DarkaneRules
8 years ago
Vikings will be a strong threat for us in the division. I don't have any doubt about it although many fans don't seem concerned with them.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
musccy
8 years ago

Vikings will be a strong threat for us in the division. I don't have any doubt about it although many fans don't seem concerned with them.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Agreed, and to add to that lets not get too cocky. Packers, 'Hawks, and Pats were not considered strong contenders in week 3 last year, and they were the 3 best by season's end. We certainly shouldn't draw any substantial conclusions in week 2.

Of course this gives us a leg up on a very likely contender by January, but that's about all this says to this point.

beast
8 years ago

Rich Rodgers- he just keeps on learning and playing with a great head [though he lost by retaliating against Wright] and great intensity.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I'm not sure about that... when Adam Pac-man Jones slammed Raiders WR Coopers head into the ground, he didn't do nothing... and one teammate came over and tried to get him off and the only thing the ref did was thrown a yellow flag.

R. Rodgers on the other hand, threw a punch and the ref not only threw a flag but threw the other player out of the game ... (and T.J. Lang came over in full forced making sure no body is on his guys)

But throwing the punch in retailiation was the main difference (other than maybe the refs) in getting him thrown out.

Montgomery- He is a beast and is a great blocker.

Monty showed something, I just haven't seen from the other guys nearly as much... blocking while on the move. I've seen Nelson, Jones and a number of others physically block someone while staying put... but Monty seemed to be running a route between his guy with the ball and the defenders not physically blocking them but just putting his body in between them and the ball carrier for a while. That was very nice to see and he slowed a couple defeners down that way giving Cobb more room/time to run.

Hyde played a great game when he wasn’t on a fast WR; didn’t count the snaps, but I think he was was primary cover guy on Graham [1 catch about 10 yards]. Hayward needs to cover the slot WRs Randell is ready outside. I cant believe Rollins was inactive.

You're saying put Hayward on the nickel, but who are you taking off nickel? Hyde?

I think Hyde has the nickel job because he's a S/LB tweener. When they hade Hayward at nickel, he struggled with tackling, blitzing, holding the edge and being physical (but was great in coverage). While Hyde was great at tackling, blitzing, and being physical... and just good at holding the edge (for a DB) and good in coverage.

But if Capers wants to get more creative / aggressive by possibility sending the nickel back forward or worried about a physical RB, I'd go with Hyde as nickel back. If you want pure coverage then maybe go with Hayward, but I think the Packers like having the option of sending Hyde on the attack forward which they might not with Hayward.

I am completely lost as to why Seattle felt the need to get Graham, when all he is doing is taking snaps from Luke Wilson. And I really like their 3rd TE Helfett.

Yeah that trade seems like it was bad by both teams... taking away from their strengths.

Also the announcers noted, that with the Saints, Brees would just tell a WR/TE where to go like on a script and he'd find away to get the ball there if you were open. Where the Seahawks (like the Packers) ask their players when the play breaks down, stop the stripped play and read the QB, read the defenders and find an open spot which is a lot more thinking for both QB and his targets and Graham doesn't seem to be used to it at all.

The scripted plays and quick tempo made the offense efficient; Clements needs to go sooner to more quick tempo to get them out of any future funks.

Yeah the Seahawks were falling for the fake snap counts early on... in the second half when they were no longer falling for it, I felt like the Seahawks DL was just waiting for the last 5 seconds of the snap clock before getting fully prepared to go.

I wondered and felt like if they ran a couple of very fast snaps, like where they lined up and snapped the ball ASAP that would catch the Seahawks DL off guard... and then when they adjust to that, go back to the fake snap counts.

Just seemed like the Packers use only one of the count tricks, not both... I think they would be more effective when they used both... of course snapping it ASAP would mean less time for Rodgers to read the field, but if they catch the other team off guard could get a huge play out of it.
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I very much agree... I'm not sure if they're ready yet, but I think the Vikings could develop into an extremely tough threat as they have a lot of potential with their DBs and coverage LB and they got Peterson.
UserPostedImage
The_Green_Ninja
8 years ago
The difference is simple. Russel had a really good team for a few years. His team in on the decline. He can only open up different looks when he runs out of the pocket. His pocket, though, closes much faster then in previous years.

