uffda udfa
8 years ago

Holy shit, I cannot believe I have to read that.

A) Why should the Packers have drafted Dez Bryant with an amazing group of WRs already on the roster and desparate needs on other positions? I know BPA is always a good thing, but not at that time.
B) What did we do with Dez Bryant without a Franchise RT in Bulaga and Aaron Rodgers getting hurt because he's not protected?
C) What does it help to have an elite WR and a few good ones if all the other positions suck?

and finally

D) Is Dez Bryant really that elite? He was the guy that sucked to catch that important ball and the Packers went to the NFC CCG. Remember?

Please stop trolling, it's getting really annoying.

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

Again, you miss the forest for the trees. Sometimes I just have to throw my hands up and surrender.

Here is the snippet from the article:

The Packers' team-building approach at the position stands in particular contrast to the franchise they defeated that cold day in January. The Packers have drafted nine receivers since Rodgers' ascension to starter in 2008, the seventh-highest total in the NFL, but never have they sought a dominant No. 1 receiver such as Dez Bryant. Instead, they have collected upper-end volume -- Nelson, Cobb and Adams were all second-round picks -- to build their scheme and financial structure around the idea that a high-level whole will prove better than any one part.

It is NOT about Dez freaking Bryant, specifically. This article is celebrating the idea that we have never SOUGHT A PLAYER OF HIS TALENTS IN THE DRAFT. We have gone for lesser talents than Dez. It doesn't mean we should've drafted Dez that year. The piece is celebrating NEVER doing it in the draft as if that's a "distinct and winning formula". It's utter BS that is beyond stupid.

What team doesn't want to draft a Dez Bryant type talent at WR? List for me all the teams in the NFL that wish they didn't have a Dez type talent. I can name only one...the Green Bay Packers. It is so much better NOT having a superstar talent at WR. It'd be downright dumb to ever try drafting an elite of elites game changing WR. It worked out so poorly at QB why try it at WR? The Packers are surely smart for not doing so and definitely better off????????????

The lack of comprehension is in Zoolander territory.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

GermanGilbert
8 years ago

What team doesn't want to draft a Dez Bryant type talent at WR? List for me all the teams in the NFL that wish they didn't have a Dez type talent. I can name only one...the Green Bay Packers.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

As Dez Bryant went #24 ovr I can name 23 teams that didn't. Don't know how many teams just didn't want to uptrade.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

As Dez Bryant went 24 I can name 23 teams that didn't. Don't know how many teams just didn't want to uptrade.

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

That's your answer? 24 teams don't want a Dez Bryant type talent? We're NOT talking about HIM specifically. The article is bragging about how smart we are not drafting an elite talent like him. That's foolishness.

The answer is simple but you don't want to deal with the crux of the matter. Why say I'm right? No reason. Just keep toting the media/Packer company line that is wrong and dumb.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
8 years ago
2 easy questions.

1 - when/who was the last team to win the Super Bowl with an "elite" wr?

2 - given their draft position, what makes you think the Packers are trying to draft the best players they can?
uffda udfa
8 years ago

2 easy questions.

1 - when/who was the last team to win the Super Bowl with an "elite" wr?

2 - given their draft position, what makes you think the Packers are trying to draft the best players they can?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

You mean aren't in question 2 ? The article made it quite clear that it is NOT trying to draft an elite WR. That is what I'm going cuckoo crazy over.

Question 1 is irrelevant. That's like saying the Patriots wouldn't want a Dez type talent. They have one at TE.

Would the Giants not want Aaron Rodgers who is clearly better than Eli because they won more SB's without him?

What teams in the NFL don't want a Dez type talent at WR? Just the Green Bay Packers and their fans are darn proud of that fact. 😕

UserPostedImage

musccy
8 years ago
The Packers are 6 months removed from 2 wr in the pro bowl with 90+ catch and 1200 + yard seasons and we're having a debate about the Packers not having enough "elite" wide receivers. Let me repeat that TWO receivers, on the SAME TEAM, in the SAME YEAR did that.

😕 [whead] [whead] [whead]
GermanGilbert
8 years ago

That's your answer? 24 teams don't want a Dez Bryant type talent? We're NOT talking about HIM specifically. The article is bragging about how smart we are not drafting an elite talent like him. That's foolishness.

