sschind
8 years ago

Hope it wasn't a Jay Cutler tap out...That Seattle loss is still a tough pill to choke down.

Originally Posted by: gotarace 

I assume you are talking about the 2011 NFCC game when referencing Cutler. I'd bet dollars to donuts Cutler was injured far more than Clay was. At least Cutler tried to play with his pain.

Uffda couldn't resist getting in another plug for Jimmy Graham but to be honest if the Packers could have made the trade of Matthews for Graham I'd have been fine with it.
Bigbyfan
8 years ago

I assume you are talking about the 2011 NFCC game when referencing Cutler. I'd bet dollars to donuts Cutler was injured far more than Clay was. At least Cutler tried to play with his pain.

Uffda couldn't resist getting in another plug for Jimmy Graham but to be honest if the Packers could have made the trade of Matthews for Graham I'd have been fine with it.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

It would have helped the tight end position for sure, but it would make our already suspect defense even worse.
blank
stevegb
8 years ago
Just to play devils advocate. Wouldn't it be considered doing the team thing, if he doesn't think he can play better then the guy sitting behind him, and having faith in his teammates?
blank
yooperfan
8 years ago

For me the question is, did he take himself out in crunch time to get back at the coaches for making him play ILB? Because if so, we don't need him.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

This has been in the back of my mind since the NFCCG.
I don't want to believe that, but his "me first" statement has me wondering again.
Certainly he makes a weak Packers defense better when he's on the field but he can't stay on the field for whatever reason.
He has never struck me as a leader which the defense desperately needs.

Barfarn
8 years ago
This is just a bunch of crap!

First, its important to read the entire interview before commenting. Don't just go all hysterical on the sensational and selective quote removed from its context designed to stir emotion. It's the same as building opinions from headlines. CM3 was injured and wanted to be in there, the comment was NOT about protecting his body from injury to the detriment of the team! Sure he could have expressed himself more tactfully; but he played football at USC, he was not a linguist from Berkley.

Second, YA GOTTA WATCH THE GAMES!

Did anyone ever see CM3 play like 2013 Raji? Ever? The guy has shown you over and over and over and over he plays without regard for his body. And any of you paying attention know he's the same way in the film room...an animal!!!!

Third, did he like the move to ILB? But he sacrificed for the team and did it anyways.

Fourth, ever fly on a plane? they say put your mask on first. The best way to help your child in an emergency is to stay healthy yourself. Likewise, the best way to help your team is to stay HEALTHY. A player needs to know when to take himself out.

Fifth, Favre is not the hero for playing with a bad thumb! He's and ego-centric, my streak comes first, guy; that only helped his team LOSE GAMES. A real man...a real team player, sits out when his back-up can do better.

Sixth, remember him playing through the pain and inconvenience with a broken thumb? How'd that work out? He was out at critical juncture of season.

Now stop and THINK here! Clay, JP need a breather. Do you have them take it on the Seattle or GB side of the field? This only became an issue because of the long TD.

Seventh, what if Steve's correct with his brilliant and intuitive thought? He took a bullet for the team and went back out w/ a concussion jeopardizing not his football health, but his long term personally after football health. And now he's takes a 2nd bullet for the team by not saying he was out with a concussion. That makes negative treatment of this heroic and selfless act like the 3rd bullet fired from the Grassy Knoll.

Eighth, this taking care of #1 is a mantra instilled last year in the players to prevent injury... how'd that work out? GB tried to instill in the minds of the players to take care of #1 or take care of your body. Sleep, hydrate, dont drink like a fish, eat well, etc., and as it relates to this, things like MUSCLE FATIGUE or the feel of partial tears of ligaments and muscles increase the chance of serious injury exponentially. GB tried to instill KNOWING your body, that certain things like PAIN are a sign from the body to stop doing that.

Disclaimer for libelous nonathletic dweeb children knuckleheads that purportedly in support their positions, which they know they cant sustain with honest and fact-based debate, who try to take little things out of context, twisting them and then use that strawman to bring ridicule on a fellow poster: I am not advocating nor is GB advocating that anyone with a little ouchy not play; there is almost no such thing as a pain free football player; they hurt ALL THE TIME, and must play thru the pain. But, there are certain times the player must listen to his body and take measures to avoid more serous injury.

