musccy
8 years ago

You want discourse then give it. Tell us how you feel about our TE position.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Instead of rambling about why you think Raji and Quarless suck, or how everyone except for you or DakotaT love it when the Packers lose in the divisional round, how about you say how Ted et al could have, or now should work to fix positions, specifically the TE since that's what this thread was about.

earthquake
8 years ago

If you told us exactly what it was and not speak in generalizations there would be no need for us to pigeonhole you the way we do... but, I really do believe the reason you don't is because we're right and saying nothing is the best course of action for you. That is my opinion. It might be wrong.

You want discourse then give it. Tell us how you feel about our TE position. Tell us how you feel about our overloaded with 1st round picks defense and tell us why it sucks, if you even think it does in the first place? Tell us how you feel about having the greatest QB of all time and routinely getting knocked out of the playoffs? Why does that happen?

A lot of this stuff has already been put out there. The majority here IS happy with the way things are. Good is the enemy of great. I see it in your postings all the time. Good is not good enough. Comparing us to Cleveland and their jealousy is an awfully childish way to speak about YOUR team. Cleveland and it's fans aren't relevant as aren't any others. Why is it you don't want to maximize this team's ability to get to the show and win? Why? Oh, it's NOT a video game where we can have studs everywhere? No duh. We have an all world QB and what else is great or even close that? I love RC18 but he's not the elite of elite. Nobody on D is even close to that. We have one superstar and a bunch of good players. Lacy might be ready to make the leap to superstar this season. It's PATHETIC that we have a TE position group like we do. Not a single good player there...a middling talent in Quarless an unknown in Rodgers and junk after that that ain't ready to take us anywhere. The D? DL is as bad as I can remember. Raji jumped the shark years ago. Guion is a meathead who played last year to resurrect a career that was on the verge of ending. Datone Jones is a JOKE of a 1st round pick. Who else? Pennel and Gaston? Are you kidding me? Those are the guys who are taking us places? A 2nd OLB has been an issue for how long now? Now, we're going to have to use our only good one at ILB. Oh, wait...we have a middle aged tall guy at OLB this season. Team doesn't even know if it wants to play him full time anymore. It's unreal. We have to take our star OLB and make him an ILB because we suck so bad there. All the while, lets not forget we just can't ever spend money on proven players unless their careers are over. We'd rather use some UDFA who sucks vs. a real player because of cost. We have the cap but we'll sit on it and live with guys who suck instead of spending where we could to help. (Here comes the tired question: Who could we have added?) this isn't just about THIS offseason, it's about the last 10. We all saw what Charles Woodson meant to us. Pickett, too. Good thing nobody wanted either or we wouldn't have gotten either of them. It just sucks sometimes to be a Packer fan despite how awesome it is to celebrate that Browns fans must be jealous.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

What a lovely conversation you're having with yourself. Let me know when you develop the capacity to converse with others rather than shout rhetoric at them and I very well may take you up on your most generous offer to express my views.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Instead of rambling about why you think Raji and Quarless suck, or how everyone except for you or DakotaT love it when the Packers lose in the divisional round, how about you say how Ted et al could have, or now should work to fix positions, specifically the TE since that's what this thread was about.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Are you joking? I beat the drum so hard for Jimmy Graham the last few years I broke it. Seattle, not us, went out and got him. Rich get richer...while we decide to stay the same. Here comes the ...they lost their C and...

Would've LOVED to see Jermaine Gresham here. Quarless is a JAG. Richard Rodgers is as inspiring as DJ Williams to me.

Maxx Williams was a guy I wouldn't have minded in the draft. I wanted MyCole Pruitt ...kid scored a TD with the Vikes. I posted this on another forum. We were all asked to say who we wanted in the draft at the positions we drafted so there would be a record of who we thought was better. MyCole Pruitt was a guy I wanted. Instead, we're rolling with a guy in Quarless (who I still refuse to believe isn't going to be cut) and Richard freaking Rodgers and then Perillo and Harold Spears or my guy from WKU?

Trade for a guy like Charles Clay... work your Philbin connection. I think Miami has a million TE's. There is no way you're telling me we couldn't have obtained a better TE than Quarless or Rodgers. We're just going to let it roll with those guys. I don't get it.

