Mucky Tundra
8 years ago
Another factor helping the Chargers out: dumb luck. I mean, Allen and Gates are good but those two receptions were just crazy.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
steveishere
8 years ago

Or maybe the pass rush and repeated blitzing helped a lot and we just failed to realize it. Packers defensive plan seemed to be force the ball out of Rivers hands ASAP and they did just that (just as the Steelers did the game before).

The Chargers offense is known for trying to go deep and so the best way to limit that offense is to limit how often they can go deep. Chargers have won all the games where Rivers has averaged 9 yards per throw and lost all the games where he's been under 9. The key to this game was to try to limit the big plays down the field and limit Rivers yards per throw.

There are two ways to do that...

1) Conservatively by playing cover 2 or Tampa 2 and force everything underneath which would probably be the best way to go IF you have the players to play cover 2... but do the Packers have the players to play cover 2? ... Maybe if they're all healthy, but without Raji and Burnett (both would be needed to play cover 2) (also missing Richardson for depth) and lots of young guys at CB, and their WRs being bigger and more physical than our CBs. With all that going on coverage 2 probably isn't the best path.

2) Aggressively blitz the heck out of them which the Steelers and Packers and they both won. The down side here is you have to make sure you don't make a mistake as a DB and let them make a play deep and miss a tackle which lets them go to the end zone.

They tried a lot of adjustments and mixed the I think they tried a lot of adjustments... using a lot of different coverage and blitzes and nothing was confusing the Chargers, they goal was to force the ball out of Rivers hands ASAP and they did that, but Rivers still found guys and the targets still made plays.

Originally Posted by: beast 

When blitzing is ineffective the cure isn't yet more blitzing. They obviously had a plan for it and they weren't getting home. Rivers has been playing the short game all year, I believe he has one of the highest percentages of his yardage from YAC of any QB in the league. Heavy blitzing just plays into exactly what they have been doing this year and is probably what they wanted to see. They had a patchwork offensive line and completely abandoned the run. If that's not an invitation to throw some pass rushers out there (Clay/Daniels/Jones/Peppers) to pin their ears back and play coverage so Rivers has to hold the ball a little longer then nothing is.
beast
8 years ago

When blitzing is ineffective the cure isn't yet more blitzing. They obviously had a plan for it and they weren't getting home. Rivers has been playing the short game all year, I believe he has one of the highest percentages of his yardage from YAC of any QB in the league. Heavy blitzing just plays into exactly what they have been doing this year and is probably what they wanted to see. They had a patchwork offensive line and completely abandoned the run. If that's not an invitation to throw some pass rushers out there (Clay/Daniels/Jones/Peppers) to pin their ears back and play coverage so Rivers has to hold the ball a little longer then nothing is.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Rivers picked apart the DBs when given very little time... your assuming that with more time he couldn't do the same with an extra LB in coverage? The LBers couldn't keep up with the speed RBs.

The only thing the Packers might of been able to do is throw more DBs at them. But all of the healthy Safeties were in the game... so throw more rookie CBs at Rivers? Who was ripping away the rookie CB that was already on the field...

It's simple with the Packers injuries, and the Chargers talents they gave us a lot of match up problems... they seemed to try a couple different things before settling on blitzing the hell out of them.

Hopefully we'll get Burnett and Raji back and the match up problems will go away.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
8 years ago
I am going to give credit where it was due and that was to the Chargers and Rivers. They had a game planned and stuck with it. People seem to forget Rivers is usually in the top 5 for Passing yards every year, so he knows how to play the game. The only screw up I seen from Rivers was missing a wide open Woodhead on 2nd or 3rd down and then coming back with the same play on 4th that I think everyone in the stadium knew was coming. I called it in chat before the play and it was still open if Rivers throws the ball sooner. But Randall knocked it down and we escape with a very good win for us.

Hats off to the Chargers they played a great game but for a few mistakes cost them. On our end I was happy with the defense they are still doing slot better than I thought they would, but what the hell happened to our so called awesome offense. The great Aaron Rodgers hasn't done much the last 2 games.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
After rewatching a lot of the plays, I didn't see many times our guys were out of position. Rivers and his receivers were hitting high percentage completions with speed and accuracy. And a few of those catches were against lock-down coverage and were just amazing plays by the QB and WR. The speed, efficiency and timing of their passing office was a beauty to behold honestly. I can only have that perspective being on the winning end though 😉
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.