Wilson is just not the star QB Rodgers is. Rodgers is a field general, while Wilson just isn't. Not yet, anyway.
UserPostedImage
luigis
8 years ago
Elliot added 5 years of life....

Totally agree, another onside would have been terrifying...

Luis
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

You're saying put Hayward on the nickel, but who are you taking off nickel? Hyde?

I think Hyde has the nickel job because he's a S/LB tweener. When they hade Hayward at nickel, he struggled with tackling, blitzing, holding the edge and being physical (but was great in coverage). While Hyde was great at tackling, blitzing, and being physical... and just good at holding the edge (for a DB) and good in coverage.

But if Capers wants to get more creative / aggressive by possibility sending the nickel back forward or worried about a physical RB, I'd go with Hyde as nickel back. If you want pure coverage then maybe go with Hayward, but I think the Packers like having the option of sending Hyde on the attack forward which they might not with Hayward.

Yeah the Seahawks were falling for the fake snap counts early on... in the second half when they were no longer falling for it, I felt like the Seahawks DL was just waiting for the last 5 seconds of the snap clock before getting fully prepared to go.

I wondered and felt like if they ran a couple of very fast snaps, like where they lined up and snapped the ball ASAP that would catch the Seahawks DL off guard... and then when they adjust to that, go back to the fake snap counts.

Just seemed like the Packers use only one of the count tricks, not both... I think they would be more effective when they used both... of course snapping it ASAP would mean less time for Rodgers to read the field, but if they catch the other team off guard could get a huge play out of it.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yes, I was talking about taking Hyde out of nickel. I think your analysis of Hyde and Hayward is spot on. Hyde had trouble w/ Baldwin, well so did Hayward, LOL, but Hayward's problems were more technique and assignment related. Hyde will be dominated by an slot guy faster than Baldwin, like Matthews in Philly game. But Hyde in infinitely more physical than Hayward, so I want him in there as long as the slot guy is not faster than Baldwin. This week if Avant is in slot, love Hyde covering him, plus all else Hyde can do, like set the edge; but if D'anthony Thomas is in slot, he's too fast for Hyde and would like to see Hayward there, certainly on passing downs. On running downs, since Thomas is not a great route runner, we might be better w/ Hyde in there and if they throw to him the damage should be limited. Hyde is the TE shutdown Whisperer.

That snap count thing really worked. When a DLman is truly right in the head on that Aaron Rodgers hardcount, they'll flinch, but not move across line. Several times on Aaron Rodgers hardcounts NONE of the Seattle line even FLINCHED. That is a DL that is so conscious of being offside, they lose their quickness off the snap. i just thought the OLman were too invested in pointing out the jumps and sometimes they weren't ready or in the case of Baktieri, he was the one who got flagged.

And i agree with your idea: after the DL refuses to budge until the ball is snapped; if the O gets into a fast tempo rhythm and does a quick snap, there will be some players that get an advantage on the jump; and then you do that 5 times in a row, on the 6th a hardcount nonsnap will get 'em again.
Yerko
8 years ago
I really enjoyed the entire team effort in this game. I was a little worried and annoyed when the Seahawks came out in the 2nd half to take the lead. I thought we were once again witnessing the opponent make halftime adjustments and Dom sticking to his guns because it was working in the first half. I honestly feel that McCarthy has a lot to do with this team waking up after the Seahawks took the lead in the 2nd half. Not having sole responsibility of offense and play calling probably allowed him to get on Capers and the defense a little more as well as the stagnant offense in the 3rd.

The Packers defense sure was something to watch in that first half and in the 4th quarter.

I am loving this offense. We are only in week 2 of the season and we have already witnessed the "next man up" at 3 major positions.

Jordy injured - James Jones shows week 1 wasn't a fluke.
Bulaga injured - Barclay steps up and gets the job done.
Lacy injured - Starks steps up as usual (minus the terrible fumble)
Adams injured - This opened the door for Montgomery to come in and make some key catches AND blocks (I love the Packers WR downfield blocking--nothing like it in the league).

