Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Brandon Bostick. A.J. Hawk. Brad Jones. Shawn Slocum. Jarrett Bush.

That was a quintuple of fall guys.

The Packers offense was number on in the league. Not exactly a lot of room to bitch about there aside from the red zone. The real bitching needs to be focused on the DEFENSE or lack there of.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Brandon Bostick. A.J. Hawk. Brad Jones. Shawn Slocum. Jarrett Bush.

That was a quintuple of fall guys.

The Packers offense was number on in the league. Not exactly a lot of room to bitch about there aside from the red zone. The real bitching needs to be focused on the DEFENSE or lack there of.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You have the greatest of all time under center...you better be #1 or pretty close every year.

Hawk wasn't a fall guy nor was Jones. Slocum? Sure. Bush was old and had the off field incident. He didn't take a fall for any of this. I'd forgotten about Slocum but then again when you're running the 32nd ranked ST's you're probably going whether Seattle happens or not.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago

I'm curious why some of you guys are even in a forum like this? Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy make no mistakes and we have 100% confidence in their abilities. Seriously, this is how all of you go about your posting. Screw that, I'm an anarchist - I do not just simply accept what is.

In my opinion, Ted Thompson should have walked down on the field after the NFC championship game and fired MM's fat ass! You do not lose a game like that without heads rolling. That game was a statistical blowout and Mike McCarthy made plenty of mistakes keeping that from happening. Good thing Bostick was the fall guy for all the slurper Packers fans that don't demand more accountability. That was the equivalent to the Vikings losing to the Falcons in 98.

Anyway, glad you guys are happy with no improvement on the offense, just status quo gets it done in your minds.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Mike took himself off play calling duties. HOPEFULLY that will address the self-shitting situation. We shall see. If Clements doesn't have "it," we've still got Edgar Bennett. I'm pretty confident he'll be a good play caller.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
8 years ago

Jimmy Graham would've cost us a 1st (Randall) and who? I don't know. We really didn't have much to offer. I would've given them our 1st and Davante and never thought twice but I doubt the Saints would've wanted him. The cupboard was bare coming into this season and draft and it's as bare now as it was then. That's shameful to me.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

So your bitching at Ted for not trading for someone. Then you can't come up with anyone you're willing trade that would've made it happen. This is exactly what was expected of you.
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

So your bitching at Ted for not trading for someone. Then you can't come up with anyone you're willing trade that would've made it happen. This is exactly what was expected of you.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

This surprises you?

For the umpteenth time Uffda has taken a thread and twisted it so he can once again tell us how Ted Thompson is a screw up.

Let's review.
This started before the 2014 draft when Uffda was absolutely amazed that Ted Thompson would Not give up 2 1st round picks and sign Jimmy Graham to a 40mil contract.
Jumping to the present we all now know that had Ted made the deal The Packers would be without HHCD, D. Randall and probably R. Cobb.

Because as we all know there is just so much room for 40mil receivers and Cobb would have surely left.
Considering the fact that both Nelson and Cobb put up similar numbers to Graham, I would have to say Ted was right again.

Again none of this has anything to do with the subject of the thread, but I guess If Uffda is going to continue his attacks on Ted Thompson's decision not to wager the future for a glorified TE who refuses to block, then I guess I will keep posting how silly Ted was and is making Uffda look.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DakotaT
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

How long was the inside linebacker position ignored, because we had awesome players in AJ Hawk and Brad Jones? Stupidity like that costs you championships. You don't get players like Aaron Rodgers every day. Isn't it the responsibility of the GM to put forth the very best team he can assemble and not go into each season with glaring holes?

The tight end position is weak, and our OT position is sketchy. And I've been praying for a Megatron/Dez Bryant type of talent at WR for a long time, just to make Rodgers' job easier.

We have a smaller window with Rodgers than people want to admit to. Basically 2011 through 2015 were pissed away. How many more will be like that. Like I've said, I've watched this movie before with Favre's career.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

How long was the inside linebacker position ignored, because we had awesome players in AJ Hawk and Brad Jones? Stupidity like that costs you championships. You don't get players like Aaron Rodgers every day. Isn't it the responsibility of the GM to put forth the very best team he can assemble and not go into each season with glaring holes?

The tight end position is weak, and our OT position is sketchy. And I've been praying for a Megatron/Dez Bryant type of talent at WR for a long time, just to make Rodgers' job easier.

We have a smaller window with Rodgers than people want to admit to. Basically 2011 through 2015 were pissed away. How many more will be like that. Like I've said, I've watched this movie before with Favre's career.

The ILBs did not cost us the championship last year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
8 years ago

The ILBs did not cost us the championship last year.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The inability to move the ball against a tough defense did. Like it has the last couple years.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
This is NOT meant to be a blanket endorsement of Ted Thompson, as there are things about his GMship that I'm not totally pleased with, however: the overriding fact is that the Packers have continued to be at or near the top of the NFL for about a generation now. True, we haven't won enough Super Bowls in that time, but BFD. If the team is playing winning football consistently for a long period of time, I'll take that. There are 32 teams in the league; A lot of them play "boom and bust" - sell out to load up, then sink to the bottom as they rebuild - the Giants come to mind in that. I would MUCH rather have a team that is CONSISTENTLY near the top.

A couple of other points:

Making a deal for Jimmy Graham? Hell No! Considering what it took to get him, no way that would have been beneficial. TE is NOT that important a position; In the salary cap era, you can't have the best of everything everywhere, and settling just a bit at TE ain't that bad.

Winning while we have the greatest QB in the NFL - probably ever: First of all, we ARE winning - consistently. Some of us can remember over 20 years between Lombardi and Holmgren when we were not. Secondly, a LOT of teams have had great QBs - not that much below Rodgers and Favre, and also did not win a lot of Super Bowls; Some did not even win consistently in the sense of staying near the top. Elway, Marino, and P. Manning come to mind. In addition, there have been a LOT of QBs who were "great" in terms of their paycheck, but never came through and earned the big money (dontcha wish we had the GMs that paid people like Cutler, Flacco, Stafford, etc.?)

So in summary, things could always be better, but they have been pretty damn good for a long time.

And I say again, the title of this thread is pure crap - who among Packer fans in their right mind believes "the sky is falling" or whatever!
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
musccy
8 years ago

You have calculated risks at numerous positions due to the reality of the cap. Agreed that Hawk/Jones were letdowns, the depth at TE doesn't look appealing now, and I'm iffy on DL depth. That said, the vast majority of this roster was 4 minutes of "self shitting" away from the SB, yet I read is that the sky is falling.

There are going to be "glaring holes" on any roster when you're capped. C last year, CB this year were among those holes and as of now, those seem to have at least adequate personnel.

I'm not a Ted Thompson apologist, I just recognize this is a really deep team with the exception of a few positions...the Seahawks and Pats were weak at WR the last two years, it happens. I'd rather comment on specific situations (e.g. I would have liked to see Gresham here) than blanket generalizations about how Ted has floundered an organization that just went 12-4.