nerdmann
8 years ago

Adams ran a 4.56 at Combine; but had run in the 4.4s in training and at other venues before that, so Adams felt strongly he could improve, took a chance, and ran a 4.51 at his pro day. But, if you watch him play, he is plenty fast enough, he plays as fast as any 4.45 guy.

What GB is doing is putting stuff on film and seeing how other DCs react. One successful deep play to Monty and Janis [if they didn't get stupid] and they dont try it again? really? I expect a shift of gears after the bye,we'll see more deep stuff and Mike McCarthy and Co. will again see how other DCs react. Then a strategy will be laid out for the stretch run and we'll see even more unscouted looks. This is why we never lose in December sans injury. Every guy GB has can test a D deep, even ole' lead foot Jones and 270lb Rodgers! The game plans thus far are a strategy, not evidence of a limitation to throw deep.

Dont think Ted Thompson goes for TE Davis. He's due 7M straight cash or about 437K/game. If we traded for him this week he'd suck up almost $5M in cap and be a UFA for 2016. Now if he'd agree to a 2 year 2M extension, then it's possible; but even then at 31 and maybe breaking down doubt Ted Thompson goes for it.

We got 12M in cap space after Perillo transaction; we got 39 guys under contract in 2016 for 123.6M, so if the cap jumps to 160M like some predict, we'll have 50M of cap space in 2016 and only one expensive must-sign guy [Daniels].

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Vernon would have to renegotiate, BUT he'd be playing with Aaron and have a very good shot at a ring. Ted has made moves like this before, with Marshawn for example. It's just that the other team tried to raise the price at the last second.

Still, I'm not holding my breath on it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
8 years ago

Jordy's was I think a 4.51, whereas Davante's is a 4.56. Big freakin deal. That difference is negligible, imo.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I don't think it's the same. .. Nelson is faster than his timed speed IMO... Nelson is a long strider and like most long striders he needs a few steps to get up to speed, but once up to speed Nelson seems to be able to hit a faster top gear than Jones, Cobb and Adams, all of whom can make quick moves that Nelson used to attempt and no longer even tries as he knows that not his strength.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
8 years ago
can we please not rehash the 40 time argument. uffda isnt even here.
Dulak
8 years ago

So Adams is a deep threat?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

ya I just looked ... he had one good game vs NE last year with 121 yards ... thats it; next closest game he had 77 yards ... 117 yards at dallas PS

I have to see it to believe it
nyrpack
8 years ago
we sure could use him to get things rolling again !!
jimmy b.
beast
8 years ago

Dont think Ted Thompson goes for TE Davis. He's due 7M straight cash or about 437K/game. If we traded for him this week he'd suck up almost $5M in cap and be a UFA for 2016. Now if he'd agree to a 2 year 2M extension, then it's possible; but even then at 31 and maybe breaking down doubt Ted Thompson goes for it.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you're numbers might be off.

According to spotrac.com , TE Davis' cap hit to the 49ers is a bit over of $6.95 million (but cap hit IS NOT what he's due as commonly mistaken). His dead money (or money already earned) is a bit over of $2.25 million and if he's traded that dead money cap hit will stay with the 49ers because he earned it already with the 49ers. So if I'm understanding his contract correctly, his 2015 cash due is $4.7 million ($6.95 - $2.25).

Which would be about $276,470.59 per week over the 17 week season (I think they break the pay down to 17 weeks, instead of 16 games). And with 5 weeks down there is $3,317,647.06 left. Seeing as a 6th week would probably be gone before any trade is made it'd be down to $3,041,176.47. So the question would be is he worth $3 million for 10 games (and playoffs).

I don't think it gets done, because Ted Thompson has basically said he doesn't like one year rentals of outside guys (though he has done it before, but it's rare). And because he has 354 yards over his last 17 starts, and maybe more importantly he's been banged up over the last 17 starts and has missed their last two games as of right now. I don't see Ted Thompson offering anything until he gets at least healthy enough to be on the field.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
8 years ago

I'm not 100% sure but I think you're numbers might be off.

According to spotrac.com , TE Davis' cap hit to the 49ers is a bit over of $6.95 million (but cap hit IS NOT what he's due as commonly mistaken). His dead money (or money already earned) is a bit over of $2.25 million and if he's traded that dead money cap hit will stay with the 49ers because he earned it already with the 49ers. So if I'm understanding his contract correctly, his 2015 cash due is $4.7 million ($6.95 - $2.25).

