uffda udfa
8 years ago

I think it's far more likely that Datone Jones will be an average player overall and a decent pass rusher. Not a bust or a great pick.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

If he's only average as a 1st round pick then he is a bust. You don't expect average with a 1st rounder nor should you.

Same kind of thing always applied to AJ Hawk...guy was a total washout as a 5th overall. Had he been a 4th or 5th round pick he would've been a decent pick there.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
8 years ago

If he's only average as a 1st round pick then he is a bust. You don't expect average with a 1st rounder nor should you.

Same kind of thing always applied to AJ Hawk...guy was a total washout as a 5th overall. Had he been a 4th or 5th round pick he would've been a decent pick there.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

That's just a matter of semantics then. I wouldn't consider an average-to-above average player a "bust." Of course one doesn't "expect" that with a first round pick, but it happens. No Generaly Manager is always going to draft superstars in the late first round. Getting a solid contributing player that potentially helps a team win a Super Bowl shouldn't be considered a bust. They all don't have to be great, although that would be nice. Such a player may not be a great, pick, but it can still be a decent pick. There's always spots on teams for decent players. Things could always be better but that's just not always going to be the reality. Getting a decent player is much, much better than getting a Justin Harrell or Derek Sherrod.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

That's just a matter of semantics then. I wouldn't consider an average-to-above average player a "bust." Of course one doesn't "expect" that with a first round pick, but it happens. No Generaly Manager is always going to draft superstars in the late first round. Getting a solid contributing player that potentially helps a team win a Super Bowl shouldn't be considered a bust. They all don't have to be great, although that would be nice. Such a player may not be a great, pick, but it can still be a decent pick. There's always spots on teams for decent players. Things could always be better but that's just not always going to be the reality. Getting a decent player is much, much better than getting a Justin Harrell or Derek Sherrod.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but no GM wants an average player from a 1st round pick. A first rounder should be a very good player for you. A lot of them aren't and they are called BUSTS.

AJ Hawk was a major bust to me but to others he wasn't. A bust for where he was taken as a 5th overall.

Jones is not even a decent pick yet so he's a BUST as of right now. We'll see where he goes this season. All pro is a little pie in the sky but I don't watch the games if you listen to Barfarn.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

You have to be kidding right?

EVERY player drafted in Green Bay MUST BECOME THE BEST EVER AT HIS POSITION!

These draft picks should achieve all pro status their rookie year,
OR THEY ARE BUSTS!

You don't agree with this , you are not a true fan!

This team better go undefeated this and every year, they better win every game by 30 points or more , OR I AM NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY!

By golly if I am not happy, NOBODY should be happy, and I will let you know about it EVERY DAY ON EVERY THREAD!

Damnit you can build the perfect team on Madden,

Why the hell do you want less in reality?

Shame on you!

D. Jones has had the ankle thing slow his progress, looking forward to see how he performs when healthy and playing next to a rejuvenated Raji.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
8 years ago

You have to be kidding right?

EVERY player drafted in Green Bay MUST BECOME THE BEST EVER AT HIS POSITION!

These draft picks should achieve all pro status their rookie year,
OR THEY ARE BUSTS!

You don't agree with this , you are not a true fan!

This team better go undefeated this and every year, they better win every game by 30 points or more , OR I AM NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY!

By golly if I am not happy, NOBODY should be happy, and I will let you know about it EVERY DAY ON EVERY THREAD!

Damnit you can build the perfect team on Madden,

Why the hell do you want less in reality?

Shame on you!

D. Jones has had the ankle thing slow his progress, looking forward to see how he performs when healthy and playing next to a rejuvenated Raji.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

CLEARLY YOU ACCEPT GOODNESS, INSTEAD OF GREATNESS!

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

CLEARLY YOU ACCEPT GOODNESS, INSTEAD OF GREATNESS!

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Sadly, Datone isn't even "GOOD" at this point. That quote is the single most applicable thing to the majority of fans on this board that I have ever seen.

"Good is the enemy of great." --Voltaire

If Datone becomes "good" it will be shouted from the rooftops that he isn't a bust and he turned out being a great 1st round pick. That is the typical Packers fan way.

The real issue with all our defensive 1st round picks who have failed is surely someone like me and his expectations, not the fact that we've drafted a long string of 1st round underperformers. Nope. That just couldn't be it. Every first round pick including Ahmad Carroll, Jamal Reynolds, Tony Mandarich, Derek Sherrod, Nick Perry, Datone Jones, AJ Hawk...they've all really been latent stars on the cusp of greatness but nobody really noticed like the kool aid toting fan.

Surely, our D featuring 1st rounder Datone is a great group. It has been a big plus in our hopes of winning a championship. All those fine 1st rounders we have over there...they're all making this a top flight D that we can really count on in the playoffs vs. better teams. Thank goodness we have a defense filled with great picks that are all performing so well. I know I'm thankful for the great D that matches and helps support our sterling offense. Go Pack!
UserPostedImage

DakotaT
8 years ago

Sadly, Datone isn't even "GOOD" at this point. That quote is the single most applicable thing to the majority of fans on this board that I have ever seen.

