musccy
8 years ago

Letting Jones will likely be one of the biggest player mistakes of Teds tenure.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

He's back on the roster, why is a one year hiatus such a big mistake? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Packers pick up a compensatory pick for him? The Packers didn't blow the last 3:52 because JJ wasn't on the roster. I don't see the downside.

Furthermore, we don't know the butterfly effect, either. Since JJ not being retained, the Packers signed Adams, Janis, Abby, Monty, and Cobb. Thus far, at least three of those have been promising, and there is no way to know all three would have been drafted/re-signed with JJ still on the roster.

QCHuskerFan
8 years ago

Letting Jones will likely be one of the biggest player mistakes of Teds tenure.

I hope so. Because he's a miracle worker if letting a #3 WR that is getting old go is the worst mistake he makes.

We could only be so lucky.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

He's back on the roster, why is a one year hiatus such a big mistake? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Packers pick up a compensatory pick for him? The Packers didn't blow the last 3:52 because JJ wasn't on the roster. I don't see the downside.

Furthermore, we don't know the butterfly effect, either. Since JJ not being retained, the Packers signed Adams, Janis, Abby, Monty, and Cobb. Thus far, at least three of those have been promising, and there is no way to know all three would have been drafted/re-signed with JJ still on the roster.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

The Packers wanted James Jones back, but not at the price the Raiders paid. I believe James Jones said as much at the airport when he first flew into town.

The Packers had starters in Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and probably felt (I'm assuming here) the draft was deep enough at WR to potentially land a legitimate future starter early on. They drafted Davante Adams in the 2nd round. Teams populate the 4th and 5th WR roster spots with younger fellas who you develop and also contribute to special teams. You don't shell out $3.8 million to a 30 year old battling for 3rd WR who has already hit his ceiling.

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

Because having a proven 3rd WR last year would have likely resulted in a SB trip. It goes deeper than just the end of the NFC Championship. It goes through the entire season. With JJ, the team likely ends up with a better record, which would have resulted in Home field for the championship. With JJ in that game, the odds are greater that they convert TDs rather than FGs.

That is speculation of course.

I said before the season, and during the season. Letting JJ go was a mistake, because there was no proven 3rd WR which is something the team has consistently had, and was greatly missed last year.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
8 years ago

Teams populate the 4th and 5th WR roster spots with younger fellas who you develop and also contribute to special teams. You don't shell out $3.8 million to a 30 year old battling for 3rd WR who has already hit his ceiling.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Exactly. Someone said above how the Giants had at least 3 WRs you could argue are as good Jones is/was so why have a #4 who can't play ST? As you look at it in hindsight, the Packers would have had roughly 24 million committed to 3 WRs that is IF they could/would have retained RC. I don't doubt RC's looming contract and youth played a role in letting JJ go at the time.

Of course Ted caught some luck with JJ being released, but who cares - we're paying $875k (ish) for our #2 who is performing quite well. Life could be worse.
Smokey
8 years ago
IMO, James Jones' story demonstrates that a great QB can make a WR better , but a great WR with an average QB is just another WR. JJ left GB in a bit of a slump and did not perform as well in Oakland or NY. At Oakland they still wish for a great QB and NY has a very good QB in Eli Manning, but he and Jones just did not develop a winning chemistry together.

A great QB like Aaron Rodgers has the ability to elevate his WR's to higher performance levels. Would Jennings, or Cobb, or even Nelson have been as good with other QB's ? That answer is no and Jennings illustrates that point. James Jones is a fine athlete, but with a great QB like Aaron Rodgers he is able to elevate his performance level. He may be on his way to a Pro-Bowl selection as well as a Super Bowl appearance this season. As for his contract with the Packers, IMO, he is earning it. The details of such a deal still depend on his remaining performances. Also let us not forget that the Salary Cap next season will be increasing dramatically, so there should be funds available for a fair new contract for a worthy and valuable veteran like James Jones.

Just think of it, next season could see Nelson and Cobb and Jones starting at WR for the Packers. Defensive Coordinators around the league will be pissing their pants. GB would have the best and deepest core of WR's in the NFL. It could also allow for better play at the TE position as well. In addition with the Defense playing at it's current improved level, we may be about to establish a new Dynasty for years to come.

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers]
UserPostedImage
musccy
8 years ago

Because having a proven 3rd WR last year would have likely resulted in a SB trip. It goes deeper than just the end of the NFC Championship. It goes through the entire season. With JJ, the team likely ends up with a better record, which would have resulted in Home field for the championship. With JJ in that game, the odds are greater that they convert TDs rather than FGs.

With 5 minutes to go, a 12 point lead, and Burnett sprinting down the field with an intercepted ball, you should win that game. Instead Peppers signaling to slide started the collapse. Maybe JJ's presence could have put the game at home, given the Packers more of a lead in the 2nd half, etc. but it shouldn't have mattered. The Packers had myriad opportunities to win that game even w/o JJ.

PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

With 5 minutes to go, a 12 point lead, and Burnett sprinting down the field with an intercepted ball, you should win that game. Instead Peppers signaling to slide started the collapse. Maybe JJ's presence could have put the game at home, given the Packers more of a lead in the 2nd half, etc. but it shouldn't have mattered. The Packers had myriad opportunities to win that game even w/o JJ.

Sure it shouldn't have mattered and would have been great if it didn't matter. but there is little doubt in my mind having him on the team last year WOULD have mattered. It would have improved the teams record, it would have given us HFA, and it would have improved the teams red zone ability.

Sometimes it only takes one little difference to change the outcome of the game.

It was a mistake to go without a proven 3rd WR option and a mistake that likely cost us a chance at the SB. Jones should have been kept until one of the unproven youth on the team beat him out for the spot. the team had the money, they took a risk and it cost them more.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
8 years ago
If we play the woulda/coulda game, JJ is still extremely low on the list of where I'd start the blame..in fact, he wouldn't even register on my list. Who cares where the game was played. Again, 5 minutes to go, 12 point lead, and Burnett has dozens of yards of free turf in front of him and we're saying JJ's absence is the reason GB wasn't in the SB?

Could JJ have helped? Sure I suppose, but to me it's like saying the Red Sox would have won in '86 if their left fielder had more hits.

The Packers now have JJ for fractions of the cost and acquired some young talent the past two drafts speculatively due to JJ's departure.
DoddPower
8 years ago

If we play the woulda/coulda game, JJ is still extremely low on the list of where I'd start the blame..in fact, he wouldn't even register on my list. Who cares where the game was played. Again, 5 minutes to go, 12 point lead, and Burnett has dozens of yards of free turf in front of him and we're saying JJ's absence is the reason GB wasn't in the SB?

Could JJ have helped? Sure I suppose, but to me it's like saying the Red Sox would have won in '86 if their left fielder had more hits.

The Packers now have JJ for fractions of the cost and acquired some young talent the past two drafts speculatively due to JJ's departure.

Exactly. One could endlessly dive through the what if game and it would be nothing but conjecture. But the fact remains that the Packers absolutely did not need James Jones to make it to the Super Bowl last season. They had more than enough talent and simply had a historically bad choke. Sure, James Jones would have helped. Having more good players always helps. But the Packers didn't need him to go to the Super Bowl. From my perspective, that's all that can really be said about the issue without wild speculation. In fact, the Packers would have likely easily made it to the Super Bowl had Rodgers just been a little more healthy.

What if.