BTW, I don't think anyone is happy when Pack goes out in playoffs every year but I do think the first thing that is thought of is ...Gee, what a great year even though the bad ending... that is never what I think. I think for the love of get someone who can play D and make a difference so we aren't hamstrung by that side of the ball. I think I wish we didn't have Mike McCarthy as a HC and the WORST ST'S IN THE NFL. You have the greatest QB, a horrible D and horrible ST's but somehow we've got the greatest GM in the game. Makes NO sense. NONE. Carried by our QB all the time. One guy. The total team is a sad state of affairs. Yes, I like our O a bunch minus the gaping hole at TE, weak LT, and G's who get praised for being so great but get manhandled vs any formidable front. Oh, but we win vs. the likes of Det, MN and Chi. so we must be great? We consistently lose vs. the better teams in the NFL...sure, we'll wins at home sometimes vs. them but almost never on the road.

It really does seem like some holes are just completely avoided like we're just going to ride her on 3 tires until another one blows and then maybe we'll do something.

Richard Rodgers gets hurt this year and then what? This assumes he's even anywhere near as good as some here think. I don't. Assuming RR is good...he goes down...then what? Quarless is out for how many games, if he's even on the roster. We have NOTHING but UDFA's behind these guys. Gresham made TONS of sense. Vet who can play. We had more than enough money. Hold onto it. Just pluck someone's PS TE when the time comes if you "don't like the guys we've got" which he said about his ILB's for years. Safety after Collins... Sorry, but him liking the guys he's got horrifies me.

EDIT: Quake...you need no invitation from me to do anything. If you wanted to express your views you surely would've long before this thread.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
8 years ago
The key to any scholarly debate is that both sides honesty recognize the facts.

Fact #1: The ONLY way to win SB is to have several 1st contract studs.

Fact#2: If a 250 yard Rodgers is replaced with a 1200 yrd Graham, the offense does not improve by 950 yards because as Graham gets those 950 yards targets/receptions/yards will taken from Jordy, Cobb, Lacy, et al. At best a few extra 1st downs and plays are gained improving the O by 4-500 yards. Note: Graham replacing a broken down Shockey at TE actually caused NO’s Offenses to average fewer yards/gm over past 5 years.

FACT #3: Graham’s cost to Seattle =: huge downgrade Maxwell to Williams; Super Huge down grade Unger to JLP or Novak; the loss of the highest 2015 potential 1st contract stud; Chancellor not being in camp; and the loss of starting DT, McDaniel. Seattle paid 16M for C. Williams [6M] and Graham [10M] as opposed to keeping Wilson at TE, CB Maxwell [10.5M], C Unger [1.6M], DT McDaniel [1.9M] and 2.M would be left to add to Happify Chancellor’s contract. So the improve from Wilson to Graham; Hawks get much worse at C, CB and S; worse at DT; and lose 2015's highest potential 1st contract stud.

FACT #4: every team has weaknesses [plural] in cap era!

Fact #5: On O, if you’re gonna have one weakness, you want it at TE [FB is no longer a position].

FACT #6: In a 3-4 D, if yer gonna have one weakness, you want it at ILB.
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
This may rub both sides in this glorious debate the wrong way hahahahaha.

I've said for a long time, you have a great regular season record by overall quality and consistency. That probably carries forward into the early rounds of the playoffs. However, when you get far enough along, conference championship, Super Bowl, LUCK has a LOT to do with it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
QCHuskerFan
8 years ago

I've said for a long time, you have a great regular season record by overall quality and consistency. That probably carries forward into the early rounds of the playoffs. However, when you get far enough along, conference championship, Super Bowl, LUCK has a LOT to do with it.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

This may be one of the smartest posts you have ever made!
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Yeah, let's just rest on LUCK... that way it's not anyone's fault. It's just plain dumb luck. I'm sure the past 49 SB Winners all won because they just got lucky? Our Packers dominated the first two SB's...no luck involved at all. We rocked New England...there was no luck involved in that one.

Pittsburgh was interesting. We had lost so many guys to IR and then during the game. When Jarrett Bush makes a play anytime there must be an element of luck so I'm confused now. We barely got in that year. Had the Bears had something to play for we likely aren't in the playoffs that year at all. Rodgers got hot and we rolled behind him.