Which would be about $276,470.59 per week over the 17 week season (I think they break the pay down to 17 weeks, instead of 16 games). And with 5 weeks down there is $3,317,647.06 left. Seeing as a 6th week would probably be gone before any trade is made it'd be down to $3,041,176.47. So the question would be is he worth $3 million for 10 games (and playoffs).

I don't think it gets done, because Ted Thompson has basically said he doesn't like one year rentals of outside guys (though he has done it before, but it's rare). And because he has 354 yards over his last 17 starts, and maybe more importantly he's been banged up over the last 17 starts and has missed their last two games as of right now. I don't see Ted Thompson offering anything until he gets at least healthy enough to be on the field.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Beast, you're 100% correct on the numbers, I had a brain fart!

But the main thing holding Ted Thompson back even more than 3M is the 6th or 7th rnd pick he'd lose. Of course this is assuming Ted Thompson counts Davis smart enough to pick up the system and a quality enough of a human being; he did pass him up for Hawk 10 yrs ago.

Now if Ted Thompson deemed Davis worthy and worth 4.3ish Million per year then Ted Thompson would expect a 5th or 6th comp pick in 2017, when he signs elsewhere in 2016. So maybe he'd swap his 5th for SF's 6th in 2016 for Davis or swap Lane Taylor for him. But, SF would then lose their comp pick for Davis in 2017.

And dont forget, if Davis is on roster, then Perillo or Taylor's salary would come off bringing the hit to 2.5Millionish.
DoddPower
8 years ago

Beast, you're 100% correct on the numbers, I had a brain fart!

But the main thing holding Ted Thompson back even more than 3M is the 6th or 7th rnd pick he'd lose. Of course this is assuming Ted Thompson counts Davis smart enough to pick up the system and a quality enough of a human being; he did pass him up for Hawk 10 yrs ago.

Now if Ted Thompson deemed Davis worthy and worth 4.3ish Million per year then Ted Thompson would expect a 5th or 6th comp pick in 2017, when he signs elsewhere in 2016. So maybe he'd swap his 5th for SF's 6th in 2016 for Davis or swap Lane Taylor for him. But, SF would then lose their comp pick for Davis in 2017.

And dont forget, if Davis is on roster, then Perillo or Taylor's salary would come off bringing the hit to 2.5Millionish.

Vernon Davis would be a nice addition to the Packers. If they could get him for a late round draft pick it would be more than worth it, imo. Even if he is saved for later in the season and the playoffs, that'd be just fine. Once mostly healthy, he would instantly be the Packers #1 receiving TE, which the Packers could desperately use. The guy has obviously struggled lately, but he hasn't been with Aaron Rodgers. If he was on the Packers, I have no doubt he could squeeze out a few more productive seasons.

With that being said, Ted Thompson will never make this deal, if it's even on the table. I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots were able to swing a deal, though.
nerdmann
8 years ago

Vernon Davis would be a nice addition to the Packers. If they could get him for a late round draft pick it would be more than worth it, imo. Even if he is saved for later in the season and the playoffs, that'd be just fine. Once mostly healthy, he would instantly be the Packers #1 receiving TE, which the Packers could desperately use. The guy has obviously struggled lately, but he hasn't been with Aaron Rodgers. If he was on the Packers, I have no doubt he could squeeze out a few more productive seasons.

With that being said, Ted Thompson will never make this deal, if it's even on the table. I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots were able to swing a deal, though.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I'll compare him to two other players.

First, Keith Jackson joined the Packers in the middle of the season and ended up helping them to a SB. Second, Charles Woodson was viewed as a kind of a recalcitrant malcontent before he came to GB. It's a great environment for a player who needs a change of scenery.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Bigbyfan
8 years ago
I don't see Davante as a burner type of deep threat. What I do see him as, something we've been missing without Jordy, is the 25-30 yd back shoulder throw threat. This is something he did pretty well last year. Rodgers is the best in the league at throwing it back shoulder on a dime. Unfortunately we don't really have that guy to catch it (possibly Jones).

That's the deep threat we should expect from Davante.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.