Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

I think we have a good idea of how Shields and Hayward are. I still go into this season very nervous about the depth of the DB position. This makes me interested to see how our rookie DBs can perform throughout the preseason. Randall has had a good camp but Rollins is still very raw. We've seen our DBs go down often, sometimes both starters at once. The back-up DBs are very important.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I agree with you, but keep a close eye on the D-line as well.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
8 years ago
Ripkowski A+ on Kick off coverage; but decided to watch the Cowboys instead of his offensive series [Bastards].

Every DLman looks like Reggie if playing a bunch of sopranos from the Vienna Boys Choir and NE started game without one expected starter, so these quick takes must be factored in to that.

Raji- was incredibly quick off the snap [has nothing to do w/ competition] and this is a trait the HOF DLman possess. I hated him in 2013; but what we have today is the guy we thought we’d have in 2015 when we saw him play as a rookie.

Thornton and Pennell-look like they made huge strides from yr 1 to 2; but competition was mediocre at best.

Rollins- what poise, what presence; he is effing fearless. No rookie in his mind or soul. He is Mike McKenzie strutting into camp as the 3rd DB picked already knowing he’s the best. He drifts back looking back at QB, just feeling where the 4.3 WR is through his 6th 7th and 8th senses. Only difference McKenzie didn’t have this guys ball skills. He'll make those INTs in coming games

Laderius “Millstone” Gunter- WAYYYYYY TO SLOW. Because it is impossible for a 4.7 combine dude to blanket a 4.3 combine dude, the INT will not show up in the official stats. Sorry just havin’ some fun here! But, if ya didn’t tape it, the game will be played again on NFL network watch after the Gunter INT once he and Boyce get up to speed, it was for only about 5 yards 'til he got hit; but Boyce didn't close.

NFL Network: Fraudulently misrepresent thru deceptive advertising that one game will be shown and slip in another. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Gotta look more closely but I expected Rodgers to show some rage while blocking; he looked like he did when Lacy was caught for that safety in Detroit. He looked tentative and ineffective blocking. Very disappointed!

Perillo will be fine as #3 TE in 2015 and he'll be Jacob Tamme at least afterward.

Need more time to view ILBs, Gut feeling: Ryan looked aggressive and athletic; Bradford is just not the maniac he was at ASU and Palmer seemed flaccid. Gotta look closer at Thomas, remember him flashing once; but didn’t show the explosion he did in his two uninjured plays and STs play last year.

Starks played w/ reckless abandon, it’s a contract yr for him. Rajon Neal sucked! Crockett has some Lacy [cant wait to look at him closer when SD/Dallas aint playin’, [bastards]]; Harris got some Starks in him.

Montgomery: what a great block on the Harris TD; looked confident fielding kicks. He was playing personal protector on punt team.

Need more time to look at Fanor and Sebetic; but gut feeling is they played well.

Surprised to see Walker w/ the 2s instead of Rotherram or Gerhardt. He was beaten in pass rush like a drum didn’t see him excel in run blocking; but the staff saw something they liked in practice and wanted to get an extended look at his game tape. Can’t wait to compare his game 1 to 4 play.

If Hubbard takes one more snap from Rasco or Vaughters I’ll scream. I had little hope for him; but there was a chance w/ little cost that this paper tiger would learn to use his talent to play football instead of patty-cake. It was a worthwhile experiment; now I’m done w/ it.

The 4th down plays make ya wonder if Mastay is a lock w/ the other punter getting cut; LOL. Loved the aggressiveness.

The one bad Baktieri sack was more a mental error than a physical one. When a LT cuts a DE, it is to hit a quick screen or slant to left. If it was a quick pass, Aaron Rodgers should know if he doesn’t make the throw he better get right, pretty damn quick. Because Aaron Rodgers stood in the pocket, I’ll bet Bak didn’t pick-up on an audible.
Mike McCarthy decided that the slow starts were due to not knocking off the rust in PS; glad to see Aaron Rodgers play a quarter
musccy
8 years ago
Bradford pisses me off. I've been a silent fan of his since he was picked, but he looks worse than "just a body." I remember a play where he over-pursued their RB, gets lucky the RB cuts back to him, Bradford dives and the RB jumps over him. I don't think Bradford touched him. I expected him to be a intimidating meat head with an endless motor. Instead he has the impact of a lost chihuahua puppy.

