hardrocker950
8 years ago

true, but a false start is a false start

Originally Posted by: packerfanoutwest 

This is why it bothers me - some things are tough to judge, but a false start is very much a black and white call. If coach saw it from the sidelines while watching the play as a whole, it is inexcusable that an official (whose job is specifically to watch for this) could miss it.

It is pretty obvious that the ref crews are encouraged to make calls to keep games close - although I don't see that as the deal so much in yesterday's game.

Regardless of the above - Mike chose the wrong time to speak up about that. Getting angry on the mic doesn't usually do you any favors, and also might influence the officials more if they hear it.
Barfarn
8 years ago

Barfarn...I generally agree with what you're saying, but in this case not as much.
With last week's int, I think it's more a matter of the league not knowing how to define a catch.

Calls influenced by other circumstances is not unique to the nfl. Jordan's winning shot vs. The Utah Jazz had a nice push off. Google traveling violations in the NBA. Strike zones are grey. To me that's more a part of human nature, an element you cant, and I don't think should regulate out of the game.

Aside from Fail Mary, I can't recall a game or situation where calls were one-sided enough to cost the Packers the game. Sure the IG play was clunky, but tjat or any other call was nowhere near as influential on the outcome as injuries and the Packers' performance on the field.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Musccy normally I do agree with you, even on this issue😁: ref suckyness typically goes both ways; but what is happening today, it is CREATING A COMPETITIVE DISADVANTAGE TO PACKERS.

Everyday GB tries to elevate a player's awareness of the rules and to play within them, so the team can play penalty free; or do things to induce the other team to commit a penalty, like hard counts. So this should give GB an advantage over players coached to be hooligans like Harbaugh's 49ers or Seattle, right?

Let's take the Illegal contact; Seattle coaches DBs to hold/make illegal contact almost every play, because they wont call it every time; and once you get a IC/hold call against you, on the next play its okay to pull the WR's shorts down and shove your fist and make that WR your hand-puppet, because for sure they'll be no call. Now, who should have the advantage: the well-coached team on not being penalized or those wilfully committing penalties? Shamefully, no bullshittingly, it is the thugs that get the competitive advantage. If a CB makes illegal contact 12 plays in a row, then 12 flags should be thrown whether it's a star like Sherman or a nobody like Gunter. See the league is thinking of viewership: if an IC call is made every play, viewership will decline. But, here's what those dumba$$es dont get: if ya throw 3 flags in a row, and every other time they commit IC, they'll stop committing IC penalties. So if they throw flags for every penalty, they'll stop and you get the same # of flags, the same viewership, but the NFL maintains its integrity.

This is my problem w/ the refs, their suckness is a disadvantage to the teams, GB being one, that spend time every day in practice on penalties and an advantage that those that encourage penalties; it is not a 50-50 goes both ways deal.

The teams that have been trying to stay within the rules on "rub" plays have been b!tching over teams that are running "pick" plays and creating a competitive disadvantage. Now supposedly that is becoming point of emphasis.

I think that was you Musccy that thought Bryant made the catch, right? I think a catch is perfectly defined. A player going to the ground after "catching" the ball has to maintain possession through the process. The ball can hit the ground as long as the player is not using the ground to secure the ball and as long as the ball is secure and does not move in the hands or arms when it hits the ground. There is no disagreement here. There's just refs getting it WRONG!

Now processing the reality might create disagreement. If Bryant took 2 steps and Lunged for the Goal line after making the "catch;" then it was a catch and a fumble, which he recovered and ball is at .5 yard line. If he didn't take 2 steps, then the "catch" became an incomplete pass when the ball shifted in his arm when it hit the ground.

Personally I've seen Bryant lunge and take steps several times; an the aforementioned action dont look like anything I've seen him do before. The ball never extended beyond his helmut, he simply stuck his arms out so his head didn't hit the ground first and his left and right foot just happened to touch the ground in succession after the ball was secure in his hands as his momentum was taking him to the ground.
musccy
8 years ago
I understand what you're saying Barfarn, and to be honest, I don't focus on after 5 contact of the GB DBs vs. any other team to be able to say that Seattle or San Fran get away with IC more often than GB does. That said, I'm also of the opinion that the league is too biased towards offense and should be more lenient with contact. I also can't say that I watch that closely to see if AR's shoulders or head bob at all during his hard counts. I find it hard to believe he's not dancing on the fine line of that rule a number of times. It goes back to my point - do I get the sense that the Packers are being jobbed by the refs? I understand what you're saying, I just don't see it enough to agree.

As far as the catch, yes, I feel Bryant had a catch. Common sense has been regulated out of the rules. On James Jones' 65 y TD last week, he lost control of the ball when he contacted the ground just like Dez did. The main difference was that James took more (OK, a LOT more) steps before that point. If you establish control, get in 2 steps - voila - to me that's a catch, in fact at one point that was the rule. It's what the refs said with Golden Tate's TD on Sunday. Then you have Cavlin Johnson in (2010??) have two steps, a football move, hip on the ground but his isn't a TD vs. the Bears? That's what I mean - if Dez and Calvin's are incompletions while Tate's is a TD, then we have no clue what a frickin' catch is!

texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
I'm all for coaches and players calling out officials whatever team it is, ours or theirs. I would also say, McCarthy did not get angry into a microphone or anything like that. He was calm and rational sounding. And the call he referred to was shown right after as definitely missed by the officials.