I was really disappointed in this officiating crew yesterday. I try really hard not to talk about the officiating and how it affects the game but with every single replay NBC showed of Richard Sherman, he was holding. Not minor, but blatantly holding the WR. He finally was called for two but as a previous poster had said, you know this is stressed by the coaching staff to do it because it won't get called every play.
Mike Neal was not offsides on the play that gave Seattle the extra attempt to score. Not only was he not offsides, but he started to move forward because he realized the play clock had been at 0 for awhile (not called).

Our tackles need to join the middle of the offensive line in protecting Rodgers. There were too many times that Rodgers would drop back and immediately be under pressure off the edges. Again, Barclay held his own but Bakhtiari was the worst of the two. Luckily, adjustments were made with shorter passing and Starks being so successful.

Jayrone Elliott really was something yesterday. Two playmaker-type moments at the right time...drive killer and game killer. He was being hyped up by some Packers beat writers during training camp so if he can continue to make plays, it might make Clays transition inside (played the entire game at ILB) a bit easier. Mulumba and Neal were burned a few times on the edges. Perry held his own.

Hayward was playing soft defense all night. Unless it was the plays being called, he seemed to have the biggest cushion on his WR the entire night.

HaHa came back and made some great tackles this week. Hopefully showing that week 1 was a fluke.

Morgan Burnett was also a breath of fresh air at the safety position.

This win has this fan on a high.

16-0, Super Bowl Champs. [bdance]

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
Palmer wonderful in coverage; but he gets a D on the Barrington thump scale. I thought he played the run way too soft; McGuinn said he was fully embracing his cut back responsibilities. McGuinn might be right, i hope he's right

R.Rodgers had 4 catches; but stats only gave him 3, does he not get a catch on the Xtra point? And he again did a nice job blocking. At 12:32 1Q on Lacy’s 8 yard run KJ Wright was in the hole and Rodgers blasted him out it. Wright is a good player, now I know why Wright wanted to break his neck.😂

Top 11 Seattle plays and the culprits:
32yds 3-8-SEA 15 (1Q-5:24) R.Wilson pass deep left to D.Baldwin ran ob at SEA 47 HAYWARD I Think-Broken coverage

24yds 1-10-SEA 20 (3Q-15:00) R.Wilson pass deep right to L.Willson to SEA 44
PALMER-But good coverage great play by TE Willson

17yds 3-11-SEA 43 (3Q-13:45) R.Wilson pass deep middle to T.Lockett to GB 40
HAYWARD should have been trailing closer, should have gotten more safety [HHCD] help

17yds 1-10-GB 43 (3Q-8:09) R.Wilson left end ran ob at GB 26
PERRY-didn’t hold contain [Lynch out of game, so this was a MAJOR mental error].

15yds 2-2-SEA 28 (4Q-1:33) R.Wilson pass short left to D.Baldwin to SEA 43.
HAYWARD, but in this situation [up by 2 scores 1:33 remaining] his job was to not let WR get deep, protect the sideline, 15 yards is okay as long as tackle is made in bounds, which it was.

13yds 1-10-GB 40 (3Q-13:04) R.Wilson pass short left to D.Baldwin pushed ob at GB 27 HYDE

13yds 2-3-SEA 23 (3Q-11:54) R.Wilson scrambles left end ran ob at SEA 10
MULUMBA blew contain.

13yds 2-10-GB 26 (3Q-7:32) R.Wilson pass short middle to C.Matthews to GB 13
HYDE–Palmer maybe should have gotten a deeper drop

13yds 1-10-GB 13 (3Q-6:53) R.Wilson pass short middle to D.Baldwin, TOUCHDOWN.
HYDE

13yds 2-12-SEA 29 (4Q-7:24) R.Wilson scrambles right end ran ob at SEA 42 for 13 yards PALMER should have made the tackle in open field like he did earlier, but that’s tough on Wilson.

1 2 1-10-GB 48 (15:00) R.Wilson pass short middle to L.Willson to GB 36 for 12 yards
HHCD
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.