The answer is simple but you don't want to deal with the crux of the matter. Why say I'm right? No reason. Just keep toting the media/Packer company line that is wrong and dumb.

To be honest, I didn't even read the article. I just see that you think that a Dez Bryant kind of player would get the Packers to another 4 or 5 rings. And there I disagree heavily. The Packers have a top 5 WR group in this league, so it makes no sense to add another elite player. Get the elite players to groups without very good talent, all good. But don't strengthen your best position just to keep your weaknesses a desaster.

blank
musccy
8 years ago

You mean aren't in question 2 ? The article made it quite clear that it is NOT trying to draft an elite WR. That is what I'm going cuckoo crazy over.

Question 1 is irrelevant. That's like saying the Patriots wouldn't want a Dez type talent. They have one at TE.

Would the Giants not want Aaron Rodgers who is clearly better than Eli because they won more SB's without him?

What teams in the NFL don't want a Dez type talent at WR? Just the Green Bay Packers and their fans are darn proud of that fact. 😕

Why is question 1 irrelevant? Because it invalidates your points? Having a stud at WR is great, do you need it to win a SB...history doesn't say it's needed. Your Eli comment shows you believe what I've probably already said 12 times in this thread. It's more important to excel at QB than WR.

Anyway, all of that aside, let me reiterate the Packers have two PBers from 2014, each with over 90 catches and 1,200 yards. Are they "elite" That's a subjective definition, but either way the Packers have two damn good WRs, in addition to your personal favorite Janis, and you're still on here bitching. It's mind numbing. 2 pro bowlers at one position STILL isn't good enough for you. Amazing.
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
This is a fair discussion, and the guy taking the pro-elite receiver position shouldn't be labeled a troll. It would be really interesting to see how wild Aaron Rodgers could go with a true superstar receiver - as opposed to Good receivers made Great by Rodgers.

I will throw out two items - one in favor of the one position, the other in favor of the other position:

It's highly likely that some troublemaker super receiver - Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Dez Bryant, etc. would keep their nose clean and be good citizens if they came to the Green Bay Packers ........ and

There's a good reason why it is so rare to find elite WRs on Super Bowl teams. The best teams tend to be smart enough to know not to draft top flight WRs in the first round because 1 perceived talent before the draft often doesn't correlate to NFL stardom and 2 the difference made by the best WRs compared to merely "good" WRs ain't that much.

I come out on the side of NOT drafting or going after in free agency superstar WRs, but it ain't as clear and obvious as some would make it sound.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Why is question 1 irrelevant? Because it invalidates your points? Having a stud at WR is great, do you need it to win a SB...history doesn't say it's needed. Your Eli comment shows you believe what I've probably already said 12 times in this thread. It's more important to excel at QB than WR.

Anyway, all of that aside, let me reiterate the Packers have two PBers from 2014, each with over 90 catches and 1,200 yards. Are they "elite" That's a subjective definition, but either way the Packers have two damn good WRs, in addition to your personal favorite Janis, and you're still on here bitching. It's mind numbing. 2 pro bowlers at one position STILL isn't good enough for you. Amazing.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Question 1 is irrelevant because it's answer has nothing to do with my question. How many teams would want a talent like Dez at WR? ALL 32...wait...31...I forgot about the genius Packers who don't want a star talent like that in their WR corps.

I'm not complaining at all about our WR corps...I'm ripping that article to shreds for how stupid it's premise and conclusion is.

You forget...I love RC18...Jeff Janis and think Jordy is a fine player. Davante does nothing for me. I would LOVE to see Rodgers get to throw to a WR as elite as he is as a QB. Did you all not want Randy Moss to be a Packer? Think back...You did. Now, however, now that the mind control org has it's media pumping out lies in full force you now are celebrating not having a talent like Moss and the next thing you'll type is...how many SB's did Randy Moss win?

Brett Favre, himself, lusted to play with Randy. The day we didn't get him just seemed to coincide with something that he would do that would change the course of our org forever. Brett surely is dumber about WR's than you. You guys and Rob Demovsky know that getting Randy would've just been stupid. We went to zero SB's without him in New England. Brett got to watch Brady and Moss light it up like no other. Could've been him but thankfully we had Taco Wallace who costed much less.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16m) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (5h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (12h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (12h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (13h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (16h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.