What I saw of Rollins I liked (when NFLN wasn't cutting to Melvin Gordon being ineffective)...would have been nice to come up with a pick, but a tough play. Gunter's pick was obviously a great play as well. These are possibly/likely some of our 53 going against the 2nd tier of an already weak WR group in NE, but still encouraging signs.

I think our back ups QBs are at least an upgrade over Seneca Wallace.

DarkaneRules
8 years ago

I think our back ups QBs are at least an upgrade over Seneca Wallace.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Oh gosh is it ever! Our QB situation has dramatically improved. Encouraging signs all around despite some shaky o-line performances.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Yerko
8 years ago
My highlights:
I don't know how much I would get hated on in this forum for this but my goodness, Tolzien has made a jump (for a back-up quarterback). He seems comfortable in the pocket and is reading the defense. I think his accuracy has improved and damn, the dude has speed. I feel good about our back-up situation with him and most likely Hundley continuing to progress. That's not to say I hope Rodgers goes down or anything...just that if he does, I would be a sliver more at peace than I have been in the past seasons. Tolzien- A

Rollins was very impressive. While he is still facing back-ups he showed that he does belong. Very instinctive, athletic player and I think the reason he will stick out the most to us Packers fans is the fact that he can tackle, which we really can't say about our other DBs. I said in my previous post that he is a raw player (only played 1 year of college ball) and he is...but he was doing everything right last night. Rollins- A+

Defensive line looked great. They weren't playing the best offensive linemen but we shouldn't discredit what we were watching. They look fast off the ball and athletic. Not getting locked up with the offensive linemen, creating pressure and redirecting the runningbacks. Overall- B+

Starks is a very good runningback and I think we are some lucky fans to have him as our complimentary back to Lacy. Starks- A

Offensive starters: Rodgers, Lacy, Cobb, Adams, Nelson, Lang, Sitton and Linsley all look like they are ready to go. Just a bit more fine tuning. Overall- A

My lowlights:
The linebackers had very little shining moments. The 55 yard TD run by Gray is something that sticks out to me. While these were backup players, they are players we do need to rely on due to Matthews injury history and recent move to ILB. The edge was WIDE OPEN a lot of the night. Barrington and Ryan looked alright. Linebackers- C

Offensive Redzone has been an issue for the past couple years now. It seems the Packers stall out more than they score when inside the redzone. This was a glaring weakness last night as the Packers starting offense stalled 3 times in the redzone. Need to capitalize when you are easily moving the ball down the field beforehand. Redzone offense- F

Starting tackles (and back ups) were atrocious. Bakhtiari was the main culprit and at one point almost got Rodgers killed. Had Rodgers not seen the guy coming, the hit would have been brutal. He was constantly lowering his head and losing the guy across from him. Footwork was also sloppy. Edge pressure is another thing that has always seemed to be an issue for this offense and there were a few times Rodgers had to scramble around that pressure to actually have time to throw. The good thing is it is week 1 preseason and this is good film to learn from and I believe Bakh and Bulaga will do just that. Tackles- D
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago
I thought Starks looked poor and Neal, Harris and Crockett all looked better. #2 RB is up for grabs. I like Neal because he's natural in the pass game.

Where was Jimmy Hunt? I thought he was all the rage in practice of the UDFA's. Pinkard is the clear UDFA to watch now over Myles White. Pink gets open a lot.

Rollins should've picked 2 last night. Had he done so that is all anyone would be talking about. Still, how impressive the guy has ONE year of college football is the conf. player of the year and plays like that in his first NFL action? Plus, he made some nice tackles and reads as well as his PBU's.

88 cent just floats on the field...looks like a magical player just in the way he moves out there. Footwork needs improvement. He's light years from Jordy's mastery.

Ryan looked better than AJ Hawk ever did.

ST's are going to be poor again. I believe I heard them say Gosselin rated our ST's 32nd last year. You don't win championships with that poor of ST play and we saw it in Seattle full force.