None of these luck or no luck debates has a thing to do with having nobody at your TE position or a poorly performing D loaded with high picks in it. Those are things you can do something about.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Ya and this goes especially for the Colts...LOL

And Tex, I agree 100%. Sometimes its luck that a guy doesn't bring his A game or a guy is sick or tweaks a hammy in Wednesday before the game. Little is said about Cobb's mistakes in the Champ game, "dropped" a key tough pass he usually catches, ran a route wrong for an INT, couldn't get separation at end of 4th Q; then ya find out he was hurling his guts out all night undoubtedly because of something Carroll slipped in his food LOL. Its bad luck line judge misses an offside call allowing the Sherman INT; one could go on. Maybe if the onside was a little higher or had a little more or less spin Bostic makes the catch or decides to let Jordy get it. The fact is a team can only control a certain % of what happens to them.

It's luck that establishes the FACT that the best team doesn't always win! Even the greatest teams like 1963 and 64 Packers couldn't win even with the great Vince Lombardi. Ted Thompson could could make gambling acquisition to possibly make the 2015 team better and certainly harm future teams; but those additions wouldn't make a difference to winning in 2015. The reality is, winning in football is usually about a team being right in the head and playing harmoniously, rather than great individual players doing their thing. This is why most teams that were good the year before, add "key pieces" so as to look unbeatable on paper, and then they get worse because that team is less right in the head though more talented.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting we do nothing and rely 100% on Luck...LOL The steady GM puts his team in position to win every year; it's the dumb GMs that gamble and 99% of the time their gambles take a good team and make them worse or turn them into stinkers [see Bears, Denver, Seattle and SF in 2014].
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Ya and this goes especially for the Colts...LOL

And Tex, I agree 100%. Sometimes its luck that a guy doesn't bring his A game or a guy is sick or tweaks a hammy in Wednesday before the game. Little is said about Cobb's mistakes in the Champ game, "dropped" a key tough pass he usually catches, ran a route wrong for an INT, couldn't get separation at end of 4th Q; then ya find out he was hurling his guts out all night undoubtedly because of something Carroll slipped in his food LOL. Its bad luck line judge misses an offside call allowing the Sherman INT; one could go on. Maybe if the onside was a little higher or had a little more or less spin Bostic makes the catch or decides to let Jordy get it. The fact is a team can only control a certain % of what happens to them.

It's luck that establishes the FACT that the best team doesn't always win! Even the greatest teams like 1963 and 64 Packers couldn't win even with the great Vince Lombardi. Ted Thompson could could make gambling acquisition to possibly make the 2015 team better and certainly harm future teams; but those additions wouldn't make a difference to winning in 2015. The reality is, winning in football is usually about a team being right in the head and playing harmoniously, rather than great individual players doing their thing. This is why most teams that were good the year before, add "key pieces" so as to look unbeatable on paper, and then they get worse because that team is less right in the head though more talented.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting we do nothing and rely 100% on Luck...LOL The steady GM puts his team in position to win every year; it's the dumb GMs that gamble and 99% of the time their gambles take a good team and make them worse or turn them into stinkers [see Bears, Denver, Seattle and SF in 2014].

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I've read it all now... we've seen the erudite Barfarn jump about the LUCK bandwagon...I never...

Let's just not draft or add UDFA's...it's just about luck, anyway. Why try hard? When we lose there is no one to blame. It was all luck...Slocum shouldn't have been fired. Sherman should still be here...it was just bad luck for him that things went as they did when Ted Thompson purposely hamstrung the roster.

Now, I don't believe a person has total and full control of much in life but to throw your hands up and say LUCK is how we're going to be champs is LUDICROUS. 2010 was just a lucky run. I can see now why you guys love Ted Thompson as you do... He has the QB...we might get lucky. Just like in the Favre days when idiot fans bought the: When you have Brett, you always have a chance pile of dung.

Heck, I'm mad now. We should've pinched the penny and saved our cap by not resigning RC18 or BB. Why do that? It's just luck, anyway? Save that cap...make a profit. The fans are fat dumb and happy anyway. They're believing it's all luck now.

Hey 12...stop training hard. It's just luck that determines champions. Hey Jordy...just take TC off. It's about luck anyway. Preparation? Ah, that's not true...it ain't prep...it's luck. Mike McCarthy has never shat himself. It's just bad luck.
UserPostedImage

DakotaT
8 years ago
What happened to the other 4 pages of this thread? Packers fans should be pissed about how our season ended last year, not giving Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson a pass. But then Packers fans are used to that sort of behavior, with all the irresponsible play of #4. As bad as that 4th and 26 playoff game was, that Seattle game was exponentially worse. Elite quarterbacks tend to make coaches and GM's appear a lot better than they really are.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (28m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.