Gaycandybacon
8 years ago
I expect raji to get better as the season progresses, he was gone for a full year lets remember. And tbh im not gonna base how he will play going into the season by his preseason performance. To be frank the rest of the starters didn't even play all that well in the preseason, it's more about the young guys than the vets. Ima wait a couple games in to judge how he's looking this year, I do feel he'll improve the run D though. He's coming in at a healthy weight and looks to contribute alot. And when Guion comes back at the end, we're gonna be that much better. Also Pennel is a beast I'm thinking he's gonna be rotated in there alot. Hell play him at end sometimes, I doubt Boyd is any more nimble than he is.
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Yeah, I agree, let's wait about 3 games before judging Raji - keep him if he plays good, cut his ass if he doesn't.

Like they say in old cowboy movies, give him a fair trial, then hang him.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
8 years ago
For Packers' defense, shutting down the run is key 

"If we could start where we were after the bye week, we would have been the fifth or sixth run defense in the league, where we were down in the bottom five the first half," Capers said. "You saw how much change that made.

"Hell, we played the two best running teams in the league (Dallas' DeMarco Murray and Seattle's Marshawn Lynch) in the playoffs and because we played the run pretty well we were able to get nine sacks in those games. You didn't see those teams get sacked that much."

Either because of the way the season ended or because of the way it started, Capers and coach Mike McCarthy made stopping the run an emphasis all off-season. Their decision to keep Matthews inside, keep the bulkier Nate Palmer and Jake Ryan as backups over undersized Joe Thomas and Carl Bradford and re-sign end/nose tackle Letroy Guion despite an off-field arrest are part of that commitment.

What's more, there have been some changes in the way Capers is attacking the run, none of which he or the players was willing to share heading into the season opener against Chicago at Soldier Field Sunday. But it wouldn't be surprising if Capers continued to keep a safety in the box and used packages with linebacker-sized Sean Richardson as a third safety.

The Packers are going to know pretty quickly whether they're a competent run defense because they face three 1,000-yard rushers from last year right out of the gate: Chicago's Matt Forte (1,038), Seattle's Lynch (1,306) and Kansas City's Jamal Charles (1,033).

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
8 years ago
All we can do is hope that Raji loves Raji enough to put forth a good effort in a contract year.

He has to learn to enjoy being double and triple teamed each down he is in there.
blank
Tezzy
8 years ago

All we can do is hope that Raji loves Raji enough to put forth a good effort in a contract year.

He has to learn to enjoy being double and triple teamed each down he is in there.

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

He needs to earn that double, triple team for his new contract. His agent would be smart to be whispering that in his ear every moment he can. If that's all he does from a stats perspective this year is force any decent rate of double teams, then I will be happy to have his large mass in there.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
nerdmann
8 years ago

I expect raji to get better as the season progresses, he was gone for a full year lets remember. And tbh im not gonna base how he will play going into the season by his preseason performance. To be frank the rest of the starters didn't even play all that well in the preseason, it's more about the young guys than the vets. Ima wait a couple games in to judge how he's looking this year, I do feel he'll improve the run D though. He's coming in at a healthy weight and looks to contribute alot. And when Guion comes back at the end, we're gonna be that much better. Also Pennel is a beast I'm thinking he's gonna be rotated in there alot. Hell play him at end sometimes, I doubt Boyd is any more nimble than he is.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

He's been away for a year, but hasn't played his actual position in a few years.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
8 years ago

He's been away for a year, but hasn't played his actual position in a few years.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Which is partly (maybe largely) his fault... after winning the Super Bowl he relaxed (which I think he has openly admitted) and relaxed too much and his game slipped because of it, especially his run defense... Packers wanted a better run defender at NT so they moved Pickett in there because Raji wasn't getting the job done and Raji continued his struggles defending against the run at 3-4 DE which is thought to be easier to do than NT.

If Raji does better this season I don't think it's because of his move back to NT.... I'll give credit to Raji being shocked at his lack of interest in free agency to bring a chip back to his shoulders and then the injury which might of added to the chip making it even larger. Hopefully those chips have gotten to him and he has stopped relaxing and is now out there to reprove himself with another Super Bowl ring.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
Barrington should help the run D too. He ain't in there for his coverage skills. lol
DakotaT
8 years ago
Yeah we found out we still can't stop the run. Move Pennel to NT.
UserPostedImage
RainX
8 years ago
Getting Burnett and Jones back next week certainly won't hurt our run D given how bad it was today. They'd get a D from me today grading on a curve given they were missing two defensive linemen and Forte is a decent back. You aren't going to get any gimmes from Skittles next week, that's for sure.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.