beast
8 years ago
Na'il Diggs questioned the Matthews to ILB move at first (like all/most of us) then after seeing a couple of weeks, loved it.

"I got to say when they moved him to inside linebacker, I was a little skeptical," said Diggs on 247Sports' Railbird Central podcast on Friday. "My antennas went up because I wasn't sure. I got to say Dom Capers outsmarted me. I had no idea what was going on. I thought maybe something was going on personnel-wise, maybe they didn't like his performance that he was putting up outside rushing the passer. My first instinct was, 'Man, Clay Matthews is a pass rusher, he's an athlete, he's an animal, let him rush the passer.'"

Diggs admits that defensive coordinator Dom Capers and the rest of the coaching staff knew what they were doing all along.

Once Matthews made the switch to inside linebacker following the bye week last season, the Packers defense turned the corner.

The run defense, which was was the worst in the NFL last at the midseason mark, became respectable.

"After watching him a few weeks, I think it was a Sunday night game or a Monday night game, I watched him," said Diggs. "Man, he tore it up. He was playing like an animal. And that's what the position is all about. Middle linebacker is the absolute funnest position to play on the field. You get to run around, you see everything.

"You get to run around, you get to knock the crap out of people, especially if that's something you like like I do. It gives you free reign, especially if you've got a good defensive line in front of you that can protect you and keep you clean. And with a player like Clay Matthews, it's not going to do anything but benefit him."

Diggs  wrote:

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
8 years ago
I think the ILB position is far from being "squared away" but as long as Matthews is available to man the inside until Jake Ryan can get his sea legs under him and Barrington becomes better and more experienced, it will be adequate.
I'm still not sure about Barrington but he is better than what we had at the beginning of last season.

I feel that Ryan is going to be a good one for us though.
DoddPower
8 years ago

I think the ILB position is far from being "squared away" but as long as Matthews is available to man the inside until Jake Ryan can get his sea legs under him and Barrington becomes better and more experienced, it will be adequate.
I'm still not sure about Barrington but he is better than what we had at the beginning of last season.

I feel that Ryan is going to be a good one for us though.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Unfortunately, I don't think Barrington will ever be anywhere close to sufficient in coverage.
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Barrington is fine as the second best ILB. That's why it's essential to have Matthews there with him. If they use Ryan or Palmer or whoever, then Barrington is the top dog, and that didn't go so well in the preseason.

Barrington got beat by some 4.3 guy (I can't recall who) that he shouldn't have been on, and in a regular season game that Dom puts some planning into, wouldn't be covering. And even then, it took a perfect pass. Slower receivers maybe he can handle when called on.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DoddPower
8 years ago

Barrington is fine as the second best ILB. That's why it's essential to have Matthews there with him. If they use Ryan or Palmer or whoever, then Barrington is the top dog, and that didn't go so well in the preseason.

Barrington got beat by some 4.3 guy (I can't recall who) that he shouldn't have been on, and in a regular season game that Dom puts some planning into, wouldn't be covering. And even then, it took a perfect pass. Slower receivers maybe he can handle when called on.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

He was abused by a running back. A starting ILB needs to be able to consistently cover a running back.
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
Well I will look for improvement. I won't crucify him for having trouble covering Sproles because many pure cover guys have issues covering Sproles. That guy is insane.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
8 years ago

Well I will look for improvement. I won't crucify him for having trouble covering Sproles because many pure cover guys have issues covering Sproles. That guy is insane.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

True, but get used to it. It certainly won't be the last time that he gets burned, and it won't only be Sproles.
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
By the way, Barrington is questionable against the Bears. Palmer may get the nod eh?
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

By the way, Barrington is questionable against the Bears. Palmer may get the nod eh?

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Not good news at all.
Looking at the depth chart, if Barrington can't go that means Jake Ryan will slide over and be doing all the defense calls and adjustments.
Palmer will replace Ryan.
Hopefully Barrington can go.
Burnette is also questionable, Rollins is listed week to week.
Cobb has been upgraded to probable, may need him as The Packers might have to win this one by putting up a bunch of points.

Not gonna fret over the injuries, it is what it is, Sunday can't get here soon enough!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
8 years ago

He was abused by a running back. A starting ILB needs to be able to consistently cover a running back.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Even when the RB is basically a WR? They are a number of RB through out the NFL who are small, especially quick and pretty fast, who don't go up the middle like a normal RB, but are much better in the open field like a WR.... I think there are a lot of ILBers who struggle to cover those WR type RBs and the reason why a number of teams (including the Packers) have used a nickel back to coverage the WR type RBs... like the Packers have used a DB to cover Reggie Bush when he was with the Lions at times.

I don't think Barrington will be asked to be covering those guys man on man as much once the real games start as the Packers might sub to have an extra DB on the field to help cover the WR type RB.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (9h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (10h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (10h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.