Surprised how well DL played... bunch of scrubbinis there but NE OL isn't very good on the 1st unit much less 2nd.

Hundley doesn't look like a waste...looked good on his throws. Tolzien had all day to throw it and looked good doing it.

So tired of seeing this team march down the field like a juggernaut only to look amateurish in close. It's maddening.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

luigis
8 years ago
I was lucky to watch the whole game and I tried to pay close attention to details.

I'll write my comments, ups & lows and details here.

- Suddenly Tolzien is a reliable backup, amazing transformation from unreliable prospect to "I can do this job"
- As many others have stated Carl Bradford is not in the right level to play at the NFL, seemed to be afraid of contact.
- I liked Hubbard, he is really huge and takes a lot of visibility from the QB in pass plays and he is also fast.
- Jayrone Elliot is better than Palmer and Perry he is deserving a starting spot if he keeps playing at this level.
- It will be hard to cut Crockett and Harris, some team might end up with a good RB.
- Perillo established himself as the 3rd TE, what a pity he went down with a concussion.
- Is it me or the safeties were out of position most of the time?
- Chris Banjo played a lot of snaps (51).
- I saw they had Myles White running routes all night long, he played a lot, this must mean they are considering him for a roster spot.
- Why was Kuhn playing in the 3rd and 4th quarter? I would have liked to see if Ripkosky is more than a ST player.
- Tom Clements did a good job calling the plays and I like to have Mike McCarthy watching closely and giving advice this could be a nice duet.
- Mike Pennel played a good game, we should be fine even with Guion and Jones suspended.
- Jake Ryan played a very good game I think he might be for real in the middle of the field. Not AJ 2.0
- Gunter is a playmaker and if you push me a little I might say he is our 2nd best CB in the team.
- Rollins played a good game, he played very close to his man in every single play.
- If Adams takes another day off we might see Montgomery as our 3rd WR very soon.
- It will be a nice battle between Janis and White for the 5th WR spot. I'm not sure we'll keep 6 but maybe.
- I believe Lane Taylor is a luxury as a backup, he played a great game.
- Barclay is not doing well if a tackle goes down we are in trouble, this is our Achilles heel this season.
Luis
DarkaneRules
8 years ago

- Why was Kuhn playing in the 3rd and 4th quarter? I would have like to see if Ripkosky is more than a ST player.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Perhaps they felt they'd be able to evaluate the other QBs and RBs with him in there blocking. Just a thought.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
The Packers won a preseason away game at NE .
Lets look at who gained and who lost ground. IMO, the Offense needs more practice to achieve a smooth coordinated maximum effect. In addition, the defense needs more work on stopping the outside run. Also, I'd like to better returns on kickoff and punt returns, and I'm sure that we will.

I've not talked about individual players , but I'm sure that others will .

[cheers]
UserPostedImage
Dulak
8 years ago
Well took a few days but I finally watched the game ...

After watching the game I felt much better about our positions of need: After our CB route and ILB vacancies; I wasnt feeling too good going into this season.

But seeing the guys on the field in the game - Wow. Some guys looked really good and have potential.

Who I liked:

- The new ILB # 47 was it. Some team captain I think of the wolverines. Reminded me of a AJ hawk and a CM3 mix.
- Was it rollins or randel - the dude almost had 3 picks. Kept going up and turned around it seemed always at the right time. Was in the mix on some great tackles also. Really like this pick now.
- Gunter; 6'2 corner dude that got a pick. I hope we keep him because we need some height to compete with some of these 6'3-6'5 receivers.
- #88 Ty looked really good in both as a returner and a receiver.
- I dont know which runner back looked better; geez they all looked pretty good. leaning a bit toward harris but the first dude that played looked great also.
- Tolzien - Geez ... looked a Whole heck of alot better this season. Almost looked better then Arod at times; but then at other times showed his in-experience. Def like this dude. Worried he might get poached. Better command of the offense and better passer.

Great game thou!

Seeing our new corners out there playing restored my faith in that position: I was a bit worried losing our 2 starters.
oh ya loved the press coverage our new corners were playing - reminded me of al harris.

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (42m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.