MassPackersFan
15 years ago
Link 

Now that the Titans have beaten all three of their divisional opponents at home, opening a commanding four-game lead in the AFC South, it's only natural to start wondering how far 7-0 Tennessee can extend its undefeated season.

A check of the schedule shows Tennessee has just four of its remaining nine games against winning teams, but one of its toughest challenges will come this week, when Green Bay (4-3) visits LP Field in Nashville. In a quirk of scheduling, both the Packers and the Titans are coming off impressive home wins over the Colts: Green Bay beat Indy 34-14 in Week 7, then enjoyed a bye last weekend. The Titans beat the Colts 31-21 Monday night, pushing their league-best regular-season winning streak to 10 games -- tying the second-best streak in franchise history.

The Packers are 2-1 on the road this season and they might be catching the Titans coming off the emotional high of having beaten their top divisional rival at home. Tennessee has been a model of consistency this season, but the Packers pose a threat for a number of reasons:

1) Aaron Rodgers gives Green Bay a clear edge in the quarterback matchup against Tennessee's Kerry Collins. The Packers' first-year starter is playing at an extremely high level, completing 65.6 percent of his passes for 1,668 yards, with 12 touchdowns, four interceptions and a 98.8 passer rating that ranks seventh in the NFL. That's better than both Eli and Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler, Donovan McNabb, Ben Roethlisberger, Jake Delhomme and some guy named Favre in New York.

And coming off the bye, Rodgers is approaching healthy once again after suffering a dislocated throwing shoulder in a Week 4 loss at Tampa Bay. He had his best day of practice since the injury on Thursday, and his dissection of the Colts two weeks ago (21 completions to eight receivers) increased the growing feeling around the league that he brings a steady, surprisingly veteran element to the Packers passing game. Rodgers leads the NFL in third-down passing with a 120.3 rating, and nine of his 12 scoring throws have come on third down.

"I'm impressed with Rodgers, I really am,'' said ex-Baltimore head coach Brian Billick, now a FOX game analyst. "I think he has a complete game. He's very poised, and as Bill Walsh liked to say, he has all the throws. He's shown a command of that offense, and he's doing it without much of a running game to work with. I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.''

2) The Packers secondary should be back to full strength this week with the return of both cornerback Al Harris and strong safety Atari Bigby. Harris is returning from the torn spleen he suffered against Dallas in Week 3, and Bigby missed the past four games with a hamstring injury. In Harris and Bigby's absence, Green Bay developed nice young backup options in cornerback Tramon Williams and safety Aaron Rouse, but the return of the veterans only adds to a unit that has already returned five interceptions for touchdowns this season, one shy of Green Bay's franchise record.

As well as the Titans run the ball, you have to think that sooner or later their lack of a true No. 1 receiving option will cost them in a game. They likely won't have a wide receiver with more than 60 receptions for the fourth year in a row. Starters Justin Gage and Justin McCareins have a combined 23 catches, and all Titans receivers total just 43 receptions -- only slightly more than Titans tight ends (41 catches). In fact, the Titans are the first team since the 1985 Deiter Brock-quarterbacked Los Angeles Rams to start 7-0 despite not topping 200 yards passing in any game.

3) While I expect the Titans' two-headed and fourth-ranked running game (145.0 yards per game) to pound away at a Packers defensive front that has been susceptible to the run (141.9 yards per game, 25th in the league), Green Bay's run defense has shown improvement of late. After allowing an average of 161.4 yards rushing per game in their first five games, the Packers held Seattle and Indianapolis (admittedly a pair of run-challenged teams) to just 113 and 73 yards, respectively, for a 93.0 yard average.

Chris Johnson and LenDale White have combined for an NFL-best 14 rushing touchdowns this season, and Johnson, a rookie, leads the AFC in rushing with 626 yards. The Packers might employ a four-linebacker package in an effort to limit Tennessee's running success, much like the Colts tried Monday night with decent results. The Titans gained just 88 yards rushing on 31 attempts, a 2.8-yard average, but they did punch in three touchdowns on the ground.

Having nearly ended their division race after just eight weeks, the Titans face a new challenge: Playing the role of the hunted rather than the hunter. How will they cope with the second-half spotlight that inevitable falls on the NFL's last remaining undefeated team, with exponentially more attention and expectation coming their way with every victory? We're about to find out, because dead ahead is their toughest three-game stretch of the season: Green Bay, at Chicago, and at Jacksonville.

"The Colts are not the team to beat any more,'' Titans veteran linebacker Keith Bulluck said this week. "I think we made a statement within the division, and I think we have made a statement all year with our play. The Colts were the team to beat, and I think now the Titans are the team to beat.''

Bulluck is right about that. It's the unblemished Titans who now wear the bull's-eye. And starting with Green Bay this week, the rest of the NFL will begin taking aim.
UserPostedImage
El3ment12
15 years ago
This game is gonna be good and close
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
It was a shoulder sprain, not a shoulder separation. Geez, why not call him HeMan while were at it.
UserPostedImage
MassPackersFan
15 years ago
When did they say bruise? I heard sprain the entire time.

He never even hit his shoulder on that play... unless the pads did it.
UserPostedImage
gbpfan
15 years ago
i just know the titans :thumbright: better be ready we will be a force to recon with not saying we wont give up on the run but not like they think we stopped some pretty good runners so i think we can stop them
dannychau22
15 years ago

And coming off the bye, Rodgers is approaching healthy once again after suffering a dislocated throwing shoulder in a Week 4 loss at Tampa Bay. He had his best day of practice since the injury on Thursday, and his dissection of the Colts two weeks ago (21 completions to eight receivers) increased the growing feeling around the league that he brings a steady, surprisingly veteran element to the Packers passing game. Rodgers leads the NFL in third-down passing with a 120.3 rating, and nine of his 12 scoring throws have come on third down.

very impressive for a first year starter
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.