one?

If a team is dumb enough to rush 6 then just dump it off.

Martin and Nelson should be able to win the battle of a jump ball and if their able to stay on their feet they could take on one to the house.

Jones is strong as LB and quicker than 90% of them throw a fast one to him and lets see a DB one on one try to tackle him or a LB stay in his shoes trying to stay with him.

Driver... ok Driver has nothing overly special but he's very good at everything is better than the other at making one guy miss.

Jennings throw a slant to to the guy if he's one on one if the DB figures that out he'll just fake the slant and throw it to his out side shoulder. How many CBs can cover Jennings one on one? Not many.

I welcome teams to rush 6 with 5 WRs out there, I really do.

Now what teams really have done is NOT rush 6 but rush 5 with one of them being an unknown blitzer and the Packers have had a hard time figuring out which one is the blitzing and then the OL adjusting to which one it is once they figure it out.
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago

Do you really think Jones is way better than Jordy? I agree he is better right now but I wouldn't say way better. I don't like the dropped passes Jones has had in his short stint this year. JMHO

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

You really can't compare Jordy and Jones that much because their styles of playing are almost complete oppsite.

Jones is the quick but not to speed guy that takes little steps.

Nelson is the speed but not to quick guy that takes long steps.

Jones is the best on the team at ajusting his body to the ball (yes better than Jennings even) While Nelson is problem 3rd or 4th.

Hands it's hard for me to judge but I think that would go to Jordy over Jones.

There styles of play aren't alike much at all. Which means between the two one of them should be able to create a good match up unless there faceing a good, talented, and complete DB.
UserPostedImage
brnt247
15 years ago
There's nothing to say that Jones is better than Jordy. Saying that Jones is better than Jennings at adjusting to the ball is pretty inaccurate. Their styles really aren't that different either, they are both pretty big and fast receivers. Jones is a bit better on the inside routes and Jordy is a bit better on the fly routes. Their hands and ball instincts are pretty similar, it really doesn't make a difference if we had Jordy or James out their, but with both on the field it makes our passing game very dynamic and the match ups with their defensive backs should favor us.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
James Jones has more experience in the Packers system than Jordy.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
Here's another wrinkle..........if they use the big 5, and no one gets open, Rodgers has shown he can pick up some big yardage with his legs.
Thats something we didn't have last year with the big 5 formation.
Do that a couple times and someone WILL get open.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago

There's nothing to say that Jones is better than Jordy. Saying that Jones is better than Jennings at adjusting to the ball is pretty inaccurate. Their styles really aren't that different either, they are both pretty big and fast receivers. Jones is a bit better on the inside routes and Jordy is a bit better on the fly routes. Their hands and ball instincts are pretty similar, it really doesn't make a difference if we had Jordy or James out their, but with both on the field it makes our passing game very dynamic and the match ups with their defensive backs should favor us.

"brnt247" wrote:

How soon people forget. Last year at Minnesota, Jones ran a sideline pattern for a TD, and in Denver, he torched Champ Bailey deep. That was one of the biggest plays of the season by any Packer. Jordy Nelson is a promising rookie, but at this point all he does is run sideline patterns. I have yet to see him go across the middle. That's okay. He will start to do that when he gets better. Jones, on the other hand, loves to go over the middle, and he can use those routes to set up DB's for sideline patterns. Jones is a complete receiver.

Also, last year he had the best hands on the team. This year he had a couple drops, which I think resulted from playing injured. That affects a player's concentration. If he comes back fully healthy he will be snatching balls out of the air just like he did last year. I still think Jones is underrated by fans simply because he doesn't have a great 40 time.

As for the Big Five, I guess I need to be more specific. Teams were able to stop it by playing press coverage on all five WR's, which made it impossible for them to get open downfield before one of the pass rushers got to the QB in 2-3 seconds. That's why at the end of the season, the Big Five usually resulted in very short gains if the pass was completed at all. It's okay as a change of pace once in awhile, but the 3-4 receiver sets are a lot more dangerous because then there is a TE and/or RB to pick up blitzers, which at least provides the potential for a big play down the field. And Jones is much more of a threat in those formations than Jordy or Ruvell because he can get open anywhere on the field.
blank
brnt247
15 years ago
I don't think it's that I underrate Jones, it's that I think Nelson is a very solid receiver. Like I said, Jones goes over the middle on the slant routes a bit more frequently but when Nelson is on the field his speed makes him a threat to take the ball to the end zone on any play. Jordy has also worked a lot on his YAC just as all of the Packer wide outs have.

Jones' play against Bailey last year was tremendous, but his fumbles against Chicago pretty much cost us an entire game.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.