In spite of all that, though, this was not the time to say anything. A lot of shit has taken place in a lot of games in a lot of sports, but recently, as somebody said, at least as many bad calls have been going for us as against us.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Barfarn
8 years ago

I understand what you're saying Barfarn, and to be honest, I don't focus on after 5 contact of the GB DBs vs. any other team to be able to say that Seattle or San Fran get away with IC more often than GB does. That said, I'm also of the opinion that the league is too biased towards offense and should be more lenient with contact. I also can't say that I watch that closely to see if AR's shoulders or head bob at all during his hard counts. I find it hard to believe he's not dancing on the fine line of that rule a number of times. It goes back to my point - do I get the sense that the Packers are being jobbed by the refs? I understand what you're saying, I just don't see it enough to agree.

As far as the catch, yes, I feel Bryant had a catch. Common sense has been regulated out of the rules. On James Jones' 65 y TD last week, he lost control of the ball when he contacted the ground just like Dez did. The main difference was that James took more (OK, a LOT more) steps before that point. If you establish control, get in 2 steps - voila - to me that's a catch, in fact at one point that was the rule. It's what the refs said with Golden Tate's TD on Sunday. Then you have Cavlin Johnson in (2010??) have two steps, a football move, hip on the ground but his isn't a TD vs. the Bears? That's what I mean - if Dez and Calvin's are incompletions while Tate's is a TD, then we have no clue what a frickin' catch is!

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I dont think the Johnson catch is relevant anymore. Tate caught and controlled the ball took 2 steps crossing the GL and just as his foot came down for 3rd step [well inside EZ] the ball was pulled out. The instant he took 2 steps w/ control and crossed the GL it was a TD. Bryant didn't take 2 steps, those were not steps, it was a function of his momentum, he was falling to the ground the entire way from his control of ball 'til the ground caused the ball to move in his grasp.

And to address something Tex said as well, I dont think more calls are going against GB [except for teams ahead do get less calls and more often than not that's us], though it feels like it sometimes. Our attentiveness to the rules should give us an advantage; it's like GB is Shields running a 40 and other teams are like Howard Green running the 40 and the refs remove all their legs. Yea, our legs were removed equally, but we were alot faster and now we're not.

When I rewatch a game, i watch every route run, I watch every DB's coverage, not just where the ball goes. I keep empirical stats when evaluating players; but I dont keep track of how many times we get held/IC or picks v. the opposition. I'd bet money we get held and picked ALOT more; but I wouldn't bet alot because, I dont get as mad when we hold as when we get held, or when we pick as to when we get picked. At the end of the day if it gets seared in my mind when we get picked or held, but it rolls off my back like like h2o off a duck's when we foul; my impression could be extremely biased.
musccy
8 years ago
When talking about Bryant and the manner in which he got 2 feet down, I don't see why it matters if it was a step under his control or a function of momentum. 2 feet and clear possession should mean a catch, IMO...it's what they granted to Tate. Bryant had clear control of the ball in his left hand while extending for the goal line. Letter of the law, it was ruled was correct. Common sense? I say heck no!

As far as penalties I certainly don't pay close enough attention to make a quantitative statement. It's like what you said and how we're all likely looking at it, it's that gut sense and reaction. I don't see a massive inequality but I also can't sit here and definitively say you're wrong and I'm right.
mi_keys
8 years ago
I've seen several sources refer to Tate as having taken three steps between initially getting his hands on the ball and losing it (so this is not directed at you barfarn) but I would call that exceedingly generous. Tate jumped before he caught the ball and his feet don't land simultaneously, and he loses the ball before completing his next step.

He has the ball for at most a second from the point it first touches his hands to when he loses it. From my understanding, ignoring the going to the ground piece, a receiver must control the ball for enough time after getting both feet down to establish being a runner (and thus have possession). So from the time he lands on his second foot from the jump to losing the ball is maybe just over half a second? Is that enough time establish yourself as a runner (be ready to avoid or ward off a tackler)? Maybe, but I'd say it's debatable and an overturn requires indisputable evidence.

That said, I think the above is moot. How is he not going to the ground when he ends up flat on his back? In a Bears vs. Packers game in 2009, we had a Greg Jennings non-catch in which Greg caught the ball as he was finishing one step, had Tillman jump on his back, completes another step, and on the third step has the ball punched out by Tillman before they go to ground. The NFL ruled it incomplete as Jennings was said to be going to ground. If two and a half steps and then falling is going to ground, I don't know how Tate isn't.

The bottom line is it's a poorly structured rule. Any rule that calls Dez Bryant's play a drop and Tate's a catch when Dez controlled the ball probably two to three times as long is a shit rule.
Born and bred a cheesehead
DakotaT
8 years ago
I'll be surprised if McCarthy doesn't get a fine for his comments. I thought they were Busch League to be honest.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

I'll be surprised if McCarthy doesn't get a fine for his comments. I thought they were Busch League to be honest.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

In fairness, Mike has held it back in some pretty remarkable situations. The Fail Mary for example. And the pie hole-opening of Wilson and Carroll afterwards.

I remember when Mike Sherman went off on Sapp after that cheap shot on Cliffy. That was more inappropriate than what Mike McCarthy did here. Still, it would behoove him to shut it. No use turning the zebras against us, when Aaron's trying to milk the free plays.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
8 years ago

In fairness, Mike has held it back in some pretty remarkable situations. The Fail Mary for example. And the pie hole-opening of Wilson and Carroll afterwards.

I remember when Mike Sherman went off on Sapp after that cheap shot on Cliffy. That was more inappropriate than what Mike McCarthy did here. Still, it would behoove him to shut it. No use turning the zebras against us, when Aaron's trying to milk the free plays.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Agreed. I'm not going to lambaste Mike McCarthy for this (or if I initially did, I retract my lambasting). Generally he's been tactful in these situations, this was just an uncharacteristic lapse, albeit a short one.

Fan Shout
beast (15h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (15h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (15h) : fuck
beast (16h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (16h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (16h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (16h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (17h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (18h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (19h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (19h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.