"Good is the enemy of great." --Voltaire

If Datone becomes "good" it will be shouted from the rooftops that he isn't a bust and he turned out being a great 1st round pick. That is the typical Packers fan way.

The real issue with all our defensive 1st round picks who have failed is surely someone like me and his expectations, not the fact that we've drafted a long string of 1st round underperformers. Nope. That just couldn't be it. Every first round pick including Ahmad Carroll, Jamal Reynolds, Tony Mandarich, Derek Sherrod, Nick Perry, Datone Jones, AJ Hawk...they've all really been latent stars on the cusp of greatness but nobody really noticed like the kool aid toting fan.

Surely, our D featuring 1st rounder Datone is a great group. It has been a big plus in our hopes of winning a championship. All those fine 1st rounders we have over there...they're all making this a top flight D that we can really count on in the playoffs vs. better teams. Thank goodness we have a defense filled with great picks that are all performing so well. I know I'm thankful for the great D that matches and helps support our sterling offense. Go Pack!

I think you can add Raji to your list as well. If he would have turned into half the player that Vince Wolfork was, we'd actually have a good defense. But he got lazy or bored or whatever, but he has been a major letdown.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I think you can add Raji to your list as well. If he would have turned into half the player that Vince Wolfork was, we'd actually have a good defense. But he got lazy or bored or whatever, but he has been a major letdown.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

That is exactly why I didn't want Raji in that draft. He had a rep for being exactly the type he turned into. It was actually surprising he played well for the stretch he did. I could never figure out why they tried moving him to DE. It's almost like the Packers love effing with their players to see how they respond. Team has done it for years and years especially on OL.

As a 9th overall... B U S T

We may feature a D with Raji, Jones and Perry...3 recent 1st rounders whom have not lived up to their statuses. Dix is an unknown but played okay as a rookie especially relatively speaking with what we've had back there. Matthews is looking out for No. 1. Our best 1st rounder on our D was drafted by Carolina and played in Chicago. Thankfully, we got rid of the other underachieving 1st rounder in AJ Hawk.
UserPostedImage

DoddPower
8 years ago

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but no GM wants an average player from a 1st round pick. A first rounder should be a very good player for you. A lot of them aren't and they are called BUSTS.

AJ Hawk was a major bust to me but to others he wasn't. A bust for where he was taken as a 5th overall.

Jones is not even a decent pick yet so he's a BUST as of right now. We'll see where he goes this season. All pro is a little pie in the sky but I don't watch the games if you listen to Barfarn.

Obviously no GM "wants" an average player in the 1st round. C'mon. The point is the draft is a crap shoot and getting a decent-to-good player in the late first round isn't a disaster. It's much much better than Justin Harrell of Derrek Sherrod. It's obviously not a great pick, but it's not a bust either. The world isn't as black and white as you see it. Very few teams if any consistently draft great players mostly in the late first round for a decade and counting. If they do, they should have multiple Super Bowl victories over that time. That would be awesome but just isn't very realistic.

Datone Jones and Nick Perry are good players . . . if they stay healthy. If not, well then sure one could call them a bust as they could for any player that was never healthy. Keep those players healthy and the Packers defense would be much improved.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Obviously no GM "wants" an average player in the 1st round. C'mon. The point is the draft is a crap shoot and getting a decent-to-good player in the late first round isn't a disaster. It's much much better than Justin Harrell of Derrek Sherrod. It's obviously not a great pick, but it's not a bust either. The world isn't as black and white as you see it. Very few teams if any consistently draft great players mostly in the late first round for a decade and counting. If they do, they should have multiple Super Bowl victories over that time. That would be awesome but just isn't very realistic.

Datone Jones and Nick Perry are good players . . . if they stay healthy. If not, well then sure one could call them a bust as they could for any player that was never healthy. Keep those players healthy and the Packers defense would be much improved.

The world is "gray" because it's more palatable to YOU that way. That's fine. I don't need it that way nor do I want it.

Jones is a BUST, right now, and saying he's better than Sherrod or Harrell is on the same line of thinking I see here that says when we lose in Seattle that "at least we're not Cleveland". REALisitic means REAL...and what is REAL is we are not good enough and haven't been on defense for many years. That is not even debatable. Guys like Datone are part of the problem not the solution and solutions should be forthcoming in Round 1. What noise would the Minnesota Vikings have made in the last 20 years without hitting on Randy Moss and Adrian Peterson? NONE. Now, they drafted Bridgewater...last pick Round 1. If he is a truly great player unlike the ones we keep drafting they will overtake us as they have assembled a defense we wish we had. Hitting in round 1 or not is MONUMENTALLY important. Yes, guys like Russell Wilson and Tom Brady weren't 1st rounders. Seattle is a very odd situation but I digress...back on point, the fact we hit on a 1st in Aaron Rodgers is the SOLE reason you can brag about being a contender even though we don't have the proper team around him.

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (39m) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (5h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (12h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (12h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (13h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (16h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.