Example: Kam Chancellor, playing SB w/ a partially torn MCL, reduces his effectiveness to the point where his BU might be as effective. But, increased exponentially the odds he'll be lost through 2015. And now for his sacrifice, he wants to be paid more!!! I say, dont back down Kam!
musccy
8 years ago
I get all you're saying barfarn, and if the Kam analogy or concussion theory are at all true, I regret my knee jerk comments above.

With that said, with the limited information we have to draw our own conclusions, his explanation just doesn't convince me. It's the NFCC, not an OTA practice. I want to read something quantitative, something tangible. I ran through some assessments with the trainers, I failed concussion protocols, they speculated I sprained my ankle, tore a meniscus...something. instead with 8 months to concoct an explanation to counter the rumor that he was tired, we get some wispy vagueness of a few straws on a camel's back. He hit a TE and had a knee thing?!? Did you sprain it...what?!? Again, after 8 months I'd expect something substantive.

He doesn't owe us a satisfying explanation in much the same way my opinion of him ultimately makes no difference. That said, if he cares about his public perception, these quotes did nothing to help sell more 52 jerseys at the Pro Shop.
steveishere
8 years ago
I do agree though that the way he said whatever he was trying to say comes off terribly and is certainly not something you want to hear from a player who is supposed to be a team leader. Until I see him actually half assing it on the field though it's hard to criticize him because he does give 100% out there. Visual evidence to me outweighs any quotes.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I do agree though that the way he said whatever he was trying to say comes off terribly and is certainly not something you want to hear from a player who is supposed to be a team leader. Until I see him actually half assing it on the field though it's hard to criticize him because he does give 100% out there. Visual evidence to me outweighs any quotes.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

What I see from Clay Matthews III is always being relentless. It's one of the things I admire about his play. He's always chugging away. I just wonder if he's one of those guys like in the NBA where they get a hangnail and they sit out two or three games because they are 100%.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
8 years ago

I get all you're saying barfarn, and if the Kam analogy or concussion theory are at all true, I regret my knee jerk comments above.

With that said, with the limited information we have to draw our own conclusions, his explanation just doesn't convince me. It's the NFCC, not an OTA practice. I want to read something quantitative, something tangible. I ran through some assessments with the trainers, I failed concussion protocols, they speculated I sprained my ankle, tore a meniscus...something. instead with 8 months to concoct an explanation to counter the rumor that he was tired, we get some wispy vagueness of a few straws on a camel's back. He hit a TE and had a knee thing?!? Did you sprain it...what?!? Again, after 8 months I'd expect something substantive.

He doesn't owe us a satisfying explanation in much the same way my opinion of him ultimately makes no difference. That said, if he cares about his public perception, these quotes did nothing to help sell more 52 jerseys at the Pro Shop.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I assure you Muscy, our reactions to those words were/are identical...LOL That is just the kinda stuff players say just prior to a team implosion. This morning I read the entire interview and in the context of the entire article , considered his play and noticed there were no quotes around any of the words.

In any 10 minute interview a reporter can take some of the words and make you look like a saint or a demon. Even TT, who has said nothing in 12 years, according to Wilde admitted he regretted cutting Rolle and, of course, Ted Thompson said no such thing. Looking out for #1 is a loaded phrase and its one CM3 came up with on the spur of the moment. I'll bet he's taken alot ribbing for those comments in the lockerroom. It even may have been a response to an inside joke; like when Hawk forgetting he was on TV gave the finger to the packer sideline. Fact is the loaded phrase represents the EXACT OPPOSITE of who he is.

I agree the explanation was evasive, I'm sure CM3 remembers with perfect recall what occurred. But, players dont like to talk about injuries, especially when it concerns the Seattle Sociopaths. Ya dont want to give them credit for or further encouragement for them successfully trying to hurt you and get you out of the game. So I get why he was evasive.

PS: Most dont know this, but in OT the Seattle inactives grabbed Crosby's mom from the stands and were set to tie her to the goal post had GB attempted a FG in OT.
8 years ago

What I see from Clay Matthews III is always being relentless. It's one of the things I admire about his play. He's always chugging away. I just wonder if he's one of those guys like in the NBA where they get a hangnail and they sit out two or three games because they are 100%.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Wrong league. That's the MLB!

Clay better play in all 19 games this year and in those 19 games he better cause mayhem
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (14h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (14h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (17h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (18h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (20h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (21h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.