DoddPower
8 years ago
Aaron Rodgers does much more to help his team win than JJ Watt does. To me, that makes him the better player. Is he the best athlete? Obviously not. Did he have an extraordinary amazing season for the position? It was very very good, but similar to others. Everything is skewed to benefit the quarterback position, too. But the fact remains, Aaron Rodgers does more of the most important aspect of the game: scoring lots of points.
sschind
8 years ago

Aaron Rodgers does much more to help his team win than JJ Watt does. To me, that makes him the better player. Is he the best athlete? Obviously not. Did he have an extraordinary amazing season for the position? It was very very good, but similar to others. Everything is skewed to benefit the quarterback position, too. But the fact remains, Aaron Rodgers does more of the most important aspect of the game: scoring lots of points.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

To play devils advocate I would say a QB is in a much better position and has many more chances to do more to help his team win than a DE. Assume for a second an even number of snaps for offense and defense per game. A QB is a critical piece of the play on half of the snaps per game. They do not take plays off. Even the best defensive players probably take a few snaps off (just guessing I don't know if Watt played every defensive snap) and opposing offenses can take steps to minimize any defensive players impact with their play calling. The fact that so few can do it for Watt is a testament to his greatness.

People complain all the time that you can't compare QBs from different eras but they have no problem comparing players from different positions. You said yourself that Rodgers' stats, while amazing, were not head and shoulders above other QBs stats. That is not the case with Watt.

I also don't buy into the whole "no one would trade Rodgers for Watt but everyone would trade Watt for Rodgers" talk either. Again, its comparing apples to oranges. Would you rather have the best QB in the game or the best defensive player. In a QB driven league the answer should be obvious but again, like you said, with everything skewed towards the QB position its not a fair comparison.

You made it clear that your main criteria was helping his team score points and on that I can't argue. I'm not knocking your choice or your reasoning just putting a little different spin on it.

texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Watt is a fantastic player, and we're fortunate that he also has a connection to us. However, if he is out - for a game or a few games or a season, does he mean as much to winning and losing as Rodgers? Not even close. Yeah, QBs in general have an advantage that way, but there has never been a QB who performs like Aaron Rodgers.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago

I also don't buy into the whole "no one would trade Rodgers for Watt but everyone would trade Watt for Rodgers" talk either. Again, its comparing apples to oranges. Would you rather have the best QB in the game or the best defensive player. In a QB driven league the answer should be obvious but again, like you said, with everything skewed towards the QB position its not a fair comparison.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

But what is not to get? To me best player has the largest trade value. Who would a person starting a new franchise given his choice select? It is Rodgers every day of the week. I am not bashing Watt in any way, but the reality he will never be worth more in the eyes of a GM than Rodgers.
uffda udfa
8 years ago
As the article points out... there are QB's who are in Aaron's class, but there are no DE's in JJ Watt's. This guy can dominate like no one else as a 3-4 DE. That's remarkable.

Watt is 26...Rodgers is 31. I would guess they both have the same amount of good years left in them.

Houston ain't done jack with their great DE... We have done much better with our QB. Flip the players around and we're Houston and they're Green Bay. The Scott Tolzien Packers would suck with Watt on D. The Houston Texans would be a playoff force with Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

As the article points out... there are QB's who are in Aaron's class, but there are no DE's in JJ Watt's. This guy can dominate like no one else as a 3-4 DE.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Under this premise, I can't wait until a kicker has no one in his class!
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
Rating as to how well the player played his position I have no problem with Watt as number one. If I was lacking at both positions and had to choose one player for my team there's no question it would be Rodgers.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
dhazer
8 years ago
You guys seem to be missing the facts and that is this was done by the fellow players, and I think they have a little bit more knowledge and say so in this then we do 😝

I agree with what the players came up with and unlike everything that thinks Rodgers is god. You say Rodgers is by far the best player, but yet what do you base it off of? Stats well their are other qbs that put up better numbers. Wins and losses well once again there are qb with better records than the god. Lets try playoff records oops he isn't that good in them either. Is he a top 3 qb I would say yes, but to be honest I think I might even take Tom Brady over Rodgers. Hmmmmm lets see been to the conference championship 9 times in 13 years, and 6 super bowls in that same time period with 4 wins.

But anyway what has Rodgers done on defense? Watt has performed on offense and on defense and his peers recognize that thus the #1 ranking.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

Robbed. MVP is more prestigious though.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah I see this like the MVP vs offensive player of the year award ... often times the MVP plays offense but doesn't seem to get the offensive player of the year award, because they don't want the same person getting both most years. Same here, someone different getting it.

Also on that note, I think it's kind of unfair the MVP (and Heisman award for that matter) always seem like it's either a QB award or an offense player award if the QBs don't amaze. Kind of wish they had more awards for different positions...

Like maybe an award for the best players at each position
Breaking up inside OL and outside OTs, as well as having 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB as an "edge rushers" group, then inside DL and non 3-4 LB group, etc. Basically so they had to pick the best person at each position each season.

Then have some overall awards, like offensive/defense awards, which could be POTY (player of the year) or MVP type.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
8 years ago

You guys seem to be missing the facts and that is this was done by the fellow players, and I think they have a little bit more knowledge and say so in this then we do 😝

I agree with what the players came up with and unlike everything that thinks Rodgers is god. You say Rodgers is by far the best player, but yet what do you base it off of? Stats well their are other qbs that put up better numbers.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

We can debate all day about what stats matter the most but I'm of the strong opinion that QB rating and TD:INT ratio are the most important for a team's success. Both of which Rodgers is king at.

Wins and losses well once again there are qb with better records than the god.

By that logic, Datone Jones is a lot better than JJ Watt. If you're going to argue wins and losses and hold that against Rodgers, I can't see how you can't do the same with Watt which would be a larger hit on Watt than Rodgers.

Lets try playoff records oops he isn't that good in them either.

In this case, Watt's disqualified.

Is he a top 3 qb I would say yes, but to be honest I think I might even take Tom Brady over Rodgers. Hmmmmm lets see been to the conference championship 9 times in 13 years, and 6 super bowls in that same time period with 4 wins.

Not going to argue with that. Hard to choose between Luck, Brady, and Rodgers. I think Rodger's a bit overrated. Not to say he's not great, but he's not a god.

But anyway what has Rodgers done on defense? Watt has performed on offense and on defense and his peers recognize that thus the #1 ranking.

I still don't get the logic of why someone performing on both sides of the ball gives him a huge jump on someone that plays on only one. Are players that play at some times on offense, defense, and special teams better than Rodgers and Watt? Or is their overall impact on their team more important?
Fan Shout
beast (5h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (5h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (5h) : fuck
beast (6h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (6h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (6h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (6h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (7h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (8h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (8h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (8h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (8h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.